question about the temp sensor threading on early S52 head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about the temp sensor threading on early S52 head

i searched and just read about 12 different threads.

heres my problem my S52 head is the early one that has 3 holes. first one has the blue DME sensor, 2nd hole is plugged and then theres a 3rd hole that i have a black e36 gauge cluster sensor threaded in.

my temp gauge cluster obviously moves when you start the car but never goes above cold.

i just ordered the brwon top M20 sensor from bmw and picking it up today.

can i just remove the black e36 temp sensor from the 3rd hole and thread in the M20 sensor? or will i have to rethread that hole for the M20 sensor?

everyone always talks in the threads i read about removing the 2nd hole plug and putting the sensor in there or removing a throttle body heater hose nipple and threading there so im kind of confused here.

I also have the s52 head with the three holes. All three are the same size. I'm not running the throttle body coolant lines so I capped 1 hole with an extra blue dme sensor. For the cluster I took the e30 guage sensor to a local machinist with the blue sensor and had him down size the threads on the brown cluster sensor to the same size as the blue dme sensor. Cost me $10.

Comment

Originally posted by sharksforthecup View Post
      I also have the s52 head with the three holes. All three are the same size. I'm not running the throttle body coolant lines so I capped 1 hole with an extra blue dme sensor. For the cluster I took the e30 guage sensor to a local machinist with the blue sensor and had him down size the threads on the brown cluster sensor to the same size as the blue dme sensor. Cost me $10.

so basically what you are saying is that the M20 brown top temp sensor will NOT thread into ANY of the 3 threaded holes in the S50/S52 head at all with out either rethreading the hole or machining the sensor threads...

thats such a bummer

Comment

That is the case with mine since the diameter of the brown e30 sensor is larger. Why such a bummer? It really is a simple fix.

Comment

here's mine.
          Attached Files

Comment

We can take care of that for you if you need it.

Comment

ok i got my temp sensor in and i expected it to be dark brown colored and have ONE pin inside of the plug.

instead its a light tan color and has dual pins

i ordered #13 PN 13621357414 in that picture because thats what everyone said to get when i searched the forums

yet i see in the picture above he has a brown sensor and it only has one pin in it.

did i get the wrong sensor? it says its for an M20 according to the parts counter at bmw and has that exact part number on it in a sealed bag.

Comment

Seems easier to just get the adapter from turner motorsports, p&p.

Comment

Originally posted by 89325iturbo View Post
                  Seems easier to just get the adapter from turner motorsports, p&p.
                  It doesn't work in an e30. Only e36s.

Shawn, you got the wrong sensor. One pin, dark brown. I think its #12.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                    It doesn't work in an e30. Only e36s.

Shawn, you got the wrong sensor. One pin, dark brown. I think its #12.

yup you are right. tested tonight and no workie. it threaded right into the head as well so i had a feeling it was wrong.

i found an old brown top temp sensor with a single pin on the floor near the M20 and it has much larger threads and it will not thread into the cylinder head at all

however me and my friend got out the volt meter and found that the old brown single pin sensor works off a floating ground so we grounded the sensor accordingly and then held a lighter to the tip with the ignition on and the cluster needle started moving up very quickly as expected

none of the sensors do this so i know this old brown one is the right one but none of the taps i have here fit it.

the largest one i have is M12 x 1.75 and its still too small.

Matt do you have the ability to size this sensor down to the proper thread pitch for me?

Comment

Yeah, that's what I was saying. :)

Call McCoy, he can take care of it for you next week or possibly over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
                        Yeah, that's what I was saying. :)

Call McCoy, he can take care of it for you next week or possibly over the weekend.
                        Awesome ill call him up tomorrow.
                        Thanks matt !!

Comment

TRM to the rescue!

Comment

How come the turner adapter doesnt work in a e30? Your plugging the same connector into it, it just wont send that info to the e30 instrument cluster.

P.S. got my TRM chip in yesterday, hope to have the engine up and running in a week or so and test it out.

Comment

Originally posted by 89325iturbo View Post
                              How come the turner adapter doesnt work in a e30? Your plugging the same connector into it, it just wont send that info to the e30 instrument cluster.

P.S. got my TRM chip in yesterday, hope to have the engine up and running in a week or so and test it out.
                              Because the e36 sensor has a different resistance and resistance vs. temp curve than the e30 sensor. This has been covered many times.

Did you really think it was going to be that easy?

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

Working...
                              X