'95 M vs Z3 Steering Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'95 M vs Z3 Steering Rack

So my high pressure PS hose needed to be replaced, and after removing the MAF, Reservoir, ect, i decided it might be a good idea to change out my rack too because it took a crap on me. Anyways, ive looked around the forums and think I understand the whole linear vs progressive steering when comparring the two racks and the different L2L distances. However, i keep hearing talk about the z3 rack being twitchy at high speeds. Can anyone clarify this for me? I dont want to be flying down the highway and fly into the center divide because something got in my eye or I have to sneeze... I feel like id like the directness, and "tracky" if you will, feel of the z3 but if its better staying on the track and not on the streets, i'll settle for something else. I wanted to do a manual rack, however my pops thinks I should opt for PS. Anything is better than a e30 rack covered in PS fluid at this point

I have had both on my 95 m3.

The z3 rack isn't twitchier, it's just linear in the center while the 95 rack is progressive. After about 90 degrees of steering wheel movement, they feel very similar. If most of what you do is highway, and the extra precision/speed of the Z3 rack isn't needed, the 95 rack could be nice.

Either will be fine. It wasn't as big of a difference between the two as the internet had me believe it would be.

I had a manual rack in my E30 way back when. Power steering is better.
    2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
    95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
    98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerman325i View Post
      I have had both on my 95 m3.

The z3 rack isn't twitchier, it's just linear in the center while the 95 rack is progressive. After about 90 degrees of steering wheel movement, they feel very similar. If most of what you do is highway, and the extra precision/speed of the Z3 rack isn't needed, the 95 rack could be nice.

Either will be fine. It wasn't as big of a difference between the two as the internet had me believe it would be.

I had a manual rack in my E30 way back when. Power steering is better.
      It would be on my DD, but eventually once i get everything running good id like to take her on the track occasionally, maybe. In the meantime i could have fun doing a little spirited canyon driving if i get the urge :mrgreen: anyhow i might opt for the 95 rack if its not as big as a difference as everyone makes it seem. Additionally i think it would be more cost effective too.

Thanks for the clarification, its hard to find further info beyond the tons of threads comparing L2L distances

Comment

I can't speak for a Z3 rack in a e30, but I think the rack in my Z3 is great. I'm putting one into my 325i, but thats also because I have an extra one lying around.
        My Garage
        2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
        1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
        1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
        Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Another thing to consider is the '95 M3 rack will leave you with a larger turning radius.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Working...
          X