Help Replacing from CV boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help Replacing from CV boots

I’ve been searching for a write up on replacing front CV boots but haven’t found one. My car is apart and I’m a bit over my head.

I would like to do inner and outer boots, although only the putter is split. I’ve read about a circlip. Does the inner boot have an circlip inside of the cv joint somewhere? How do I get the whole axel off? Does it come out of the diff after removing the circlip? Do I need to remove the 6 bolts surrounding the axel on of the side of the diff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To remove the complete CV shaft from the diff, you just pull on them. They should slide right out of the diff.
    After you've removed the complete CV shafts, you need to cut open the boots to get to the circlip.
    I've never been able to get the circlip open enough to remove the shaft from the CV.

I just cut one of the bend legs off and pull the circlip out of the joint from the other side..
    I hope my explination is somewhat clear..?
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
      To remove the complete CV shaft from the diff, you just pull on them. They should slide right out of the diff.
      After you've removed the complete CV shafts, you need to cut open the boots to get to the circlip.
      I've never been able to get the circlip open enough to remove the shaft from the CV.

I just cut one of the bend legs off and pull the circlip out of the joint from the other side..
      I hope my explination is somewhat clear..?

Ok that’s good info. I’ll just pull. Is it self-evident what needs to be done to put a new circlip back in? I think if I see where it goes I can figure out how to put a new one back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If I remember correctly i first put in the new circlip and then pushed in the shaft into the joint
        1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
        1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

If you are pulling the rear axles, you will need to pull the six allen head bolts. Also, there is a lock ring around the axle nut at the outer CV. Use a brass drift or a big center punch (better to use a puller) if a little help is needed getting the axle through the hub.

Comment

Working...
          X