Flipped Manifold for Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice build!
    At the moment im converting my stock L-jettronic to turbo and megasquirt. What are you using for idle control and what sensors are you using to for your megasquirt?

Comment

Originally posted by rijlaab View Post
      Nice build!
      At the moment im converting my stock L-jettronic to turbo and megasquirt. What are you using for idle control and what sensors are you using to for your megasquirt?
      I am using a bosch 3 wire IAC from a 325i.

I am using a EDIS 36-1 wheel and VR sensor for crank, Nissan VG30 TPS sensor, cherry hall sensor from DIY autotune for cam(installing soon), GM open air IAT sensor, and factory coolant sensor. I am using the regular 3 bar MAP sensor from megasquirt.

Wideband is a Bosch LSU 4.2 driven on a 14point7 SLC DIY1. I will eventually move to a spartan and possibly do EGTs, but that's down the road.

For other items, I am using ebay pressure transducers for oil and fuel, and a GM sensor for oil temperature--it came off a saturn and is 1/8" NPT. My flex fuel/ethanol sensor is a continental sensor from GM, it came out of an impala in the junkyard. I am using the factory reed switch/diff sensor for speed, and factory float for fuel level.
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
        I am using a bosch 3 wire IAC from a 325i.

I am using a EDIS 36-1 wheel and VR sensor for crank, Nissan VG30 TPS sensor, cherry hall sensor from DIY autotune for cam(installing soon), GM open air IAT sensor, and factory coolant sensor. I am using the regular 3 bar MAP sensor from megasquirt.

Wideband is a Bosch LSU 4.2 driven on a 14point7 SLC DIY1. I will eventually move to a spartan and possibly do EGTs, but that's down the road.

For other items, I am using ebay pressure transducers for oil and fuel, and a GM sensor for oil temperature--it came off a saturn and is 1/8" NPT. My flex fuel/ethanol sensor is a continental sensor from GM, it came out of an impala in the junkyard. I am using the factory reed switch/diff sensor for speed, and factory float for fuel level.
        Thanks man! Is the Nissan tps a direct fit? I AM looking for clean fit parts making IT look like IT should be there ;)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) plus met Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rijlaab View Post
          Thanks man! Is the Nissan tps a direct fit? I AM looking for clean fit parts making IT look like IT should be there ;)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn moto g(6) plus met Tapatalk
          Unfortunately not. I am using a plate adapter from 02again in southern California.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
            Unfortunately not. I am using a plate adapter from 02again in southern California.
            I see, i dont live very close to Southern California so will be making something myself then! Thanks for the info!

Comment

As is probably a surprise to no one, I melted The cyl 1 plug wire. Luckily the EDIS coil allowed me to buy a set of 8 wires for $15.

More issues with the fuel regulator—but hopefully I can get the car tuned a bit better before another thing breaks
              Attached Files

Comment

I did the flip mani on my m10 turbo had it like that for a week n then I pulled it off. Car kept killing no1 plug and everytime I had to remove the turbo n mani to change the plug. To be honest not at all worth the trouble

Comment

Wanted to give another update here... I am still running this manifold setup. I have killed 2nd gear in my transmission and currently doing the swap to a 260/6 from an e34 535i. checkout how my trans failed: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...y-transmission

After removing the fiberglass plug wire "protector" I have just been running a bare wire to cyl 1 and it is working fine. Air is a great insulator, after all. I swapped turbos to a cheap cx racing T3 internal wastegate turbo because of blown seals on the old turbo. Currently, the car is running E85 with very conservative spark timing, and I suspect it is in the 210-220 whp range on 17psi. Perhaps a similar torque figure did damage to the trans, but not 100% sure of course. I will be tuning it on a dyno once putting on a real exhaust(currently hood exit) and the transmission swap is done. By March I hope to have real dyno numbers using this manifold and see how we do.

Comment

Thanks for the update, I was considering one of the manifolds on Ebay but this looks to be better. Do you have pictures on how you adapted it to T3? Why not run T4 if the manifold is already setup for scavenging?

Comment

T4 as in divided turbine? No real reason other than size (and respective turbo size itself). T3 flange turbos appeared to be easier to find for small displacement applications, often advertised for honda and nissan 4 cyls. Not aiming for crazy power, but if that becomes the case I'll likely swap to a new manifold.

I will snap a picture of the adapter, which used the factory exhaust cut off and welded the flange to it after cutting and spacing out a bit. Nothing too clever about it. A friend of mine mig'd it up.

Comment

Here's a quick picture of the adapter
                        Attached Files

Comment

Great thanks, I hope to join you with the same setup in a few months.

Comment

Working...
                          X