Problem with injectors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with injectors

So I did a search and couldn't find an answer as far as install questions.

I took the manifold off today to do a black wrinkle finish. I've had the 4 pintle, 19# mustang injectors for a while now and figured while I'm in there, I'll go ahead and drop them in.

Now, the seals fit just like the OE ones, but the 5.0 injectors are just a hair too short. The fuel rail brackets wouldn't allow the rail to go down low enough to tightly seat the injectors. I ended up shaving the brackets (the two little screw holes where it bolts to the manifold) to allow it to go down more.

Everything seemed fine but when I got it all back together, the #4 started leaking from the bottom. I took the manifold back off and looks like the rail wasn't pushed down all the way as I was able to push it down more.

Problem solved right? No, got it all back together and now it was leaking from the top.

I haven't taken it back apart because it got way too dark outside..I hate working at night.

So, is there any other modification necessary to have them seat firmly in place?
    1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

got the part # on the new injectors handy?
    past:
    1989 325is (learner shitbox)
    1986 325e (turbo dorito)
    1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
    1985 323i baur
    current:
    1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

I don't, I can't remember the name of the guy I got them from on here. He bought them as a set of 8 but only needed 4. He said they worked fine on his car.

Comment

I vaguely recall reading on M42Club that if certain injectors are used they don't quite seat right and a spacer? of some sort was used. Look around, I am sure you can find it in the mustang injector thread over there.

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a look

Comment

Ok, I tore it all down again...the number 4 just didn't seat correctly on the top. Got it all put back together...no more leaks. Now I'm misfiring though...it sounds and feels like its running on 3 cylinders. I checked and re checked, everything is put back together the way it should be.

Other then the possibility that a bought crap injectors, what else could possibly cause a misfire?

Comment

Oh, and as I just noticed....my ABS light is on now and the ABS isn't working at all. I would say its unrelated but that's never given me a problem before.

Comment

Well, the ABS is probably that relay under the dash and probably unrelated to the misfire.

Wish I could remember off the top of my head which position sensor controls single or batch fire of the injectors, try unplugging them one by one and see if the misfire continues. Is the poor running at idle or actual operating RPM?

Comment

My guess is a vacuum leak, something that got missed when you put the manifold back on.

And some injectors are a bit shorter then stock. More info here:

Scroll down to post #63.

Comment

It does it at every RPM range. I started poking around with a stethoscope to listen to the injectors..they all sound identical and are ticking like normal.

New development though...I started spraying brake clean on different hoses and gasket areas to check for leaks. Now the CEL comes on sitting at idle but turns off with minimal throttle input.

I decided to check spark while I was at it...my number 3 spark plug tube was soaked in oil. Just that one...the plug looks fouled so I'm running to get a plug now since the rest are fairly new.
                    Last edited by InNeedOfBoost; 03-01-2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by InNeedOfBoost View Post
                      It does it at every RPM range. I started poking around with a stethoscope to listen to the injectors..they all sound identical and are ticking like normal.

New development though...I started spraying brake clean on different hoses and gasket areas to check for leaks. No the CEL comes on sitting at idle but turns off with minimal throttle input.

I decided to check spark while I was at it...my number 3 spark plug tune was soaked in oil. Just that one...the plug looks fouled so I'm running to get a plug now since the rest are fairly new.
                      Soaked in oil from below or from a leaky valve cover plug well gasket?

Comment

It was just the boot and top of the plug, looks like some oil may have seeped in after taking off the valve cover to paint it last week. I put new plugs in anyway, it was getting close to time.

I took it for a test drive around the neighborhood after the new plugs to get it up to running temp, thought maybe the ECU needed some time to calibrate...still nothing. Afterward, I listened to the injectors again and they are all still firing like normal. Re checked vacuums as well and they all seem fine as far as I can see.

I'm seriously at a loss here. I went ahead and bought new seals for the old injectors, going to put those in tomorrow and see if that solves the issue..if so, then its bad injectors. If not, I have no idea...I may throw in the towel there and take it to the local Euro shop for a diagnostic.

Unless anyone else has something new to add...I'm beyond frustrated with this.

Comment

Would the car be safe to drive with a slight misfire? I read on e46fanatics that the ECM will shut down an injector if it detects a misfire and that even though the CEL is not on, it can still store a code?

Comment

Did you set a screwdriver (or anything metal) on each injector to make sure it is firing?

The car should be fine to drive with a misfire, just exercise normal caution, you know nothing above 3k and so on.

I don't think the car will shut down an injector if it detects a misfire as there is no sensor to tell it which cylinder is doing so.

The car should store any code that was on intermittently, stomp away.

Normally, the CEL clearing with throttle indicates too much air is getting into the system or so it seems, take that as you will. It could mean anything from O2 sensor issues to AFM flap/carbon track to the simple (maybe) vac leak.

Track the issue down on your own, chances are the shop will just do everything you do and charge you whatever their rate is an hour. So, when in doubt, go back through everything, check resistance on sensors and try to narrow the problem down piece by piece.

Comment

Set a screwdriver to hear it? If so.. I used a stethoscope... they all sound identical and sound like they are firing normal. I'll look up how to read codes on it...maybe that will point me in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                              X