Canadian 318is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roadrunner View Post
    And did you just sneak in that you're planning an engine swap or did I miss something earlier? Details? :)
    Haha thats the plan for next winter. Looking into an M50/M52 at the moment but that might change before the time comes.

As for this winter, I'm focusing on tightening up the suspension and drivetrain so I can enjoy the car as it is next summer before the swap.

In the meantime...out with the old and in with the new. CAtuned hooked it up and shipped me out a ZHP knob to replace the old broken knob from the previous owner.

Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

It was awesome to finally see your 318is in person! I hope you don't mind that we couldn't keep our hands off of your car. ;) If you're up for some serious detailing / paint correction when I get my new car, let me know!
      1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
      Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

It was awesome to finally see your 318is in person! I hope you don't mind that we couldn't keep our hands off of your car. ;) If you're up for some serious detailing / paint correction when I get my new car, let me know!
        Sounds good! I'll have to take you up on that offer for sure.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

Beautiful purchase man! Always good to see another Canadian 318is owner on here. Cant wait to see what you do with her in the future.
          sigpic
          91' 318is Brilliantrot
          Yes, it still has an m42

Comment

Nice paint restoration!

Comment

No big updates to post lately due to work and other life stuff keeping me busy.

We got snow up here a few days ago so now the roads have salt on them so the 318 is in the garage for the winter. Now I can commit to more in depth work since it will be off the road until April.

For now I'll just be stock piling parts until after the new year and hopefully start getting more into it come January time.

In the meantime here are some pics from the last drive of the season before I put it away.

Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Man e30s are sooo much nicer arent they??

Great catch on the iS!

Comment

New parts day!

Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

Picked up some more parts this past week. Had a friend 'donate' an Mtech 1 wheel to me for nothing. Needs a bit of love, I'm planning on doing a full rewrap but still a great score!

Also picked up an E36 rack to swap. It also needs love (mostly cleaning) but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

...and on a side note, picked up a new daily driver. Needed more space for hauling the dogs and couldn't pass up on the better fuel economy considering I commute 160km each day for work.

Steve • Toronto
                    1991 318is • Brillantrot
                    Build Thread

Comment

Was able to set aside some time today to refresh the set of euro grilles I picked up a couple weeks back. I used the 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and boiled linseed oil which turned out to work great.

I also need to replace the grille foam. Anyone know a good, cheap replacement? Or is it best to just reorder OEM foam?

Before.

Before (top), after cleaning with rubbing alcohol. After 50/50 mix applied and excess rubbed off (bottom).

And installed.

Steve • Toronto
                      1991 318is • Brillantrot
                      Build Thread

Comment

Looks much better! I may have to try this on mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                          I also need to replace the grille foam. Anyone know a good, cheap replacement? Or is it best to just reorder OEM foam?
                          I need to order the exact same thing for my car (the foam on the grills was glued to the hood with ice and ripped off when the hood was opened :(). I was going to check this week if our buddy in the parts department could order it with some other parts I need. From what I've read, the OEM foam comes in a big roll with enough for multiple cars. Maybe we could split the roll?

...and on a side note, picked up a new daily driver. Needed more space for hauling the dogs and couldn't pass up on the better fuel economy considering I commute 160km each day for work.
                          Nice new daily! What do the dogs think of it? :)
                          1994 E30 316i Design Edition Touring / 1991 E30 318is / 1992 E34 M5
                          Instagram: @ro4d_runn3r

Comment

I need to order the exact same thing for my car (the foam on the grills was glued to the hood with ice and ripped off when the hood was opened :(). I was going to check this week if our buddy in the parts department could order it with some other parts I need. From what I've read, the OEM foam comes in a big roll with enough for multiple cars. Maybe we could split the roll?

Nice new daily! What do the dogs think of it? :)
                            I could definitely go in on that and split the roll!

They love it - more space to spread out after the park and TDI means longer road trips!
                            Steve • Toronto
                            1991 318is • Brillantrot
                            Build Thread

Comment

I need some foam for my M3, so we could buy a 25' roll from our parts guy and split it three ways. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Shock(/\)ave View Post
                                I need some foam for my M3, so we could buy a 25' roll from our parts guy and split it three ways. ;D
                                Done deal.
                                Steve • Toronto
                                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                                Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X