Koni yellows installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni yellows installation

Anyone using these? Got any tips for the front setup? My new strut guide supports are 32mm vs original 28.5mm. Looks like RealOem doesn't even list factory 28mm ones. RealOem does list a dust cap of both sizes. Koni red dust caps were designed for 28.5mm strut guide. What are you guys doing with these? Don't want to keep it open, strut support bearings won't like the dust.

I made a rubber sleeve to take up the extra space and allow the cap to fit snugly.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

I put koni yellows in my car, it had bilstin b4s in it. Not the upside shocks. Didnt really have any problems at all, just bolted it all together to the oem strut tops on both front and back.

Bit confused what your question is i'm afraid. what is a strut guide supports?

You talking about the red cap to cover up the adjustment mechanism on top of the strut top? Cause mine just fit fine into the oem strut top (1984 323i with "mtech"suspension originally if it makes any difference)
      Last edited by e30davie; 05-06-2019, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        You talking about the red cap to cover up the adjustment mechanism on top of the strut top? Cause mine just fit fine into the oem strut top (1984 323i with "mtech"suspension originally if it makes any difference)
        yeah, looks like the hole is 32mm on any replacement part and koni makes only 28.5mm red cap. I can just built it up with the o-ring or something....isn't my first choice

Comment

another question.

Black dust boot/protector....there is nothing holding it in place at the bottom?
          It looks like it's attached to the bumpstop. Bumpstop goes up and down with the shock shaft (bumpstop sits tight around the shaft). Therefore at some point, gland nut gets exposed to crap. Is it how it was designed by BMW?

Comment

yes, it was designed that way
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316212

BMWCCA #398608
            IG @yagayo38

"The Best E30's were built with two camshafts four cylinders and sixteen valves!".

Comment

I guess no so smart design

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I 3D printed some caps for my strut mounts. Put an oring groove and oring on them to hold them in place and seal everything up.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                  I 3D printed some caps for my strut mounts. Put an oring groove and oring on them to hold them in place and seal everything up.

I thought about orings...good idea about the groove

Comment

I did a will call at Bilstein East and sat with their tech guy for a bit. He said the dust covers are nice but not necessary
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                      I did a will call at Bilstein East and sat with their tech guy for a bit. He said the dust covers are nice but not necessary
                      I have to disagree with your expert. Without them bearings are clearly exposed to any dust etc contamination. Those bearings are not sealed and there is only one cover, on the bottom

Comment

What wrong with just putting the old plugs back in?

Comment

My original are Too small. OEM makes two sizes so one can source 32mm ones which will work. I’m using Koni adjustable shock that have a rebound damping adjuster on the top therefore OEM caps are too short. Koni only makes one size, the smaller one.
                          Not a big deal as I can just try to built up to correct size with orings or similar.
                          Just thought it is strange that Koni only makes smaller size caps. You can’t even source smaller size top bearing plates any longer

Comment

The adjusters on the Konis stick up higher than stock and they won't fit under the cap. The replacement red Koni caps are taller to accommodate.

There have been threads about people getting smaller-hole mounts and not being able to get a socket to fit inside, so smaller mounts do exist.

Here is one thread I was thinking of:

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                              The adjusters on the Konis stick up higher than stock and they won't fit under the cap. The replacement red Koni caps are taller to accommodate.

There have been threads about people getting smaller-hole mounts and not being able to get a socket to fit inside, so smaller mounts do exist.

Here is one thread I was thinking of:

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...t+mount+socket

Interesting, I matched OEM p/n to lemforder and they only have larger 32mm ones. Probably OEMs still come with smaller holes. Koni nut is larger than OEM to cover internal adjuster larger diameter

Comment

Working...
                              X