Cant Find 1st or 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HennaE30 View Post
    What year is your car? mine had a similar issue with the shifter positioning, and it needed a complete shifter rebuild, because one of the bushings that holds the carrier in place in the back was missing, allowing the carrier to move around.
    Mine's an 87 and it does seem like my shifter moves a lot. I am going to get it up in the air one night this week before I head to the pull a part Saturday. I watched a getrag video and I think I may be able to take the shifter lose and then try to actuate 1st or 2nd manually with my hand. If it's no dice I may grab a tranny too. I sure hope not though, I want to spend money on go fast stuff or at least look decent stuff lol.
    sigpic87 325E The Honey Badger

Comment

I do believe you have a shifter problem if it's touching the shifter bezel but if you can get it into reverse you should be able to get it into 1st and 2nd gear.

If you couldn't get it into 1 and 2 when the car was off I would say it would be something to do with 1/2 shift fork but you can so...I'm at a loss.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
      sigpic
      Rebuilding since 07/06/2016

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
        I do believe you have a shifter problem if it's touching the shifter bezel but if you can get it into reverse you should be able to get it into 1st and 2nd gear.

If you couldn't get it into 1 and 2 when the car was off I would say it would be something to do with 1/2 shift fork but you can so...I'm at a loss.

I can't get 1st or 2nd rolling it, I can't get them at all. My shop said either forks or shifter but more than likely both my bushings are shot. I hope it's the ladder.

Comment

Ok, so it doesn't matter if the car is on or off...it still doesn't go into 1st or 2nd?

sigpic

Poorboyz Parts For Sale - Updated 01/20/17 - Will be updated soon - Have many parts to post

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

No it doesn't matter, so I know it's not the syncro's. The forks are pretty beefy in these trannys idk how you could bend them unless you Conan'd then in or something lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullhead View Post
              No it doesn't matter, so I know it's not the syncro's. The forks are pretty beefy in these trannys idk how you could bend them unless you Conan'd then in or something lol.

The "e" forks are weaker than the "i" ones.. The fork in my old trans was bent... I had a very similar issue to you. My bushings were so shot that reverse was like between your legs, and 2nd was damn near impossible. I would get the car on stands and take some pictures so we can help you diagnose your problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Originally posted by flyboyx
              how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?
              Originally posted by Northern
              beer is my new liver cleanse.

Henna - '84 Hennarot 325e
              Lola - '89 Schwarz 325is - being saved
              Christine - '88 Schwarz 325is - Spec E30 Racecar
              '01 White F150 Lariat 4x4 Supercrew - Daily
              Dad's '05 Interlagosblau M3

Comment

Originally posted by Bullhead View Post
                Ok, so what I'm thinking is that the 1/2 shift fork is stuck, not bent. I've had the G260 apart a few times and am pretty familiar with it. Unfortunately you will have to split the case open to see for sure what is going on.
                sigpic

Poorboyz Feedback Thread

Comment

Thanks for the replies. If it is stuck can I take a small (and I mean the little bitty) dead blow hammer and give it a couple taps to see what happens? I will take pics as well, thanks again. And I mean to tap on the linkage at the tranny with the shifter off of it. I will try to get the shifter out and and try to actuate 1st and 2nd manually before I start the "just tap it in" goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
                    Ok, so what I'm thinking is that the 1/2 shift fork is stuck, not bent. I've had the G260 apart a few times and am pretty familiar with it. Unfortunately you will have to split the case open to see for sure what is going on.

Good point.. Never thought about it being stuck. OP I think you have enough info to know where to start. Definitely take pictures though, like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. And we will try to help you the best we can.

how about if i yank the anal beads out of your ass like i'm trying to pull start a chain saw?

Comment

Right on and tomorrow I will get it in the air on jack stands. I will get some good pics and a little bump action on the dead blow if needed.

Comment

Yeah I'm leaning towards shift fork. I'm sure the idiot messed it up when the slave went trying to force the car in gear with the clutch engaged.

Comment

The "e" forks are weaker than the "i" ones..

I don't believe there is a difference, as there is no "e" or "i" -specific transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by cunninglinguist View Post
                            I don't believe there is a difference, as there is no "e" or "i" -specific transmission.

I thought there was? Atleast from 85+ were different than 84, thought that they beefed up the forks and syncros later on? Could be wrong, probably am.

Comment

The "e" forks are weaker than the "i" ones..
                              Why would the shift forks be weaker on the e? The e makes more torque than the i so if anything, the transmission would be stronger, not weaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquidity View Post
                                Why would the shift forks be weaker on the e? The e makes more torque than the i so if anything, the transmission would be stronger, not weaker.

It was something I thought I read somewhere.. Lol don't listen to me

Comment

Working...
                                X