"Ultra Racing" Adjustable strut bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Ultra Racing" Adjustable strut bar

What do you think? The design looks like the sparco with even a bit more rigidity at the tower joints. I like the idea of adjustability as well with all the talk of different dimensions between towers, sagging with age, etc.

Anyone tried this one? Any other thoughts?

Edit: the point at which the bar contacts the strut tower doesn't look as efficient as the sparco design, but the adjustablility remains a plus in my eyes.
    S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
    What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

First off, i'm not an engineer. But to me it seems like a two piece adjustable will not be as rigid as a one piece bar, no?

The purpose of a strut tower brace is to keep the strut towers in the correct position and keep them from flexing. Some people have to jack up their cars in funny ways because the shock towers have started to sag already. Adding a strut brace would set them back to the right position and keep them there. Adding an adjustable brace would keep them from sagging anymore, but they would still be sagging. Like I said, i could be talking out of my ass but this is what I've heard a lot of SpecE30 guys say regarding strut braces.
    -Alex

Comment

Yep, you wan't a single bar, no "links". Think of a strut bar as an addition to your frame. You don't wan't hinges and bolts in your frame, you want solid metal. Ideally you would weld in your bar.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

I would think that once you get it in the position you want and tighten the adjustment nuts, it would be as rigid as a solid bar.

I agree that the bars that mount in a hinge-fashion are probably less effective. This bar is not like that.
        S50'd

Originally posted by TDE30
        What is this faggy shit I have happened upon?
        Originally posted by slammin.e28
        I can always live in a M3. Can't M3 a house.

Comment

It will be nearly as rigid as a solid bar. There is flex in threads on bolts, etc. You won't notice a difference but the solid sparco bar IS better by design.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Originally posted by acolella76 View Post
            First off, i'm not an engineer. But to me it seems like a two piece adjustable will not be as rigid as a one piece bar, no?

The purpose of a strut tower brace is to keep the strut towers in the correct position and keep them from flexing. Some people have to jack up their cars in funny ways because the shock towers have started to sag already. Adding a strut brace would set them back to the right position and keep them there. Adding an adjustable brace would keep them from sagging anymore, but they would still be sagging. Like I said, i could be talking out of my ass but this is what I've heard a lot of SpecE30 guys say regarding strut braces.
            That is "right on"! If a fixed brace that is correct for the car won't fit you need to determine why and repair as needed. That might mean putting the car on a frame machine to undo previous damage. Once in the correct alignment a fixed brace will do a lot to keep the strut towers from moving again.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

That looks like thin, flexible, made-in-china shit.
              '89 325is S50 Track Montser
              '04 X5 Daily/Tow Vehicle

http://www.avarestoration.com

http://www.myspace.com/brendanfiddle

Click here if you want to be my zombie slave...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Fidhle007

Comment

Working...
              X