No announcement yet.

Got my hands on a LS1, tranny, diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wayne's car is no doubt badass (Orange Jager M3) I'm going to email him again in hopes he can take pics of things like the transmission mounts/engine mounts, etc. Last time I talked to him he said his car was in storage for the winter. Obviously you are going to need more than pictures to carry out the swap, but once I get them I'll post them.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
      Wayne's car is no doubt badass (Orange Jager M3) I'm going to email him again in hopes he can take pics of things like the transmission mounts/engine mounts, etc. Last time I talked to him he said his car was in storage for the winter. Obviously you are going to need more than pictures to carry out the swap, but once I get them I'll post them.
      If you could do that it would be a huge help!

Comment

-Yes! some guy on ls1tech has done this too. derek357i, iirc.
        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

I just got a email from a sales rep at painless wiring and he suggestes a stand alone fuel management system. For those who know alittle more, is this necessary?

And will contact these people that you are telling me about when I am ready to do the swap.

Comment

its not nessesary I am using the stock wiring harness except for a fuse block...

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
              the guys at 666 are lookin for someone to donate a car and engine and tranny so they can make a ls1 swap kit
              They can have the car and setup but I would want my car back at the end. You think they would do that?

Comment

dude, if it's carbed the only wiring is the gauges. and alterntor... which you would connect to you factory power wire..... and everything else works.
                carbing it would save you hella time and money, and it's simple....

Comment

So this is what I am basically thinking...540i brake booster, carbing it, puting the motor, tranny, and diff in. Wiring the gauges and connecting to the alternator to the factory power wire. I can still run A/C?

Comment

I have the feeling you're going to do this dude... and take lots of pictures... and make an extensive writeup... a very detailed... comprehensive... writeup... right ;)

I actually have a link to a writeup on the LS1 swap into the e30. It wasn't real detailed but it covered pretty much everything. It's saved on another computer, I'll post it up as soon as I can.

'88 325is
                    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
                    BMWCCA 380364

Comment

-An e30 medium-case diff is pretty stout, like up to 400 lb-ft, so I hear. The guy I was talking about on ls1tech.com is useing a e30 diff. Otherwise, you might need a diff out of a C4 (4th-gen Vette) to still use IRS. F-bodys have solid axles and C5-C6's use transaxle rear-ends... might not work.

-And why carb an LSx? The stand-alone EFI wouldn't be THAT hard to rig up, plus you will probably lose power with a carb. (not like you'll miss it in a 2700 lb car, tho!) If you have your heart set on a carb'd SBC, just use an old one. Sure, it has an iron block, but so does your m20, and they can be picked up with a T5 tranny MUCH cheaper than a LSx/T56.

-Just my $0.02
                      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC
                        I have the feeling you're going to do this dude... and take lots of pictures... and make an extensive writeup... a very detailed... comprehensive... writeup... right ;)

I actually have a link to a writeup on the LS1 swap into the e30. It wasn't real detailed but it covered pretty much everything. It's saved on another computer, I'll post it up as soon as I can.
                        Yea if you could post that when you get a chance that would be great. I just need to know really where to start, so many things to do.

Originally posted by SpecM
                        -An e30 medium-case diff is pretty stout, like up to 400 lb-ft, so I hear. The guy I was talking about on ls1tech.com is useing a e30 diff. Otherwise, you might need a diff out of a C4 (4th-gen Vette) to still use IRS. F-bodys have solid axles and C5-C6's use transaxle rear-ends... might not work.
                        -And why carb an LSx? The stand-alone EFI wouldn't be THAT hard to rig up, plus you will probably lose power with a carb. (not like you'll miss it in a 2700 lb car, tho!) If you have your heart set on a carb'd SBC, just use an old one. Sure, it has an iron block, but so does your m20, and they can be picked up with a T5 tranny MUCH cheaper than a LSx/T56.
                        I am probably going to use an e30 diff which was recommended on the 1st page, so that shouldn't be a problem. Carbing it might happen, might not, there are so many things to workout that I really don't know right now but I will see. Maybe if I can get some help from someone around my house that knows electrical an EFI unit might go in. Also I already am getting an LS1, aluminum block and tranny for maybe around 200-300 so I am not going to switch to an older one

Comment

$200-$300...thats an amazing price.

with a price that cheap i'd take the car to a "race shop" and have them fab mounts for the trans and engine, and make you an oilpan and headers. then wire it yourself with a stand alone EFI setup and run autometer gauges.

the wiring is pretty simple. you rip out everything from your E30 leaving only the battery +/- wires in the engine bay. there should be a way to leave the system that controls the locks, wipers, alarm, stereo, a/c, etc.

an a/c shop should be able to fabricate new lines for you that go from the LS1's compressor to your a/c core.

this is all "theory" as i've never done it.

Comment

[quote=ptownTSI]
                            the wiring is pretty simple. you rip out everything from your E30 leaving only the battery +/- wires in the engine bay. there should be a way to leave the system that controls the locks, wipers, alarm, stereo, a/c, etc.
                            quote]

I will probably do everything you just said because I want to do it right the first time and if I am getting engine and tranny for basically free, I should just do everything to be the best.

Also, should I switch the battery to the back? Yes, this is going into a vert..haha. I have a fab shop working on some X braces to tighter her up a bit.

Comment

oh just wondering what good an fbody rear end is going to do you. lol it will stick out, and its a solid axle 10 bolt rear end.

if you want muscle car IRS look into 80's corvette stuff. i'd just keep the bmw IRS

Comment

put a cage in it, dont worry about body bracing.

Comment

Working...
                                X