Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E30 s54 swap A/C comp to radiator clearance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm running the e46 a.c. compressor on my s54 swapped e30 with the z3m radiator. Plenty of space.

E36 engine arms and revshift engine mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by iliad View Post
      I'm running the e46 a.c. compressor on my s54 swapped e30 with the z3m radiator. Plenty of space.

E36 engine arms and revshift engine mounts.
      Could you post a photo?
      IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by dude8383 View Post
        Could you post a photo?

Here are a few shots I just took;

Explore this photo album by Brian Hardy on Flickr!

Comment

Thanks!

Odd that this car I'm working on has the clutch interfering with the end tank. It appears your engine is further over towards the driver side and the clutch is directly in front of the core itself.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
            Thanks!

Odd that this car I'm working on has the clutch interfering with the end tank. It appears your engine is further over towards the driver side and the clutch is directly in front of the core itself.
            Yeah not sure what's going on.
            I've done this swap on a 325is and a 318is, neither had clearance issues with the ac.

Comment

2 things causing it. Finally was able to measure tonight, dug an e36 compressor out of the back shelves.

1. The transmission mount from Arc had a blem in one of the gussets and was hitting the transmission, tweaking it a bit.

2. The e46 compressor clutch is in fact larger in, both in extension and the outer edge diameter of the clutch. This is why iniad's clutch cleared the end tank left/right (where I mentioned it looked like the whole engine was more driver side), and in depth.

Now, the client is going to flip his lid. He was excited to have gotten the compressor with the drop-out motor, and to top it off, I already fabricated the high pressure line to suit the e46 compressor fitting. Grrr.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:

Comment

So the issue is the trans mount?
                What engine arms/mounts are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by diesekte View Post
                  "that guy" in the bring a trailer link is me lol. E36 compressor and E36 mishimoto radiator. Used the standalone can bus module and converted to r134. No stalling and AC was cold as hell even on the lowest setting
                  What fan did you use with the E36 radiator?
                  Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

A 16" spal low profile puller, this one I think https://m.ebay.com/itm/SPAL-30100400...8AAOSwC4Va1MvQ

I think that's the thinnest 16" spal.
                    It worked well enough even without a shroud except in stop and go Houston traffic. I mounted it in the top drivers side of the rad, but would've liked more cooling if possible just for added insurance

Comment

Originally posted by diesekte View Post
                      A 16" spal low profile puller, this one I think https://m.ebay.com/itm/SPAL-30100400...8AAOSwC4Va1MvQ

I think that's the thinnest 16" spal.
                      It worked well enough even without a shroud except in stop and go Houston traffic. I mounted it in the top drivers side of the rad, but would've liked more cooling if possible just for added insurance
                      Thanks what other options would you consider. I am thinking of going the E36 Rad and E36 AC compressor as well.

Comment

For this client, I will be using the stock e30 condenser fan wired to an e36 318ti thermal switch on the side of the radiator, then an additional puller fan wired only to the 80°c terminal of the same switch. Used this method in previous builds (albeit m/s50/2).

Nearly finished.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180525_001726_069[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	7197068
                        john@m20guru.com
                        Links:

Comment

For this client, I will be using the stock e30 condenser fan wired to an e36 318ti thermal switch on the side of the radiator, then an additional puller fan wired only to the 80°c terminal of the same switch. Used this method in previous builds (albeit m/s50/2).

Nearly finished.

[ATTACH]121713[/ATTACH]
                          What intake is that? Does it clear the stock booster?

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                            What intake is that? Does it clear the stock booster?

It's an aluminum turbo manifold made by Napol Performance in CAN. Pretty sure it will clear the stock booster, but didn't have a chance to check. Using the 944 booster and was going to modify the stock box, but then the client saw this mani and bought it since he planning on turbo later. IMO it's not going to make as much power as the stock one (in N/A form), but guess we will find out when we go to the dyno.

It's not a cheap way around the booster for N/A, but I feel it's a decent product for 800 clams.

2001-2006 BMW E46 M3 S54 Individual Throttle Body ITB Custom TIG Intake Manifold NPBoosted Aluminum TIG welded Aftermarket Intake Manifold KIT Fitment:: BMW 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 M3 E46 ENGINE: S54 - 3.2L Free Shipping: USA & Canada Worldwide Shipping: $49.95 INCLUDED: NPboosted BILLET E46 ITB Intake Manifold 4 Aluminum Vacuum / Pressure Fittings (Black Powder Coated Finish) Custom TIG Welded Aluminum Intake - Increased BHP - Improved throttle response and smoothness - Solid construction - 2 Year Warranty - MEETS OR EXCEED OEM PERFORMANCE Brand New Intake Kits / In packaging OEM Intake Part Numbers: 7 830 729 / 11617831305, 13717896774, 11617835820, 11617830265 7831297 , 78231296, 11617518034, 11617831745, 11617835820
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:

Comment

It's an aluminum turbo manifold made by Napol Performance in CAN. Pretty sure it will clear the stock booster, but didn't have a chance to check. Using the 944 booster and was going to modify the stock box, but then the client saw this mani and bought it since he planning on turbo later. IMO it's not going to make as much power as the stock one (in N/A form), but guess we will find out when we go to the dyno.

It's not a cheap way around the booster for N/A, but I feel it's a decent product for 800 clams.

http://napolperformance.com/bmw/indi...46-m3-s54.html
                              Interested to seeing the Dyno when you finish this. If its close to stock and i can leave the booster alone I could go that route. I have a 2002 booster sitting in a box right now.

Comment

Curious if those last cylinders flow well with that kind of manifold design in NA form. I would be all over that because the only other option is a carbon fiber one made to fit but those are $$$$
                                IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Working...
                                X