shaving a flywheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shaving a flywheel

Where can I take my stock flywheel to that will shave and balance it?
    Will an average joe transmission shop have the know how to lighten a BMW flywheel properly?

Originally posted by Schnell 318
    Where can I take my stock flywheel to that will shave and balance it?
    Will an average joe transmission shop have the know how to lighten a BMW flywheel properly?
    I took mine to miami clutch. A big clutch place down here. And they refered me to a machine shop. Just get like 4-5 pounds taken off and get it resurfaced.

Comment

I wouldn't bring it in to your corner transmission store.

Get a phone book and start calling local machine shops and engine builders and you will find a place that can do it. I found a machine shop in my town that did it for $120 (shaved and resurfaced).

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

anyone know what a safe weight to get removed is?

Comment

Originally posted by Schnell 318
          anyone know what a safe weight to get removed is?
          4 to 5 pounds like i said.

Comment

I'm not sure how much the stock weight is, but I think most people bring it down to 12 Lbs.

-Erik

Comment

I thought a stock flywheel is like 24lbs. I could be wrong. I have also heard people getting them down to 12lbs also. E30 gangsta is if better to only have a few pounds shaved off?

Comment

Originally posted by silverfbimmer
                I thought a stock flywheel is like 24lbs. I could be wrong. I have also heard people getting them down to 12lbs also. E30 gangsta is if better to only have a few pounds shaved off?
                If you look at the flywheel, you will see a huge mass of material on the back of the flywheel. You can safely remove all of that material with no ill effects. If you do that, I think it will bring it down to around 12 lbs I think. There is no real point of only shaving off a few pounds. If you are going to do it, might as well remove all of that material from the back of the FW.

-Erik

Comment

Originally posted by erik325i
                  If you look at the flywheel, you will see a huge mass of material on the back of the flywheel. You can safely remove all of that material with no ill effects. If you do that, I think it will bring it down to around 12 lbs I think. There is no real point of only shaving off a few pounds. If you are going to do it, might as well remove all of that material from the back of the FW.

-Erik
                  Incorrect. ( I think ) They told me max was 6 lb before the flywheels looses it rigidity and starts warping. I got a few pounds taken off and it balanced out ok. I wouldnt go more than 6 pounds on mine. Anyone wanna chime in on this.

Comment

My flywheel was 15lbs when finished, Jordan's is 12lbs. It really depends on your machinist.

RISING EDGE

Comment

I've got a machinist who's done about 5 or 6 E30 flywheels for me. The avg. weight ended up at 13lbs, I had mine done even lower to 11lbs. No problems whatsoever, so the estimate of 6lbs being the max you can remove is probably just to cover your machinist's ass.
                      -Ted

Comment

Is there any point whatsoever in buying a lightweight flywheel, if you can have the stock one made almost as light for 1/4 of the cost?
                        Moving sale: Everything Must Go!
                        FS: 2001 740iL Sport, low mileage..... SOLD
                        FS: 1990 Mtec II 325iS, $12,0K OVNO
                        FS: 2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L Navi..... SOLD

FS: New Rieger lip, lachsilber metallic (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)
                        FS: Very rare, new lachsilber metallic E30 Aero pack sideskirts... (WILL INCLUDE W/e30!!)

Extreme 325iS (well, slowly getting there, anyway)......
                        Almost too many mods to list ;-)

Comment

Mine went in like this at 19.35lbs:

Came out at 13.55lbs like this:

SILBER COMBAT UNIT DELTA (M-Technic Marshal)
                          RTFM:http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=56950

Comment

Originally posted by sweetride01
                            Is there any point whatsoever in buying a lightweight flywheel, if you can have the stock one made almost as light for 1/4 of the cost?
                            Most aluminum flywheels are 8lbs, you can't come close to that with a stock one.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                              Most aluminum flywheels are 8lbs, you can't come close to that with a stock one.
                              Does that extra three pounds make a big difference?

-Erik

Comment

Working...
                              X