Carbon Driveshaft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Driveshaft?

I was thinking about using a carbon 1 piece driveshaft. I was quoted about 1500 for one custom made using the original steel ends. Is that good, bad, normal? Anyone know who of some companies that make them?

Brian

Seems like a waste of money to me, the stock driveshaft isn't all that heavy anyway.

Comment

not terribly heavy but weight is weight, and a one piece unit seems like a much better idea, stronger al least.

Brian

Comment

Someone has been playing Gran Turismo . . . . ;)
        San Diego BMW repair -> Jake @ www.littlecarshop.com Great guy :up:

Comment

I think an aluminum option would be more practical.
          '92 MTech cabrio: Tesla P85 powered

IG: telsa_bimmer

'95 Alpine M3 5.3 LS, Precision 7675, TH400/Gear Vendors OD
          10.4@136 pump gas at 3530lbs. (SOLD)

Comment

If it's one piece, how do you supposed to put a CSB on it?

Comment

Originally posted by BS87
              If it's one piece, how do you supposed to put a CSB on it?
              it would defeat the purpose of a 1pc if you tried to modify the 1pc shaft for a CSB wouldnt it? 1pc driveshaft sounds like a bad idea to me.
              IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

I dont see why? Its less prone to failing. And there is no extra parts to repace.

Brian

Comment

maybe for track use a 1pc is good, but for street use with all the bumps and uneven surfaces, i say the regular OEM heavy steel pieces with a swivelling joint and bearing is your best bet for daily driving. just my $0.02

Comment

Well the people that i talked to said they make them for all applications, fleet usage, trash trucks, race, anything.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian 89 325i
                      Well the people that i talked to said they make them for all applications, fleet usage, trash trucks, race, anything.

Brian
                      theres also companys that make 3foot tall CF wings for street use....but u dont see me puttin that on my car...

Comment

I think if they use them on full size trash trucks that only drive on the street, in super heavy duty stop and go traffic, im pretty sure they'll do fine for a street car.

Brian

Comment

its not worth the money. when i was replacing my guibo i expected the driveshaft to be really heavy but when i unbolted it i relized i could lift it wiht my pinkey

Comment

I just removed my driveshaft earlier today. As a comparison it's noticably heavier than the one-piece steel driveshaft that was in my Camaro. For street cars I'm pretty sure that the only benefit to a two-piece driveshaft is that it's less prone to vibration than a one-piece. Also considering that the one-piece in that Camaro is still as good as new at 245,000 miles vs. my E30's destroying its u-joints at ~150,000 durability isn't an issue either.

I also would have killed for the E30's to be as easy to remove. Camaro driveshaft removal: Back car onto ramps. Remove 4 bolts holding u-joint to diff input. Pry u-joint out of mount with any handy screwdriver. Slide driveshaft forward, let it drop, pull it out of transmission. Done. Literally a 3 minute job from the time you open the garage door. Oh well, I suppose that's just the price to pay to drive a more refined car...

Making the driveshaft lighter makes a bigger difference in acceleration than removing the same amount of weight anywhere else because it's part of the rotating mass. That being said, unless you're doing serious competitive racing it wouldn't be worth the trouble and expense.

Comment

an aluminum driveshaft would be more than enough and then you wont see a notice able difference in power or performance. A friend of mine swapped his steel freaking 20 pound driveshaft in his mustang with a aluminum one that weighted around 11-12 pounds no real noticable difference though he said that it would shave .1 off his 1/4and he is make over 310 hp to the rear wheels.So I do not think that most E30 would gain anything by lightening the driveshaft rotational mass can be take off rear rotors with drilled ones and look into lighterweight wheels and tires before you really look at drivetrain lightening.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Working...
                              X