Career at a dealership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career at a dealership?

Some background: I quit my manufacturing job over two years ago because my body was wrecked and I'd just had enough of that environment. Given the condition my body is in, especially having tinnitus and being sensitive to loud noise inherent to construction, I feel somewhat precluded from returning to the hands-on work I have an aptitude for. I lack any valuable college degree, and going back to school is currently out of the question. I dream about making a living writing fiction (don't laugh), but I've always wanted to do something with my passion and knowledge of BMW, so I decided to call up my local dealership to see if they had any openings. As I expected they have a porter and a detailer position open. I feel like I'm about 10 years too old to be working for $10/hour (and commuting an hour a day for it), so I guess I'm asking for advice from people who may have experience working at dealers and how grueling or terminal those entry level positions are.
    My Feedback

Im a flat rate tech at a Benz dealer. the Pay is good but its stressful and long days. Im going back to school . I have back issues and sometimes i hurt my back easily.
    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

I dont think working at a modern dealership selling cars or whatever position you may get is going to fulfill your passion...

I would use your experience to see if you can get a desk job supervising people that do the work you're currently doing. A relevant degree isnt a must, but a degree likely is.

I was an engineering student dropout and slowly took night classes while working at a bank. Its been a few years since that slow journey started, but I am entering my senior year now, graduation is in sight and I have plenty of experience and relevant licenses to have made a pretty good career for myself with good upside potential.

Good luck!.. I think I should update my own thread too, I had a similar one from a few years back
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

OP have any examples of your fiction writing?
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Nothing I would publicly post here. 90% of my writing is hand written dialogue and scene directions for screenplays that's yet to be formatted. Every time I watch a movie lately I'm just blown away at how bad the writing is, and wonder how the hell the script was sold and greenlit for production. I get good feedback and encouragement on my writing so it gives me hope I could break in somehow, it's just all about making connections.

Meanwhile, applied back at my old company for a supervisor role. If that doesn't happen there's tons of jobs out there for a crap wage that will sustain me okay enough. Porter/detailer at a dealership sounds the most fun. My dad is lined up to build a monster house on Lake Michigan in the spring which will be good for $25/hour if I feel like risking further hearing damage.
          My Feedback

Comment

Dealerships are great at sucking any passion you might have right out of you. They breed a culture of contempt and really just aren't worth the stress, unless that is the type of environment you enjoy and thrive in.
            Follow us on Facebook and Instagram

On qualified parts... email me at dealindave@blunttech.com

Comment

Originally posted by DealinDave@Blunttech.com View Post
              Dealerships are great at sucking any passion you might have right out of you. They breed a culture of contempt and really just aren't worth the stress, unless that is the type of environment you enjoy and thrive in.
              Well said, I got my interternship through a dealer ship nothing but 2 years of boredom.. Just worked for the experience. Needed something on the paper, was a detailer after cars was serviced. Only thing I miss was that new leather smell. The pay was fair but doing basically nothing long hours was really depressing.

Comment

I work in parts at a dealership (not bmw) and it's probably at the same time the easiest and most frustrating job I've ever had. You deal with a lot of people at their worst, and the industry itself is full of scumbags. I make decent money for what I do though, so I can't really complain. It does kind of suck the life out of you eventually if you let it.
                Originally posted by LJ851
                I programmed my oven to turn off when my pizza was done, should i start a build thread?

Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                  Nothing I would publicly post here. 90% of my writing is hand written dialogue and scene directions for screenplays that's yet to be formatted. Every time I watch a movie lately I'm just blown away at how bad the writing is, and wonder how the hell the script was sold and greenlit for production. I get good feedback and encouragement on my writing so it gives me hope I could break in somehow, it's just all about making connections.
                  Why? are you afraid of being judged? You afraid a bunch of ppl who you don't know (and probably will never meet) might say something that'll give you boo boo's on your feelings?

Life isn't a dress rehearsal. If your not willing to take a little flack from strangers (as well as the good), then you don't deserve any of the success it brings.

I took the leap into performing arts 10 years ago after years of pointless jobs. Sure, I admit I never "made it" but the small successes I do make are astounding to myself and those around me. It's landed me some work but knowing I'm surrounded by those who do have the ability to progress my career is worth more than any amount of money from a soul sucking job could bring.

true story
                  Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 09-09-2018, 12:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DealinDave@Blunttech.com View Post
                    It is what you make it. Trust me, having busted my ass in manufacturing for six years I know a thing or two about contempt and stress. I'd be doing my own thing detailing all day so as long as I meet their performance expectations then I see no issue. If I'm going to be a detailer somewhere then what better place than an independent, family run luxury car dealer? The deal breaker is the lengthy commute and flat rate pay.

