No announcement yet.

5 speed pedal assembly..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea, I'm removing it from an airbagged car and really don't want to take the steering column out. I will go back tommorrow morning and see if I can't get that long bolt out. Its hard working upside down half in mud, without being able to open the door all the way because the junkyard won't move the car for me into an open non muddy area, well finally got the bolt out from cutting the wires in my way, I really hope its easier going in. I can take some pics of just the pedals, what most people remove instead of the whole pedal box.
    Last edited by abepark; 11-13-2007, 06:45 PM.

Comment

remove long bolt..... bolt #28 from post #11 correct? i found an airbagged car with a MT and im planning on grabbing it.
      1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
      1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
      1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
      1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
      1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
      I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

removing that bolt does nothing but allow you to remove the pedals from the box. airbag cars have the box welded onto a longer steering column brace. In addition to that, the box is bolted in around the column with machine screws that have no heads (meaning you'll pretty much need to grind or drill them out).
        The idea of obtaining another pedal box is not worth one's time, considering how easy it is to manage alternatives.
        Nando's solution is an easy one, but with a spring in that configuration, it gets harder to hold the pedal down fully depressed. With the original version, the spring's force was reduced as you neared the end of the stroke, which is nice when you are fighting a clutch spring too.
        I built a bunch of bolt-on brackets ... and i lost them. A picture is in my build thread...

here we go.

so you remove the clutch master cyl and bolt this between the cyl and the pedal box.
        If i ever find them, i'll make them available again.
        Last edited by xLibelle; 11-09-2008, 08:05 PM.

Comment

You don't need that spring. I've said it a bunch of times - it doesn't exist on most airbag cars to begin with. I had both pedal boxes right next to each other, manual and auto were exactly the same.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            You don't need that spring.
            Nando - are you referring to part #22 on the Real OEM diagram? I'm about to start a 5-speed swap and the pedals are the only thing that scares me.

Thanks, Cory
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

it depends. it comes down to this:

non airbag - swap entire pedal box, springs, pedals and all
              airbag - swap pedals, leave original pedal box alone

When I originally posted this thread I was asking about the configuration of the airbag pedal boxes without that big return spring. to my knowledge, nobody has posted pics of what I asked about yet. Everyone keeps going back to that big spring.

I had all the springs for the 5-speed airbag box I purchased but it was disassembled and lying in peices, I didn't know what went where. but I rigged hooked them up the best way I could figure out and it works just fine.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

just pedals. okay now i know what im getting this weekend from the yard....
                1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
                1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
                1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
                1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
                1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
                I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

i would like some pictures of OEM confuguration in a manual airbag car before i believe you nando. yours wont cut it.

Comment

okay, I guess the manual airbag pedal box I bought doesn't count.. :roll:

my pedals do not have a provision for that spring either. I also had a non-airbag pedal box from my parts car.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nando and others:

I apologize for being dense, but there's a lot of conflicting info flying around on this post. I have all the parts complied for the 5-speed swap on my '92 325iC, except for maybe the pedals. I want to be a little more sure that the pedal issue won't derail the project once I've started tearing up my car. Here is what I think I understand so far:

1. I don't need to remove the pedal mounting bracket, just switch out the auto brake pedal for a manual brake and clutch pedal.

Here is what I still am not sure of:

1. If I'm just switching out the pedals, can I use pedals from a non-airbag car? Here are some pedals that I got from Vines Auto Salvage in Alabama. Will they work on my car? I'm including the pictures of the mounting bracket to help identify whether these are non-airbag or with-airbag pedals.

2. If I keep the with-airbag pedal mounting bracket on my car, what does the clutch compression spring (#22 on the realoem diagram) perch against? Is #22 necessary? Nando - did you use #22 on your installation?

Thanks again!

Cory
                      1992 325i Cabrio
                      1988 320i Touring
                      2000 M5
                      1977 530i
                      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                      BMWCCA
                      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                        Nando and others:

I apologize for being dense, but there's a lot of conflicting info flying around on this post. I have all the parts complied for the 5-speed swap on my '92 325iC, except for maybe the pedals. I want to be a little more sure that the pedal issue won't derail the project once I've started tearing up my car. Here is what I think I understand so far:

1. I don't need to remove the pedal mounting bracket, just switch out the auto brake pedal for a manual brake and clutch pedal.

Here is what I still am not sure of:

1. If I'm just switching out the pedals, can I use pedals from a non-airbag car? Here are some pedals that I got from Vines Auto Salvage in Alabama. Will they work on my car? I'm including the pictures of the mounting bracket to help identify whether these are non-airbag or with-airbag pedals.

2. If I keep the with-airbag pedal mounting bracket on my car, what does the clutch compression spring (#22 on the realoem diagram) perch against? Is #22 necessary? Nando - did you use #22 on your installation?

Thanks again!

Cory
                        I think you may be able to use non-airbag pedlas in your airbag pedal box, but I'm not sure, I didn't try it. as far as #22, that's what I've been trying to say, airbag cars do not use that part. There is nowhere to mount it to neither the pedal nor the box, there are no mounting points for it.

The entire point of this thread was to get pictures of an OEM airbag pedal installation to see what springs they used. I had 3 springs that came with my 5-speed airbag pedal box, but it was in peices so I had no idea what went where.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          okay, I guess the manual airbag pedal box I bought doesn't count.. :roll:

my pedals do not have a provision for that spring either. I also had a non-airbag pedal box from my parts car.
                          it would count if you knew how it worked and provided a picture. so far, your eye-rolling has gained us nothing.

Comment

I know how it works - THERE WAS NO PLACE TO MOUNT THE BIG SPRING, ON EITHER THE PEDAL OR THE PEDAL BOX. there were 3 smaller springs that came with it, but I had to use my best guess to put them in the right places. It's been working fine for the last 25000 miles. this pedal box came from a 91 318is.

I was looking for a picture of the OE installation to see if I have my springs in the right place. I don't know how to make that any more clear. maybe you should re-read the first post again?
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i can read your words, and yet they mean nothing until there is clarity. you have stated multiple times, you dont know how the setup goes and its to your understanding that you may have purchased what you describe.
                              And yet i dont think you understand my concern, that the design you have described is backwards in the engineering sense and sounds lacking compared to the early model style.
                              Do not make pointless arguments unless you have forward moving data or an actual picture. Situations like these provide nothing towards the forums.

Comment

no, you're basically calling me a liar. I was the one asking for a picture, you arguing about it and telling ME to supply the picture is contributing less than nothing.

a quick cross reference of part #s - there is no unique part # for the automatic pedal box. the big spring doesn't show as an available part either for a late 318is:

late 325ix automatic:

same part #. are you going to keep arguing about it now?

your concern must not have bothered the BMW engineers, because they found another way using different springs.
                                Last edited by nando; 11-13-2008, 08:49 PM.
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X