Got my hands on a LS1, tranny, diff.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ptownTSI
    oh just wondering what good an fbody rear end is going to do you. lol it will stick out, and its a solid axle 10 bolt rear end.

if you want muscle car IRS look into 80's corvette stuff. i'd just keep the bmw IRS
    I am keeping my rear end. I just need to put a LSD in it because mine does not have one. I am probably going to put a rollbar in so that should do the trick?

Comment

There ya go, but it sucks. Now you make a better one ;)

'88 325is
      VP UT of Austin Autoholics
      BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Thanks for the link

Comment

he mentions a small block ford would fit easier. you can get 5.0HO engines for dirt cheap along with the T5 transmissions. while its no LS1, you can easily get 400 crank hp from a 5.0ho with AFR heads, exhuast and 1.7 roller rockers. AEM has a standalone for them as well.

Comment

The thing is I'm not going to spend money on getting an engine and tranny. When I get the motor, it will be an LS1 w/ tranny for dirty cheap almost free from a friend.

Comment

he mentions a small block ford would fit easier. you can get 5.0HO engines for dirt cheap along with the T5 transmissions. while its no LS1, you can easily get 400 crank hp from a 5.0ho with AFR heads, exhuast and 1.7 roller rockers. AEM has a standalone for them as well.
              Small block ford are also cast iorn so forget about it handling if you were to swap one in. That is one of the main apeals to a LS1 because they are aluminum.

Comment

$200-$300...thats an amazing price.

with a price that cheap i'd take the car to a "race shop" and have them fab mounts for the trans and engine, and make you an oilpan and headers. then wire it yourself with a stand alone EFI setup and run autometer gauges.

the wiring is pretty simple. you rip out everything from your E30 leaving only the battery +/- wires in the engine bay. there should be a way to leave the system that controls the locks, wipers, alarm, stereo, a/c, etc.

an a/c shop should be able to fabricate new lines for you that go from the LS1's compressor to your a/c core.

this is all "theory" as i've never done it.

if your going that far, you may aswell go dry sump, and get the engine LOW in the engine bay.......

Comment

Painless makes the "Perfect" kit for the LS1, hook up a couple wires, and your done. it's all self contained, and the harness is built for the engine only, no trans. It is pricey, they also have the perfect kit available with a cam, programmed and ready to go, tuned for over 400hp. that kit is approx $1500.00.

Wanna go stupid power? I'm in the process of putting in a aluminum headed big block chevy that ran 10's in a 4000lb car running alcohol. It will be detuned some, and run gas in my case.

Comment

Originally posted by jbsjunk
                    Wanna go stupid power? I'm in the process of putting in a aluminum headed big block chevy that ran 10's in a 4000lb car running alcohol. It will be detuned some, and run gas in my case.
                    I generally have nothing against non-BMW engine swaps into BMWs, but that is just overkill...

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvis
                      I generally have nothing against non-BMW engine swaps into BMWs, but that is just overkill...
                      Yeah, ain't it cool?

Comment

Originally posted by E304life
                        Small block ford are also cast iorn so forget about it handling if you were to swap one in. That is one of the main apeals to a LS1 because they are aluminum.
                        DONT SPEAD MISINFORMATION!

The iron ford block only weighs 129 lbs, thats only 20 lbs more than the ls1!!!
                        And if we talk about complete drivelines the ford 5.0 and a t5 tranny will weigh less than a ls1 and t56.

Please dont think that just because it has a iron block that it is heavy and will throw off the balance of the car.

Go to ls1tech and sign up for the forum. they have a shitload of info for ls1 swaps into a variety of vehicles. The wiring on the harness is relatively easy from what i hear and would only take an afternoon or two to convert it to an almost stand alone system.

-Richard

Comment

I've spent alot of time there lately. http://ls1tech.com/forums/forumdispl...aysprune=&f=28 That'll get you to the hybrid forum.

Comment

Working...
                          X