Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing transmission for 3 hours, still stuck. 0.75" Gap, pilot bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So does anyone else have suggestions on that top starter bolt, short of removing the intake manifold?
    sigpic

Comment

Also, how can I get my engine moved back toward the rear. I've never had it forward of the mounts like this and can't find a way to gain leverage with a cheater bar
      sigpic

Comment

Engine lift?

1988 Bronzitbeige Metallic 325e 2-door S50 turbo (OO=( )=OO)
        2008 VW Rabbit
        1991 Audi 200 20vtq Wagon

Comment

Right, yeah I live in an apt and I don't have the space to keep an engine lift
          sigpic

Comment

What about a 2x4 under the oil pan and a jack?

How did you get it off the mounts?

2008 VW Rabbit

Comment

I've been using a 4x4 and a jack to lift at the oil pan. Problem is once I lift it, I can't get leverage to shove the engine backward. I think lifting it also shoves it against the firewall, complicating the problem of I guess having to not only shove it backwards but tilt it as well.
              sigpic

Comment

Is the tranny mount in yet?

2008 VW Rabbit

Comment

The transmission is bolted to the engine, but it is not fastened to the car. Two things still hanging me up.. getting that top starter bolt and moving this motor toward the rear. Then I can be done with this project.
                  sigpic

Comment

Well, for the starter bolt, you should get a friend to hold it in place from the engine bay while you tighten the bolt from under the car.

For the motor, you should make sure the tail of the trans is lifted up to where it would normally sit. Then jack the motor up just enough to clear the studs on the mounts. Push.

Next time, don't take it off the front mounts like that. Not sure what the point of it even was.

2008 VW Rabbit

Comment

If you don't rent a hoist, you will have a hell of a problem.

I also have one other suggestion, not listed here, yet.

Put the transmission into 5th gear and wiggle the output flange. With a jack supporting the tailshaft region level with the crankshaft, and push the jack with your feet.

Comment

Upon several people's suggestions I raised the motor to tilt down the transmission. Had to do this in order to reach the top transmission bolt with a dremel and cut off the head.

I'll try your suggestion, raise tranny first to level position and then motor. Hopefully this will keep it from hitting the firewall.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                          If you don't rent a hoist, you will have a hell of a problem.

I also have one other suggestion, not listed here, yet.

Put the transmission into 5th gear and wiggle the output flange. With a jack supporting the tailshaft region level with the crankshaft, and push the jack with your feet.
                          Ah so get leverage on the transmission instead of the engine. I'm sure I'll be trying that as well. Thanks
                          sigpic

Comment

Also, I'll have to look into renting.. I had no idea you could rent an engine hoist
                            sigpic

Comment

Wow.. way more success than I was suspecting

I raised the tranny and low and behold due to the engine being so far forward I could reach the starter nut/bolt from the top. Stuck a box end wrench on it, and completely tightened it down. Problem 1 solved.

I then tried raising the engine but it wouldn't give.. because the tranny was already up. So put the tranny down, raised the engine, then raised the tranny and was able to start working on the engine placement. I had to *cringe* use the steering rack for leverage to move the engine backward, but I got it eventually. Problem 2 solved

So now, of course with my luck... throughout all of this shenanigans I somehow sprung a coolant leak. It is dripping from the bottom of the bellhousing. It dripped rapidly (about 3 drips per second) after I had the engine settled on its mounts and with the transmission still raised. When I lowered the transmission to let it hang the drip slowed to about one every 15 seconds or more.

I noticed a small puddle of coolant in the area circled in red, but it was motionless and didn't seem to be related to the problem. Everywhere around the top of the bellhousing was dry from what I could see/feel... Anybody run into something similar before?

The title of this thread should have been "How many new problems will I run into before the thread is over"
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Way too much trouble and effort for a lowly Eta. Just donate it to pick-n-pull already.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Working...
                                X