No announcement yet.

Topside oil change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't see any reason to do a 'topside' oil change and many reasons not too.
    Everything will migrate to the pan that is missed by the (bypassing) oil filter
    or falls out of suspension of the oil. Draining warm oil from the sump will get most of that out. It's not rocket science or terribly hard to do. I would bring it somewhere to get it changed long before I would ever consider sucking it out the top. In the end it's your engine, you can pay now or pay (more) later...
    1987 325is (Jenna), Love e30's!

Comment

Originally posted by nineteeneightyseven View Post
      I can't see any reason to do a 'topside' oil change and many reasons not too.
      Everything will migrate to the pan that is missed by the (bypassing) oil filter
      or falls out of suspension of the oil. Draining warm oil from the sump will get most of that out. It's not rocket science or terribly hard to do. I would bring it somewhere to get it changed long before I would ever consider sucking it out the top. In the end it's your engine, you can pay now or pay (more) later...
      okay bro
      Originally posted by wholepailofwater
      Q
      :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

I use a Mityvac for topside oil changes on my s52 as it makes them effortless.

For the first couple of extractions I put the car on jacks, sucked the oil out and then took the drain plug out anyway to see if anything was left over and nothing came out.

My 1989 e30 s52 Touring... this is Betty

My 1989 325i vert (sold)...this is Nina

My 1991 M5 (sold)... this is Veronica

Photo comparison: OEM vs aftermarket windscreen for a convertible

Comment

Until now i didn't even know "topside oilchange" was a thing. :oops:

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
            what kind of rubber is it?

When I would do a topside, I would use a vacuum line, they're great at withstanding heat.
            The tubing that goes into the dipstick is nylon and the exhaust tubing is vinyl.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Ludwig View Post
              Until now i didn't even know "topside oilchange" was a thing. :oops:

It really isn't...

Comment

Originally posted by nineteeneightyseven View Post
                It really isn't...
                it is a thing, hence the equipment you can buy to do it..
                Q

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                  it is a thing, hence the equipment you can buy to do it..

You can buy a Flowbee to cut your hair too... doesn't mean you'd want to!
                  Attached Files

Comment

I can see the appeal for those of you that do it every day or week, but damn, it’s not that hard. My f350 I just slide a 5 gal. Bucket under there and open the fumoto valve, then I slide the bucket under the oil filter and unscrew it. On my thirty I just drive up on ramps and open the drain. Unscrew the filter, and 15 minutes later I’m cruising. What’s all the fuss?

I can see some of you with low ride cars having issue with ramps, but otherwise I don’t get why fiddle with pumps and hoses. Are all of you riding so low you can’t drive up onto a 2x4 and a 4x4?
                    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

I can't understand how people are actually trying to argue that a topside is not easier.

topside: open hood, suck out oil

bottom side: jack up car, place jack stands, lower car onto jack stands, slide on the dirty ground, loosen the drain plug but be careful to not remove it, slide catch can underneath, fumble with drain valve and try not to get oil all over your hands, lay under the car for 5 minutes / get back up and then get back under the car later, repeat the whole process in reverse.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

I did both my e30 and my wife's forestor oil and oil filter in the conventional manor in under 1hr.

You are all over thinking it for home use.
                        Last edited by e30davie; 09-12-2018, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Not having to jack the car up at all means you can change the oil anywhere at anytime as well. For me this comes in handy if space is limited with multiple cars or if I don't have access to my jacks.

Anyway this topic isn't up for debate. I just wanted to find the best topside method.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Y’all have never done an oil change on a merc that has that cover underneath

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Q

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                              I can't understand how people are actually trying to argue that a topside is not easier.

topside: open hood, suck out oil

bottom side: jack up car, place jack stands, lower car onto jack stands, slide on the dirty ground, loosen the drain plug but be careful to not remove it, slide catch can underneath, fumble with drain valve and try not to get oil all over your hands, lay under the car for 5 minutes / get back up and then get back under the car later, repeat the whole process in reverse.

I don't believe they are questioning that it is easier or even faster. That however does not make it as good for the life of the engine, just less work for the 'lazy' owner. There is no way that the oil pan gets flushed out as well as draining the warm oil out the sump. If you understand that and find it an acceptable compromise, that's fine.

Comment

Have you done an oil change and left your drain plug off? Did it ever stop dripping? I mean a light consistent stream will flow for 15 minutes

You’re gonna get the same amount of oil out of a car either way, I’d even say more from a top side, but that depends on the location of the plug, shape of the pan and how you jack it up.

The m20s plug is on the passenger side facing outwards, so if you hoist it up on both sides, there’s gonna be son oil sitting on the back side of the sump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Q

Comment

Working...
                                X