No announcement yet.

Cant Find 1st or 2nd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI, Jordan broke two selector forks in his car with a mis-shift, so damage is definitely possible.

That was a fun night. 300 miles from home, changing out a transmission starting at 11pm the day before the e30 picnic. Good times, good times...

Comment

Ok had to take a break only one bolt holding it in, I am assuming I can just man handle it out because it has the aluminum case and I have done so with cast iron tranny's, ima look the weight up real quick just to make sure. If I had a dug out or lift this would have just took 3 hours or so but I have a C5-C7 spinal fusion in my neck and the titanium plate won't let my neck bend to get up under inside the tunnel or I would have been done Friday night. I am going to go ahead and build a concrete dugout this fall I think, I will just have to borrow my friends little termite then these things will be much simpler.
      sigpic87 325E The Honey Badger

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
        FYI, Jordan broke two selector forks in his car with a mis-shift, so damage is definitely possible.

That was a fun night. 300 miles from home, changing out a transmission starting at 11pm the day before the e30 picnic. Good times, good times...
        Lol right on, I'm in the back yard so I'm not as bad of as you guys I don't think. If this wasn't in my top 3 dream cars I would have beat the shitake mushrooms out of it by now lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Poorboyz View Post
          No, detent cover is on top of the back case. It's looks like half of a 3 peanut shell.

Top left on this picture.

Be careful...there are springs and ball bearings under it.
          Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk
          Roger that, I am almost there I will pop it off and see what happens, like I said I'm going to be gentle because if it doesn't kick out or so I am going to sell it to someone for a good clean parts tranny. The oil inside didn't look bad at all so I am assuming it's just stuck.

Comment

Tranny is on the ground WOOT lol. Once I removed the exhaust and I could get my head into position it really wasn't that bad. I saw a couple things I am going to change to make installing the next one easier. 1, I am going to thread the top starter bolt hole on the starter but the bottom is ok so I will leave it, 2, I am going to remove some of the 1/2" matting ( I assume this is a sound barrier/heat barrier from the cab) and replace it with a high heat mat that is only 1/16"s thick, this will make getting sockets and a visual much easier, and an updated matting will be much better imo. I am also going to hold off on reinstalling till I can scoop up a good clutch because the one in the car is the original and I don't want to do this again for a while lol. I will prob just grab a Sachs kit my research says they are a good clutch even if adding small boost to the engine. I will try the "just tap it in" test latter as I was working in the rain and my butt got wet so I am calling it a day lol.

Comment

Woohoo. Good work!

Good call on doing the clutch now too. Taking the transmission out is a real chore.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy.B View Post
                Woohoo. Good work!

Good call on doing the clutch now too. Taking the transmission out is a real chore.
                Yeah it wasn't the easiest trans R&R I have done, it get's really tight on the top 2 bolts and top starter bolt, plus I was looking at everything so that really killed me on time.

Comment

Good job bro.
                  Originally posted by Andy.B
                  Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                  1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                  ~~~~~~~~~~
                  I was born on 3/25…
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                    Good job bro.
                    Thaks, you guys were a HUGE help. Is there a good bargain clutch for these cars? I am so strapped right now but I know if I bolt the tranny back up without a clutch I will regret it.

Comment

I was reading last night and what I get is you don't wanna go for a cheap clutch lessin' you only need it to function for a year or so. If you are gonna motor swap, I bet there's cheap ones out there.

Not too high but good: Just a Sachs clutch disk for $131

Not cheap either, but better: Sachs clutch disk and pressure plate for $243
                      Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                      ~~~~~~~~~~
                      I was born on 3/25…
                      ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Roger that, yeah my 3-5 year plan is too m50 or m52 this car maybe, or do a I flywheel conversion. I know the dual mass flywheel is ridiculously expensive and it can't be resurfaced so I am going to go cheap until I do a swap. I may just go with a new disc because the factory Sachs pressure plate is prob better than a new cheap one.

Comment

Those new fangled motors are over-rated. Period correct is where it's at...
                          ~~~~~~~~~~
                          I was born on 3/25…
                          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
                            Those new fangled motors are over-rated. Period correct is where it's at...
                            Brother I am totally with you there as well. I am going to grab me an E head because everyone pretty much tosses them, and port it, and I will go ahead and stuff some bigger valves in it. I am going to play with it and see what happens. I sold my flow bench but the guy still lets me roll in and use it whenever I want. This way all I will need is a regrind cam and a squid chip, no harness mods or anything like that, it will be a work in progress so to speak. I am going to at least go to the single mass flywheel though, then I can have it resurfaced or replaced much, much cheaper lol.

Comment

But then again an m52 is a beast lmbo, we will see what the future and my wallet holds.

Comment

Working...
                              X