M42 ticking when driven angressive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 ticking when driven angressive

Hey, My 318is from 89 is causing me a little frustration. When i drive it normally on the road it doesnt say anything. it is just normal and good but when i take it down a twisty road and push it to the limit with drifts and stuff the ticking starts. What is this making this to happen? Cam shafts getting hot? How can I solve this problem??
    Best regards William

Hydraulic valve lifters are oil-pressure driven. When you push the car, something is causing a drop in oil pressure or perhaps air getting into the pump, something along those lines. Examine all points of possible oil pressure loss, test system pressure with a mechanical gauge, and if you don't find anything unusual you may have lifters going bad.

Comment

Oil starvation from aggressive driving isn't uncommon. The next time you want to go drive spirited try adding an extra 1/2 quart of oil.

M42 turbo build.
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

Okay thank you very much guys. I better check the oil level then :)

Comment

Originally posted by willy-guldager View Post
          318is from 89
          Wait what?

What oil weight are you using? You shouldn't be under 20-50 in the warm and not much lower than that if it's cold. That could also cause ticking.
          The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
          Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
          2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
          2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
            Wait what?

What oil weight are you using? You shouldn't be under 20-50 in the warm and not much lower than that if it's cold. That could also cause ticking.

bullshit oil weight has nothing to do with ticking im running 5-30 no tick what so ever he either has clogged shitty lifters, a pump with worn down teeth or ethier of the above
            Originally posted by bmwm42
            PNW vulture pm me for parts
            Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

If his pump is worn, thicker oil will help up the oil pressure. Thin oil can create low pressure.

Comment

Working...
              X