Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why?

Comment

Whynot. What would make it "worth it"? Say a turbo/supercharged S50?

Im just throwing out ideas? Also, who make alum. driveshafts, and how much are those.

Brian

Comment

Whynot. What would make it "worth it"? Say a turbo/supercharged S50?

Im just throwing out ideas? Also, who make alum. driveshafts, and how much are those.

Brian

Comment

more power.

Comment

I think a carbon driveshaft is a great idea. How much does the stock one weigh? Dropping weight... especially rotational mass is fantastic.

I would do it if I had the extra cash... I've actually looked into it before and was unable to find anyone to do it for me... but then again.. I asked for it to be two piece.

Do you think we can really get away with a one piece design?

What company was going to make it... perhaps we can get a deal for two?

Comment

These guys quoted me 1500 if i send in some steel end pieces for them to attace the shaft to.

Brian

Comment

Brian, how about you give them a call and ask how much to make two. Maybe we can get a better price?

Comment

I can think of so many more power mods that would be more worthwhile for $1,500.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by turboe30
                    How much does the stock one weigh? Dropping weight... especially rotational mass is fantastic.
                    Like 10, 13 lbs?

Comment

you can buy a better motor for 1500 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                        I can think of so many more power mods that would be more worthwhile for $1,500.
                        My mod list is pretty huge already. :D

Comment

Yeah, seriously, this isnt for a stock m20. I wont be getting mine for a while anyway, ive got a lot to before then. Like dissemble my entire car. I think with what im planning on itll be a good idea.

Brian

Comment

Well, DigitalWave is right. For $1500 there is a LOT more you can do.

As far as the CSB thing...the CF driveshaft does not need one. If you made a steel driveshaft that long it would see some serious shaft whip (the shafts weight causes it to "bow out" in the middle, & when spinning you would see a sort of second harmonic where it was 'whipping' around off its center axis). CF's stiffness to weight ratio enables it to span up to about 3m. A steel or aluminum shaft cannot do that. Powerwise you would probably feel little to nothing. You would get smoother shifts, longer tranny life and better response from gassing it. The CF shaft would twist a little more at first (has more initial "give") easing the power through the drivetrain and to the wheels, making launches smoother. Search around google for info on this if you want more. I had a big PDF with some graduate-level research on this a while back, but seem to have lost it.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

The only way it could be one piece is if there was a u-joint attached at the end where it attaches to the transmission. The guibo doesn't flex enough on it's own to handle the angle the driveshaft would be at going straight to the differential, and this doesn't even accounty for rear suspension travel. Of course then when you have to add in those few more steel joints it just makes it even less cost effective for the weight reduction that you'll get.

Comment

and this doesn't even accounty for rear suspension travel.
                                Last I checked our cars have IRS. Meaning the differential is mounted to the subframe, hence no movement of the diff.

Comment

Working...
                                X