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                    Why? are you afraid of being judged? You afraid a bunch of ppl who you don't know (and probably will never meet) might say something that'll give you boo boo's on your feelings?

Life isn't a dress rehearsal. If your not willing to take a little flack from strangers (as well as the good), then you don't deserve any of the success it brings.

I took the leap into performing arts 10 years ago after years of pointless jobs. Sure, I admit I never "made it" but the small successes I do make are astounding to myself and those around me. It's landed me some work but knowing I'm surrounded by those who do have the ability to progress my career is worth more than any amount of money from a soul sucking job could bring.

true story
                    I welcome all criticism of my work, but posting something publicly may make it ineligible for publication.
                    My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                      I welcome all criticism of my work, but posting something publicly may make it ineligible for publication.
                      So post a sample. I'm pretty sure not EVERYTHING you write is amazing and will be publication worthy.

At least not in the beginning.

Comment

well, I suppose you probably don't want my advice as I have attempted to give it to you many times over the years and you never seem to listen.

however, if you are unhappy(honestly I think you sound like you have been unhappy or clinically depressed for a really long time), please do what ever you need to change your life. it isn't easy, but people do it all the time and you can too.

one step at a time. every time you have a life decision to make, Taylor it in the direction you want your life to go. if working at a dealership seems like the answer to you, then you should apply there. just because it isn't a good fit for me or perhaps others that have posted here doesn't mean it isn't possibly a good fit for you.

when you say manufacturing, it conjures memories of a temp job I had one summer when I lived at home with my parents in Michigan. i was standing in front of a spot welding machine all day with a crate of car door hinges on my left along with a box of cage nuts that needed to be fused on to every part. very quickly, it occurred to me that I would rather be sodomized by an escaped prison inmate with size 18 shoes than do this shitty ass monkey fuck job for the next 30 years. I lasted exactly a day. I even thought really seriously about taking off at lunch and never coming back.

by that standard, a job at a dealership sounds pretty good?
                        Last edited by flyboyx; 09-09-2018, 10:11 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
                        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
                        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
                        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
                        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
                        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                          So post a sample.
                          All due respect, but I strongly encourage you to ignore Mr RockafellaÂ’s advice. Screenwriting is an industry based entirely on IP ownership; posting your original work on an online public forum is a surefire way to give that away for free.

Screenwriting is an extraordonarily challenging industry to break in to. It is rampant with nepotism and other people trying to steal your ideas (see above).

Before tv/film, I worked at a BMW dealer and started as a valet and made my way up to service advising. The lower paying jobs were a lot of fun, but as soon as you progress to a level where you are making decent money, the long work hours and customer expectations/attitudes will take their toll.

For what itÂ’s worth, I left both industries before they burned me out...but hey, YMMV. Just never ever ever post your writing/ideas online.
                          My transaction feedback thread(s):

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=292029 :up:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=329392 :up:

Comment

If you're really serious about fictional writing, find a job you can tolerate and that pays decent and work for something you're passionate about.

I gave up on a passion of mine for a few years, got super down and was genuinely unhappy with my life. Got back into it a couple years ago and completely changed my life only for the better.
                            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                            Q
                            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by mikey View Post
                              All due respect, but I strongly encourage you to ignore Mr RockafellaÂ’s advice. Screenwriting is an industry based entirely on IP ownership; posting your original work on an online public forum is a surefire way to give that away for free.

Screenwriting is an extraordonarily challenging industry to break in to. It is rampant with nepotism and other people trying to steal your ideas (see above).

Before tv/film, I worked at a BMW dealer and started as a valet and made my way up to service advising. The lower paying jobs were a lot of fun, but as soon as you progress to a level where you are making decent money, the long work hours and customer expectations/attitudes will take their toll.

For what itÂ’s worth, I left both industries before they burned me out...but hey, YMMV. Just never ever ever post your writing/ideas online.
                              Yeah, cause I'm here to steal his precious, multi-million dollar creative ideas. :roll:
                              If you want some real constructive feedback, try submitting it for publication.

OP, if you don't want anyone's help, then STFU and go back to your unfulfilling repair jobs.
                              Nobody likes a whiner.
                              Last edited by Stanley Rockafella; 09-09-2018, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X