X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Build - $10,000 diy e30

Here is the link to the video:

Hey R3V!

Been a while since I've been on. I'm now on my second E30, a black 325i coupe. Recently, I released a 27 minute film on how I went about building this car for $10,000 CAD. Check out the video on YouTube and let me know what you think. The following blurb is off my website, set7media.com:

"BUILD is an independent short documentary that tells the detailed DIY story of how to piece together a race car on a budget. What separates BUILD apart from its competitors is that it is totally based in realism. When shooting the film we knew any kind of scripted or "put on" drama would be a turn off. We therefore chose to follow a simple storytelling structure, capture everything. We did our absolute best to have at least one camera rolling every step of the way to capture all the ups and downs of working on cars at home. While many similar docs serve as a before and after overview of a project vehicle, BUILD is ongoing. Despite being a continuing series, every episode of BUILD will have a closed narrative loop, making it more satisfying for the viewer to watch giving a beginning, middle, and end. We really had a crazy experience working on BUILD but we believe that shows in the final product. This is only the first of many short docs to come so stay posted for more!"

Great video!
    Your control arm bushings are installed with the hole offset to the wrong side btw

Comment

Why did you cut off the rear springs?
      Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

Originally posted by HertE30 View Post
        Great video!
        Your control arm bushings are installed with the hole offset to the wrong side btw
        Yeah we fixed that afterwards but didn't get the footage haha. Glad we didn't hit the track like that. Glad you liked the video though!

Comment

Originally posted by noid View Post
          Why did you cut off the rear springs?
          We had trouble compressing them further because of how tight it is under there. I don't recommend cutting anything under tension but we had to be racing in a few days of when that was shot so we didn't have much time to get stuff done.

Comment

Originally posted by BMW325E View Post
            We had trouble compressing them further because of how tight it is under there. I don't recommend cutting anything under tension but we had to be racing in a few days of when that was shot so we didn't have much time to get stuff done.
            You dont need spring compressors or an angle grinder to remove the springs.

After removing the lower rear shock bolt, remember to undo the rear sway bar end link from the trailing arm (two 13mm nuts) and you'll have plenty of space for removal.
            Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Comment

Great work gents! I saw the video when you posted it to Ontario E30s facebook group.

Originally posted by noid View Post
              You dont need spring compressors or an angle grinder to remove the springs.

After removing the lower rear shock bolt, remember to undo the rear sway bar end link from the trailing arm (two 13mm nuts) and you'll have plenty of space for removal.
              I've heard the same thing, but I needed spring compressors and still struggled with my '87 325is stock rear springs.
              Yes I had the swaybar and shocks disconnected.
              Last edited by Panici; 03-02-2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

If you struggle get the spring in with the swaybar and shocks disconnected, loosening the subframe bolts does the trick - you can drop the subframe quite a bit without removing the nut completely. Normally, just putting some pressure on the control arm with you feet does the trick.

Nice work on the video OP! Looks well shot and some good info there :D
                My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
                  Great work gents! I saw the video when you posted it to Ontario E30s facebook group.

I've heard the same thing, but I needed spring compressors and still struggled with my '87 325is stock rear springs.
                  Yes I had the swaybar and shocks disconnected.
                  Ive got an 87' 325is, all you need is your foot as per lukeADE335i.

Its deceiving, at first it doesn't seem like it should come out, but it does; assuming stock geometry and no gnarly accidents in the cars history.

Comment

I really enjoyed watching this. I see you haven't posted anything in 6 months, any updates coming?
                    Youtube Channel
                    '89 325i Convertible
                    '19 VW Atlas
                    '19 Subaru STI

Comment

Great video guys! Keep it up.

Comment

Working...
                      X