Bayside Fabrication S54 E30 Subrfame and Oil Pan Modification 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayside Fabrication S54 E30 Subrfame and Oil Pan Modification 2.0

Hey guys how's it going. Just wanted to put it out there that I completely redesigned my setup that I originally had in favor for a much simpler and over all better design. As for the subframe specs it is cut and reinforced with 1/8 plate, the cross member is 1.75x.095 DOM tubing, steering rack mounts are 3/16 steel. HD subframe adds 2 additional mounting points at the fire wall and is thru bolted to frame. Sway bar mounts are a boxed in design that are can be thru bolted or welded just in front of the subframe to the frame rail. This takes additional stress of the subframe. Oil pan is modified using 3/16” thick 5052 aluminum. All pans are bolted down with a sealed gasket to a flat surface and pressure tested to ensure there are no pin holes. Oil capacity is approximately .75qt greater than factory. I will get better pics as soon as a few customers start the conversion as I didn’t have the time or space completely pull my drivetrain again.

Parts I would need from customer
    1. Oil Pan. Include one of the m6x100mm long rear oil pan bolts. (Needs to be installed before expansion tank.
    2. Subframe. Complete or cut just outside of steering rack mounts and send me those 2 pieces. (Cutting will save on shipping)
    3. Dipstick tube with dipstick
    4. Oil drain tube

Additional info needed:
    1. I will also need to know what steering rack you are planning on using as the mounts are different from the e30 to e36/e46.
    2. Thru bolt or weld on sway bar mounts

Price is $800+shipping for standard mods
    $850 + shipping for the HD subframe.
    $25 for subframe jack point added

If interested I contact me at ben.sipson@gmail.com @baysidefabrication on instagram or call me at 860-324-7935. Also check out my facebook group S54 E30 Owners Group. Any questions feel free to ask.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1330.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.3 KB ID:	9862403
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8uYEgfh5SsKAqkJl8J9Raw_thumb_12f1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.1 KB ID:	9862401
    Click image for larger version  Name:	j%C%K4sfTQG6U6qYM8rCgw_thumb_12fa.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	9862402

Click image for larger version  Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_151d.jpg Views:	0 Size:	63.3 KB ID:	9862399

Click image for larger version  Name:	RDPwMAxNQuW9+4M5UVGamA_thumb_1507.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.2 KB ID:	9862400
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Widebody325; 08-17-2019, 12:01 PM.
    Follow me @baysidefabrication on Instagram

Awesome!

The Facebook group so far has been a ton of help for others too!

Comment

Looks awesome! I guess in the end it made more sense to go with a 'traditional' subframe mod rather than the first design you posted up?

Would you consider doing N5x oil pans as well? I think the mods to the subframe could be the same (or similar). And there's a bit of pent up demand - right now, you sort of have to do it on your own. S54s are still kind of expensive, but you can get a whole N52/N54/N55 parts car for a song.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        Looks awesome! I guess in the end it made more sense to go with a 'traditional' subframe mod rather than the first design you posted up?

Would you consider doing N5x oil pans as well? I think the mods to the subframe could be the same (or similar). And there's a bit of pent up demand - right now, you sort of have to do it on your own. S54s are still kind of expensive, but you can get a whole N52/N54/N55 parts car for a song.
        I would be down for sure. Problem is getting a donor motor plus a e30 together in order to get everything mocked up. As far as design this way is much less complicated and lighter at the end of the day. Plus gaining almost a qt more of capacity is a big benefit.

Comment

Any bump steer effects from changing the steering rack location?
          Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
          A Topless Memorandum

Comment

The steering rack location stays the same.

Comment

Originally posted by R3Z3N View Post
              The steering rack location stays the same.
              100% correct. Steering rack is in exact factory position.

Comment

Has anyone scaled the corners of the car to see how the weight, front to rear, is effected with this mod?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

The subframe or the motor? The S54 isn't light, it's going to dwarf any differences in subframe design..
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by cbett1 View Post
                    Has anyone scaled the corners of the car to see how the weight, front to rear, is effected with this mod?

This mounts engine and steering rack in factory position. Only big change really is the sway bar relocation. Which is moving maybe 8lbs forward about 9”

Comment

Originally posted by cbett1 View Post

Here is my car with S54, ZF 6 Speed, Luke Box 10" sub and 2 amps without and with me in the car which is also 5 lug BBKd. Nothing done to reduce weight.

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...&postcount=180

Comment

Going strong. Have done around 15 since I started. Currently working on a 420g trans bracket as well. Come to the facebook page s54 E30 Owners Group as this page seems kinda dead. Tons of great people on there just answer the questions and I’ll approve you.

Comment

This looks good, glad there is another solution after Tyler disappeared. I was thankful I got mine in before that.
                          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

I wish I would have added a jack pad to my arc asylum front sub frame before I got it powder coated...

Do you have better pics of swaybar mounting?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                            @Zakspeed_US

Comment

This is exciting. I'll definitely be contacting you for my future endeavors
                              -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
                              91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
                              08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
                              04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
                              Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
                              Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Working...
                              X