No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wondering if these oil lines to my oil cooler could be replaced with braided stainless lines? Not that it's necessary at all, but I think it would look nicer. Anyway, just inquiring.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ended up spending the weekend removing the oil pan on my Audi because I got a low pressure light for my oil. Pulled it off, cleaned the pan and pickup screen and sealed it back up again. Not the worst job I've done on that car.

Then got some new tires for the BMW.

Comment

Looking good!
        325IX Build Thread
        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
          Looking good!
          thank you sir. If you're saying that I must being doing something right considering your vehicle. lol

Comment

I replaced the light covers above my license plate and found some rust that needs assistance and some POR15 up it's ass.

Comment

The rust on the back end of the e30 continues to show it's head as my focus turns in that direction.

That being said a couple of things have happened.

I picked up a rear plastic bumper. I was unaware the back required new struts while the front does not. So I'll probably have to cough up some more money to get the rear to work. I also need to paint it.

In an attempt to prep for the read coming together I started to fix the hole in my trunk. It was a little bigger than I had expected. I used see composite POR15 and fiberglass to seal the hole, but I'll need some more effort to make it look nice and totally remove the rust.

Some pictures.

Comment

Ah yes and I found another wasp nest from a time since passed.

Comment

I'm sorry if sounding rude but get yourself a welder and do it the proper way..
                  It will only come back and when it does, the hole will even be bigger.

+ a mig comes in handy when dealing with stripped nuts and bolts etc..
                  1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                  1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

No it's not rude. It's a preference. The truth is, this hole needed to be patched before winter season. I don't have a trusted welder I feel is capable of making this a clean patch. Either way it rusted through so much that the valance separated from the battery box. That being said, to patch the huge hole was priority to avoid further issue. There is a good amount of rust still in that area that will need to be cleared up. POR15 and fiberglass cloth composite is extremely durable together and POR15 stops rust dead.
                    Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                    I'm sorry if sounding rude but get yourself a welder and do it the proper way..
                    It will only come back and when it does, the hole will even be bigger.

+ a mig comes in handy when dealing with stripped nuts and bolts etc..

Comment

I have done fiber glass patches to get by before and even with using POR15 the damage got worse over time. This is through my personal experience. It is okay to patch it with fiberglass for now as long as you fix it properly in the future. I would not let it go more than a couple of years at most.
                      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                        I have done fiber glass patches to get by before and even with using POR15 the damage got worse over time. This is through my personal experience. It is okay to patch it with fiberglass for now as long as you fix it properly in the future. I would not let it go more than a couple of years at most.
                        Thanks for the input. I'm curious how the rust kept spreading even with the POR on it. The inside of the battery box I ground back a few inches to bare metal and then prepped, cleaned and laid down the fiberglass on top of POR15 and went from there. The exterior is still fucked, but I was more concerned with the inside of the battery box this time. You think that won't last?

Comment

It will last for a while but it is not a permanent fix. If it was, then everyone would do it more often. If you plan to keep the car for the long haul I would invest in a welder. A welder as in the piece of equipment or a welder as in someone who welds. Its a useful skill to have when working on cars.
                          How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I recently finished fixing my rusty floor pans and fender bottom using some 20ga sheet metal and that cheapo $90 HF flux welder. It takes a little bit of skill when working with that machine, but it was so cheap and after everything is ground down, seam sealed, and coated with Eastwood rust encapsulator and rubberized undercoating... You could pretty much never tell. Much better than fiberglass, imo.

I'm a novice... You should learn! That welder has come in handy for a couple other previous projects as well.

(I've got more pics of the finished product but Tapatalk only lets me do 9 at once)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
                            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

What the hell, here: just wanted to show you that it can't be that hard or expensive if I could do it, although, time consuming--- yes.
                              I guess I didn't take as many pics as I should have before the carpet went back in :/

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
                              (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Turned out looking really good. I guess it may be time to learn welding sooner than I thought I'd have to. Either that or just pay someone.

I always knew the exterior would need to be welded, so I appreciate the advice you guys. This e30 has been a great learning experience for me and continues to be so.

Comment

Working...
                                X