m52tuB25 Swap In California (Smog)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

m52tuB25 Swap In California (Smog)

hi, i'm new into the whole e30 game. I bought a 1987 BMW 325is with a whole in the block and 300k miles for 700$. Car is in very good condition and came with a stack of maintenance records from just a simple oil change, up to a new steering rack from Dinan and a new pressure plate and what looks to be a performance type clutch. The e30 is equipped with the standard 5 speed manual gearbox. Since i work at a junk yard i get parts for cheap. i head about m52tu swaps for the e30 and i have recently pulled one out myself from a 2000 bmw 323ci with harness and DME ms42 . Very good engine no leaks except for the typical power steering. My goal is to fit this engine in LEGALLY into the car and get approved for the CA state inspection and smog. If anybody could guide me though this I'd really appriciate it. :)
    -best wishes
    e30westcoastnoob

If I remember correctly, the m52tu from an e46 has the converters as part of the manifold. This is going to be the only thing I can see you having trouble with as I'm not sure how well it's going to fit and you can't relocate the converters or the O2 sensors if you want to be legal in California. Also, make sure you have proof of the car the engine came from, the Ref is going to ask you to provide proof its Ca Emissions certified. Best bet would be to get the underhood emissions label from the car you got the engine from. Other than that, there's a ton of info on this forum to help you on your way including the thread in here that deals with the perils of getting BAR certified.

I've been working on mine, and I've passed everything but the tailpipe and I've been failing for a bit too many hydrocarbons which I think is because of something mechanical.

Best of luck sir!

Comment

Working...
    X