Career at a dealership?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    well, I suppose you probably don't want my advice as I have attempted to give it to you many times over the years and you never seem to listen.

however, if you are unhappy(honestly I think you sound like you have been unhappy or clinically depressed for a really long time), please do what ever you need to change your life. it isn't easy, but people do it all the time and you can too.

one step at a time. every time you have a life decision to make, Taylor it in the direction you want your life to go. if working at a dealership seems like the answer to you, then you should apply there. just because it isn't a good fit for me or perhaps others that have posted here doesn't mean it isn't possibly a good fit for you.

when you say manufacturing, it conjures memories of a temp job I had one summer when I lived at home with my parents in Michigan. i was standing in front of a spot welding machine all day with a crate of car door hinges on my left along with a box of cage nuts that needed to be fused on to every part. very quickly, it occurred to me that I would rather be sodomized by an escaped prison inmate with size 18 shoes than do this shitty ass monkey fuck job for the next 30 years. I lasted exactly a day. I even thought really seriously about taking off at lunch and never coming back.

by that standard, a job at a dealership sounds pretty good?
    Are you still dating the guy with the size 18 shoes ?
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
      Yeah, cause I'm here to steal his precious, multi-million dollar creative ideas. :roll:
      If you want some real constructive feedback, try submitting it for publication.

OP, if you don't want anyone's help, then STFU and go back to your unfulfilling repair jobs.
      Nobody likes a whiner.
      You might not be, but others might. PM would be a better way to share, so that you could get individual feedback rather than groupthink.

Also, maybe tone it down a bit, and choose to say nothing if you have nothing nice/useful to say to another long time member who is clearly working through some stuff in their life.

Comment

What is stopping you from giving it a go? you haven't got the job yet. Put your resume in, if you get an interview ask them all the questions, and if they offer you a job THEN decide if its right for you. If you don't get the job, decision made:)

And the fictional writing thing, how is anyone going to read your stuff if you dont share it? Every second 19yr old art student wants to be a fictional writer, those that get attention write and share things. Short stories or whatever, start a free wordpress blog and start posing things up for people to read.

Comment

I’m a tech at the local BMW dealership and love it. Working on a brand I love and they moved us all to salary so there is no stress if you have a bad week you still get paid the same amount. We work every third weekend and 8-5 Monday through Friday at 5 o clock unless the car is a waiter you can drop everything and walk out the door no long days. People say dealerships suck the life out of you but I’ve been here nearly a year and still go out to my shop and wrench after work on my own cars until 9 or so a few days of the week. Getting my parts at cost is a nice perk too.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
          1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
          Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
          Mtech 2 turbo restoration
          Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

I average about $7k per month selling cars. If you can find the right store it's an awesome job.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
              Yeah, cause I'm here to steal his precious, multi-million dollar creative ideas. :roll:
              My advice to OP was to watch out for everyone, not just those with big egos ;)
              My transaction feedback thread(s):

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=292029 :up:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=329392 :up:

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                What is stopping you from giving it a go? you haven't got the job yet. Put your resume in, if you get an interview ask them all the questions, and if they offer you a job THEN decide if its right for you. If you don't get the job, decision made:)
                I should clarify that I already interviewed and I think they want to hire me as a detailer. As much as I would enjoy floating by on that type of "easy" work for a while, especially getting to detail my favorite brand in their nice facilities, I just don't think it's worth commuting 80 mins every day for ~$13/hour...

And the fictional writing thing, how is anyone going to read your stuff if you dont share it? Every second 19yr old art student wants to be a fictional writer, those that get attention write and share things. Short stories or whatever, start a free wordpress blog and start posing things up for people to read.
                Originally posted by mikey View Post
                Screenwriting is an industry based entirely on IP ownership; posting your original work on an online public forum is a surefire way to give that away for free.

Screenwriting is an extraordonarily challenging industry to break in to. It is rampant with nepotism and other people trying to steal your ideas (see above).

...never ever ever post your writing/ideas online.
                Yeah, I've gotten this advice before. I'm not expecting to strike gold my first time, if ever, but I've been working on multiple big ideas for a long time and whose content I'd only really share with people who I trust and value their opinions, and only as a physical manuscript that I'd eventually like to submit for formal publication.
                My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                  especially getting to detail my favorite brand in their nice facilities
                  Doesn't matter weather its a BMW or a Hyundai, you are still cleaning peoples fingernails out of the seats.

Any tipping in the job? if not how can you survive on $13/hr?

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Wagen View Post
                    It is what you make it. Trust me, having busted my ass in manufacturing for six years I know a thing or two about contempt and stress. I'd be doing my own thing detailing all day so as long as I meet their performance expectations then I see no issue. If I'm going to be a detailer somewhere then what better place than an independent, family run luxury car dealer? The deal breaker is the lengthy commute and flat rate pay.
                    Originally posted by chadthestampede View Post
                    I You deal with a lot of people at their worst, and the industry itself is full of scumbags.
                    This has been my experience working at dealerships and the biggest reason I decided to leave the dealership scene altogether. There were exceptions of course, as I met some really awesome people, but I also met some of the grossest and shittiest humans on the planet. I'm sure there are dealerships out there that break the mold and are great places to work. I just didn't happen to find those places. I've worked at Ford, BMW and Toyota over the course of a decade. Most of these were independent, family owned shops. All of them shared the same disdainful environment.
                    Follow us on Facebook and Instagram

On qualified parts... email me at dealindave@blunttech.com

Comment

I'm sure there are good/honest car dealers, but I need to pass along my father's experience. When he retired from his main career, he went to work for a Big 3 dealer in suburban Memphis because he knew the owner. I've never met a more dishonest group of people in my life, and this dealer had one of the better reputations in town. They all lied so much that I think they couldn't even discern a lie from the truth anymore. After working there for two years, my father was picking up the same bad habits. I remember several instances where I had to ask him, "Do you know that what you just said was a lie?"

They would also rip off customers as naturally as breathing. My father being an employee and friends with the owner did not exempt him. They screwed him out of money numerous times. Best thing he ever did was quit.

Whether it's Ferarri, Hyundai or Joe's Used Car Emporium, it's a dirty dirty business that attracts scumbags.

Cory
                      1992 325i Cabrio
                      1988 320i Touring
                      2000 M5
                      1977 530i
                      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                      BMWCCA
                      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                        Whether it's Ferarri, Hyundai or Joe's Used Car Emporium, it's a dirty dirty business that attracts scumbags.

Cory
                        That's a bold statement right there...

Why don't you take your wide ass paint brush and paint a picture instead
                        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                          haha wow

Comment

Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                              That's a bold statement right there...

Why don't you take your wide ass paint brush and paint a picture instead

Sorry to force you into your safe space. I guess the disclaimer in the first sentence was not enough for you.
                              1992 325i Cabrio
                              1988 320i Touring
                              2000 M5
                              1977 530i
                              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                              BMWCCA
                              E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by hotsaucewizard View Post
                                I average about $7k per month selling cars. If you can find the right store it's an awesome job.
                                Any advice for someone that (might) be transitioning into a sales role with a large classic car dealer / restorer, that also has no experience with auto sales in the past?

The dealer in question values people that are willing to learn and have drive more than if I have 15 years experience and am miserable to be around.
                                Steve • Toronto
                                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                                Build Thread

Comment

Working...
                                X