No announcement yet.

HOW TO: Installing IS Side Skirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, althought drilling into the car bugs me since if you take them off those holes will always be there... And it's through the fiberglass too isn't it?

Looks good though.

Comment

Originally posted by CircuitMonster View Post
      Cool, althought drilling into the car bugs me since if you take them off those holes will always be there... And it's through the fiberglass too isn't it?

Looks good though.
      There are no fiberglass parts on there. Also I am not planning on taking them off anyways.

Originally posted by Gerta View Post
      Bernz - where did you find a riveter that fits that BMW rivet?
      Home Depot. I brought the rivet with me.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
      ---------------------------------
      89 E30 S52
      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

does anyone have a template for this?

don't want to swiss cheese my rocker panels... I'll pay for the template...

Comment

hi bernzpeed, very interesting diy. im planning to install skirt too, thanks to you.

anyway, looking at the first page of your post it shows the hardware along with skirt but im not sure if everything is correct to my observation.

i have attached an image and added quantities (in red circle) to those parts were not provided by realoem.

note: the added quantities were based on the image in the first page you posted.

can you please verify if all quantities are correct.

thanks in advance...

Comment

Originally posted by harold30 View Post
            hi bernzpeed, very interesting diy. im planning to install skirt too, thanks to you.

can you please verify if all quantities are correct.

thanks in advance...
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.
            89 E30 S52
            Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Finally getting around to installing mine this weekend and from what I understand, you installed the bottom clips first and then pushed in the top pegs correct? My skirts are pre-painted and wondering who hard I'm gonna have to push on the top of the skirt to get them inserted--possibly fudging up the paint. Has anyone tried inserting the white top plugs into the grommets first, then hanging the top onto them and installing the bottom clips after?

Comment

i installed the plugs into the grommets first and then did the bottom clips.
                89 E30 S52
                Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Thanks for clarifying. Looking forward to getting them on.

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
                    Finally getting around to installing mine this weekend and from what I understand, you installed the bottom clips first and then pushed in the top pegs correct? My skirts are pre-painted and wondering who hard I'm gonna have to push on the top of the skirt to get them inserted--possibly fudging up the paint. Has anyone tried inserting the white top plugs into the grommets first, then hanging the top onto them and installing the bottom clips after?
                    Or just skip the plugs and drilling holes and use 3M Trim tape. That's what I did on mine. Drove through every weather possible for 60 miles a day. Never a sign of coming off.

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

Do it right the first time. That's the whole point of providing all the mounting hardware. Looking forward to seeing it on your car soon.
                      89 E30 S52
                      Transaction Feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by bernzpeed View Post
                        Do it right the first time. That's the whole point of providing all the mounting hardware. Looking forward to seeing it on your car soon.
                        Im not knocking your DIY. Its very good info for people. I was just suggesting that there are other ways. Not wrong ways, just other ways. Many people have used the tape with great success. Back when these cars were made, the holes were factory drilled and sealed before install. Drilling holes at home in the garage without anything else done to the holes can open the door for rust etc. Just my .02¢

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

I agree.

Originally posted by PNWDan View Post
                          Im not knocking your DIY. Its very good info for people. I was just suggesting that there are other ways. Not wrong ways, just other ways. Many people have used the tape with great success. Back when these cars were made, the holes were factory drilled and sealed before install. Drilling holes at home in the garage without anything else done to the holes can open the door for rust etc. Just my .02¢
                          I painted the drilled holes with a q-tip soaked in POR 15 yesterday and let it dry overnight before I install the grommets today. I'm also gonna use a small amount of sealant around the edges of the grommets before installing just for good measure. I'm not worried about rust as I don't wash my car with soap and water (or haven't had to yet) since I had it painted a year and a half ago and it doesn't get driven in the rain and is stored for the winter. Regardless, POR 15 is awesome stuff and combined with a sealant should alleviate any issues with rust.

bernzspeed--An important point I discovered is that the two white grommets that go into the rear of the front fenders are a 5/16" hole, not 3/8" like the green grommets. They're the ones that fit the round white plugs that slide into the slotted piece of the skirt. Luckily, I noticed this while inspecting the parts and hadn't drilled those holes yet, but you may want to update your sticky.
                          Last edited by TrentW; 09-04-2012, 08:57 AM.

Comment

i installed the plugs into the grommets first and then did the bottom clips.
                            I reread this again and realized maybe there was some confusion. I'm wondering if it's possible to install the top white peg clips into the grommets on the car w/o being attached to the skirt. Then maybe I could attach the skirt by sliding it down over the clips, rather than having to push so hard on the skirts to get the pegs seated into the grommets--which I've heard takes quite a bit of effort--and possibly damaging the paint? I'll still have to press in the two pegs at the rear of the front fender though. Was this the method you used?
                            Last edited by TrentW; 09-04-2012, 03:08 PM.

Comment

no i had the plugs on the skirt and pushed hard on it. it's not that bad at all. With regards to the size of the hole, the plugs went in without a hitch using the same green grommet.

it could be possible to slide it in but will be a pain in the butt to align since the plugs can turn.

thanks for the observation though. i'm sure people can use the info. in the future.
                              89 E30 S52
                              Transaction Feedback.

Comment

I realized that you had used 12 of the same green grommets for your install. I bought my skirts and hardware from Blunttech and they sent me 12 of the green ones and 2 of the smaller white grommets for a total of 14. I noticed you skipped one of the plugs, using a total of 12. The o.d. of the white plugs is smaller, which explains them fitting the 5/16" hole, rather than the 3/8" for the green ones. The inside hole looks to be the same however--see photo.

Possibly you were shorted the 2 white grommets?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X