1984 m10 irratic starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1984 m10 irratic starting issue

So I have looked high and low for forums and every single one that I find I they PO does not post if he has found a solution or not. Sometimes this car starts and it idles at 2k rpm and sometimes it dies and I cant get it to start back up. When I start it, it starts for a second and dies. I have changed the ecu because it had blown op amps, I have replaced the tps, the ecu, tested all sensors and they seem to be in spec. Also replaced injectors and verified that they have 42 psi at the rail. This car has been sitting for 3 years and got it for 400 dollars. So issues that need to be addressed is the inline fuel pump died but we replaced the outside one and the fuel filter but I don't think that should matter because the new pump is working just fine. Fuse 20 keeps blowing but I don't think that would matter with the starting of the car. When I jump the cold start valve to the battery it works fine and revs accordingly.

Anyone have any ideas im at my end with this car.

is it better when the engine is up to temperature? can you keep it running with starter fluid? What about opening the throttle?

I would also verify the injector spray pattern and make sure there are no leaks at each injector. I'm sure that you have massive vac leaks as well, since the car has been sitting for a while.
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

ive checked everything I know my diaphragm in the brake booster isn't holding I have a hole where the boot is and now I checked the spray pattern and its so faint its crazy I think im loosing fuel pressure and the tank is super rusty so now I have to take out the tank and clean it.

Comment

Throw a coolant temperature sensor in it as a precaution. M10 Ljet will not run with a bad one. I drove the 318i for years and always kept one in the glovebox.

Comment

Working...
        X