CM5908 Light Bulbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CM5908 Light Bulbs?

I took the volume/scan knob PCB out of my radio to clean in isopropyl. While it was out, I noticed that the illumination bulb was a little crusty/burnt. As I was scraping it, one of the leads broke.

Does anyone have a technical manual for this radio? Are these the correct bulbs?
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Did you ever go about replacing the bulbs? How’d it go? About to do it myself to a CM5908.
    📸 @joyfilledpursuit
    📖 John 3:16-18

Comment

These bulbs are much smaller than the bulb behind the volume knob. I believe the bulbs I ordered are for back lighting the LCD and the buttons. I still used one of these bulbs for the volume knob, but it's definitely not the same as the factory bulb.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]

Comment

How was desoldering and resoldering? The solder joints for the bulbs look super small, I tried removing one but couldn’t get all the solder joint off and I was beginning to worry I was going to fry the board if I heated any more.
        📸 @joyfilledpursuit
        📖 John 3:16-18

Comment

Can you take a picture? What tools are you using? At the very least you will need a solder sucker and probably solder wick braid to get the old solder off.

Comment

I just used a solder wick, which makes things easier than trying to use a solder sucker. It takes some patience, but it's doable.
            sigpic

Comment

A flux pen or wick with flux loaded into it can help a lot, especially on these really old and oxidized solder joints.

Comment

Working...
              X