No announcement yet.

Early 90s Rolls Royce cars - opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8K for a brake job?! And it is not even a GTR?! Just no man.

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      I had a silver shadow II here at the shop not too long ago.

The quality of the car blew me away.. Every switch, knob and lever felt like you were pulling a trigger on a gun.

Would I buy one? Probably not, because of how expensive it is to keep on the road.

Apparently there is a manual for these cars, according to a neighboring shop I was speaking with about this car.
      have any of you ever taken a close look at an aston martin? they have the same amazing build quality. all the switches and bezels are machined aluminum or stainless steel. at least the aston is a car that will appreciate in value some day.

mid 2000's vantages can be bought for well under 40k. occasionally with manual transmissions. i realize there aren't many here that can outlay that kind of cash, but i bet that car will more than double in value in the next 10 yrs. i don't think anyone can say that about the grey poupon car. at least if i were to buy an extremely unreliable british exotic, this is where i would place my bets.
      sigpic
      Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
      92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
      88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
      88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
      87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
      12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Early 90s Rolls Royce cars - opinions?

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
        have any of you ever taken a close look at an aston martin? they have the same amazing build quality. all the switches and bezels are machined aluminum or stainless steel. at least the aston is a car that will appreciate in value some day.

mid 2000's vantages can be bought for well under 40k. occasionally with manual transmissions. i realize there aren't many here that can outlay that kind of cash, but i bet that car will more than double in value in the next 10 yrs. i don't think anyone can say that about the grey poupon car. at least if i were to buy an extremely unreliable british exotic, this is where i would place my bets.

I have looked at them before, I never thought of them this way. I will consider this!

Comment

Remember, Ford owned AM from whenever to 2007. So you do get Ford bits that ruin the mood.

The correct British car to get is just about any open 2 seater from the 20s/30s.

Comment

i don't know man.... take a good look at one of them when you get the chance.

it is an understatement to say they are a very un-ford like car. if anything, perhaps that marriage improved reliability.

i can compare the car to a ferarri since i was doing some shopping for one of those a few years ago. all the interior and exterior accutriments on the aston blow the ferrari out of the water. the ferrari's i looked at were the 550 so it was a good bit faster than the v8 aston. they both drive kind of similiar but then to be fair, my test drives were years apart.

the aston is better in many ways but simply doesn't carry the pedigree. it really is a very underated car probably due mostly to is unreliable reputation.
            sigpic
            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
            92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
            88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
            88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
            87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
            12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I would not buy any car that is made in England. Beautiful to look at, but a nightmare to keep. My favorite is a Morgan convertible.

Comment

As for Aston Martin interior quality, it really does depend on which model from which era you're looking at. Sit in a DB7 and you'll see where people are coming from when they criticize ford-era Aston Martin.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

I spent some time behind the wheel of a V8 Vantage 6spd. It was OK, but no better. And it felt slow for 400hp. It was during the Ford era, so there was an extremely qweird combination of beuatiful switches and Ford parts.
                  2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                  2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                  1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                  1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                  - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                  1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                  1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                  Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                    Remember, Ford owned AM from whenever to 2007. So you do get Ford bits that ruin the mood.

This was my first thought too. But to be honest, haven't owned one so can't compare if the build quality was the same. I will say though, stuff built/designed by Ford outside the US, definitely seemed to have better tactile feel or quality vs some of the cars pieced together in the states. I say cars, because their trucks seemed to be held to a higher standard.
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I've never seen an Aston in person before.. Probably my favorite maker of super cars though. Love how modest they look..
                      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Never even seen one? Having lived in the SF Bay Area all my life, I can't even fathom that :p

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
                          I've never seen an Aston in person before
                          Wack. But I guess I have 3 very affluent areas nearby and used to work in one of them so exotic cars are kind of a part of normal existence for me.

IG @turbovarg
                          '91 318is, M20 turbo
                          [CoTM: 4-18]
                          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                          - updated 3-17

Comment

My favorite AM experience was entering a shockingly empty high speed three lane corner on the DC beltway during a morning commute years ago at good E30 pace, maybe 90mph, only to have a DB9 (probably) roar up from out of the traffic, catch me at the start of the corner, doing maybe 120, only to have a McLaren pass him on the inside at an unbelieveable speed, spoiler well extended.

The McLaren was through the corner before either of us, and I was about 3/4 of the way through when the AM blasted off on the straightaway towards VA. This is distinctly the fastest I have ever seen an AM going on the street, but it was impressive.

Never saw the AM again, but did get passed by the same McLaren some time later at an equally ridiculous speed differential.

Comment

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...ht=rolls+royce

seems like stanley made a post or 2 in this thread. my favorite comment is simon's at #37.
                              :rofl:

I forgot about that, damn Im funny
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I will never have the funds to buy a super car. If i did, i would drive every AM i could find and pick one. To me, they are absolutely gorgeous and some of them sound equally as gorgeous. There really isn’t a super car that I don’t like but i would own an AM, presumably if I had the coin to buy one I wouldn’t GAS how much it cost to maintain it.
                                My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                                I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Working...
                                X