E30 Vert Power to Manual Conversion Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goldtl View Post
    so i guess it's part # 7 along with upper/lower bush and #12 covering caps?
    You need 472, 473 and 2 caps correct.
    Work We Do
    CAtuned Feedback Page|FB CAtuned Page
    http://www.catuned.com

Comment

Great write-up, thanks! I just completed mine without having seen it. Had a few frustrations, but I'm not a guru mechanic like many on R3V, and was also dealing with semi-non-related problems inherited from the idiot PO.

Tips from my install:

0. The top is easy, you just disconnect all the motor stuff and remove it - no parts are needed. You will need a torch or grinder to cut off the motor-to-top-frame push-arm. The tricky stuff for me was the storage flap.

1. Clean the two cable-released catches, then apply penetrating oil to the hinges and work a tiny bit of vaseline into the sliding surfaces of the moving parts. This will make the catches pop easier when pulling the release handle.

2. Pushing the long cable for the passenger-side catch under the carpet, it can get kinked and caught halfway where the slot in the sheetmetal widens out. If you don't get it through in one push, you will have to pull up the carpet, or use a stiff wire to fish the cable through.

3. If you were a more compulsive personality, you would also weld in the attachments to have the itty bitty shocks that hold up the storage lid. I did not, my shoulder works fine.

4. After some trial and error, I fished the two cables through into the interior from the top storage area and attached them to the release handle there. Don't forget the rubber grommet at the bulkhead.

5. When you pry the little end caps off the cable-to-handle attachment barrels, item 12 in the diagram, they will go flying and you will never see them again. Be careful.

6. You will need to adjust the longer, passenger-side cable via the built-in hex screw thing so the two catches release at the same time. If there is not enough adjustment, you can slot several small washers and use them at the cable-to-catch joint to take up slack.

7. On mine, even with the catches as far up in the chassis slots as they would go, the hoops (item 3 in the diagram) hanging down from the lid were not low enough to latch reliably. I had to install a few fender washers between the lid and the hoops to get the interface right.
      "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

Added your input at the top! Thank you!
        Work We Do

Comment

Originally posted by funcrew View Post
          3. If you were a more compulsive personality, you would also weld in the attachments to have the itty bitty shocks that hold up the storage lid. I did not, my shoulder works fine.
          For the compulsive types, here are the brackets you need to install

I'm looking for a pair of these brackets, preferably in sterling silver, to complete my conversion
          Last edited by robrez; 04-19-2013, 09:54 AM.
          sigpic
          January 2012 COTM

Comment

^Your going all the way on this! Nice!
            Work We Do

Comment

i finished mine about a month ago.. all except for removing the one hex bolt that holds in the motor which moves the top itself up and down.. now the fact that the motor and off of it workings at the top are still there means the right side of the top lip will not close all the way... it will latch but will not close.. any suggestions on how to remove that one hex outside of drilling?
              sigpic"God made cars to be RWD and standard"

Comment

I want to buy someone's power electric top parts like all the levers and rods. Please if you do this I'll buy your power top stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Ride View Post
                  I want to buy someone's power electric top parts like all the levers and rods. Please if you do this I'll buy your power top stuff!
                  Have some of the stuff. PM what you need.
                  Work We Do

Comment

Ive got a spare top motor if you need it?

Comment

Now I just need to find a donor vert
                      '91 Laguna vert
                      '89 Bronzit 325i
                      '87 Royal Blau 325 Four door

Comment

I wanna buy someone's parts to go from manual to power top. think it'd be pretty badass to have a power top.
                        I was given a later top by a guy I bought parts off of and it's a later year top, when they came electric, so I'm using that as my starting point. it's currently installed on my car and it fits fine. flush and everything.
                        however, I have no knowledge of the possibility of making an early car into a power top. if anyone knows any info it'd be great if you could let me know.
                        Last edited by J.Rizo; 12-18-2013, 01:21 AM.
                        sigpic
                        @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
                        Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

You can make it power. Early year or not. That won't matter. But trust me you don't want it. It's not a true power top. Manualy undoing the top and then starting to push up is required then it's power and when it down you still have to get out and make sure it's folded correctly then make sure it's latched. But best of luck :)
                          Work We Do

Comment

ill agree with you there catuned :) ...

Comment

Amazing veiws in that video. Thx
                              Work We Do

Comment

yea, I think I am going to keep my powered convertible top on mine. It works so why mess with it.
                                2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
                                (Daily Driver)
                                Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
                                KW V2 Coilovers
                                VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Working...
                                X