Got my hands on a LS1, tranny, diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my hands on a LS1, tranny, diff.

I went home for Easter this weekend and me and my stepsisters fiancee start talking about cars. I tell him that some people put the M50, s50 ect. in our cars. I also said that someone put an GTO motor in and I have heard of someone putting an LS1 in. So he proceeds to tell me that he has a guy that has an LS1 and tranny sitting around and he is will to give it to me. The fiancee also says that he has a rearend for it. I can get all of these for probably under $200...wanting to give the guy something.

So anyone know what I should be prepared for. I have seen the threads about other motors but do you think this swap would be worth it?

The motor and tranny have about 78,000 miles on it worked when he pulled it out of the car.

it would basicly be a drag car only, but goddamn that would be fun haha. I say go for it.

Comment

Not being an ass but I saw another car with a similar setup and he was racing road coarses. I would rather it be a road racer than a drag racer, so can I change something for it to be a better road racer? I whole setup is out of a camaro.

Comment

Why would it be drag racer only? The LS1 weighs less than the M20, plus it's shorter which would bring the weight further towards the center of the car as well. The only possible reason it would be less than ideal for road racing is that it's going to be harder to control coming out of turns if you're not used to that kind of power...

Comment

What will I need to complete a project like this? I saw threads but I couldn't find links to LS1 swaps?

Thanks

Comment

carb it, fab your own brackets and drivetrain mounts could probably get away with a e30 diff with a custom drive shaft....

Comment

The diff in the e30 would do the swap okay? I probably would want to upgrade to LSD though because I don't believe that I have one. What else do I need to be concerned about? I have been ready about some of these things and one big concern is the brake booster, why is this?

I would love to keep the same look of the car..17x7.5 koni's (eventually) and GC coilovers, would I need to upgrade these also?

Basically I am asking can I get away with almost just sticking the motor and tranny in, doing some wiring and still have almost a stock running, looking car? I would like a/c but if it needs to go I don't really mind.

Thanks

Comment

Anyone have anything to add? I think this is in the wrong place anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Mastrcruse
                  The diff in the e30 would do the swap okay? I probably would want to upgrade to LSD though because I don't believe that I have one. What else do I need to be concerned about? I have been ready about some of these things and one big concern is the brake booster, why is this?

I would love to keep the same look of the car..17x7.5 koni's (eventually) and GC coilovers, would I need to upgrade these also?

Basically I am asking can I get away with almost just sticking the motor and tranny in, doing some wiring and still have almost a stock running, looking car? I would like a/c but if it needs to go I don't really mind.

Thanks
                  The concern with the brake booster is that the LS1 is a v8 and the passenger
                  side cylinder head would want to occupie the same space the booster is using. The remote booster/master cylinder on the v8 E34s could solve this problem.

You could leave the above suspention/wheels on the car.

Doing a LS1 is far from just sticking the engine/trans it and doing some wiring.
                  This is a complicated swap, not to discourege you, just want you to know what you are geting into.

I think this is a great swap because the weakest LS1 made 330 horse all the way to the current 505hp LS7 in the zo6 vet. Also it is lighter then the M50/S50 engine by 40-60lbs from what i read.

There is a website called v3 racing that specializes in E36 LS1 swaps but it is under construction.

BTW Painless Wireing makes a swap harness for LS1s.

Good luck.

Edit: I ment the drives side cylinder head would want to occupie the same space as the booster.
                  Last edited by E304life; 04-30-2006, 06:18 PM.

Comment

I think it would be no more difficult than the first e30m50 conversion.

If you have a lift it would make this easier. As ^he said you can move the booster straight forward, I would go to the 2002 or the e32 since they are thicker and have a smaller diameter.

Drive shaft is no biggy, I would think... get one from a chevy, have the end welded on, get the length correct and have it all balanced. there are three shops local to me that will do all that for $100.00.

The 3.73 LSD would be badass for that setup... since most muscle car guys ahve taller tires and use the 4.11 9 in ford...

If you can spend a little dough GM sells comepletely self contained EFI systems, extremely user friendly.

DO IT!!!
                    I could come to Ohio for this, I have family there.

Comment

Originally posted by kylebes1
                      I could come to Ohio for this, I have family there.
                      I might have to take you up on this during the summer. I won't be doing it until then. When I have the engine out of the camaro and sitting in the back garage until project "weeks" haha.. should I invest some money in getting it stroked and bored which a buddy can do for pretty cheap?

Do you think this will be reliable?

Originally posted by E304life
                      BTW Painless Wireing makes a swap harness for LS1s.
                      And is the wiring harness you are talking about for the m20 to LS1 swap?

Thanks

Comment

I might have to take you up on this during the summer.
                        Just let me know.

I have had some experience with internal engine work... have them do the entire job, so they will gaurantee it will work properly.

I think a lite rebuild would be a good idea... the Ls1 will be PLENTY of power in stock form. Just think 2700 lbs or so with 300 Lb-ft of torque availble, umm ALL THE TIME!!! I mean the starter alone probably would aout accelerate an eta!

The only wiring you will need is Alternator charging, starter, unloader relay (maybe), possibly an O2 sensor. You may find it easier to replace the factory fuel pump to coinside with the fuel system you use, EFI or Carb.

DO IT!!!

Comment

And is the wiring harness you are talking about for the m20 to LS1 swap?
                          Thanks
                          painless kits replace all the wiring in your car. would have to use all aftermarket gauges for dash, and pull all existing wiring on the chassis.
                          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by golde30
                            painless kits replace all the wiring in your car. would have to use all aftermarket gauges for dash, and pull all existing wiring on the chassis.
                            The gauge cluster might not be to bad. Do you think I can run A/C?

Comment

I could just tell him I basically need the whole damn car and use most of its parts

Comment

Working...
                              X