No announcement yet.

Windshield Replacement DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$39, nice! Mine was PPG as well, I was afraid I was going to get some cheap shit brand or something.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
      A buddy of mine works for PPG, he is a part time driver.

If/when he goes full time, he gets product for cost.

He was told $39 for a new windshield for me, his "nephew".
      That's a terrific price.

See if he'll drop ship a 30-lite crate to the Birmingham PPG branch - for his other 'nephew'.
      McCain's military draft: Are you willing to bet your life?

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Groupie View Post

And I believe you can put an m3 windshield in a regular e30 with all the m3 hardware. The frames are the same behind it all if I am not mistaken.

This is correct, and my car is the proof (1991 318i chassis but I have an M3 windshield). However, if you do install an M3 windshield, there's one additional thing you'll want to source if you can: M3 A-pillar interior trim pieces. The standard 3-series ones do not wrap around to fully hide the vertical portion of where the windshield meets the body, since the M3 windshield curves out more from the A-pillar than a regular 3-series one (don't know how better to describe this). It's a very minor thing that I don't even think about, but it would be nice to have the perfect OEM look.

E30 24V 6MT SOLD :( - look for it in sunny Miami :)

Comment

Originally posted by m3_eater View Post
          This is correct, and my car is the proof (1991 318i chassis but I have an M3 windshield). However, if you do install an M3 windshield, there's one additional thing you'll want to source if you can: M3 A-pillar interior trim pieces. The standard 3-series ones do not wrap around to fully hide the vertical portion of where the windshield meets the body, since the M3 windshield curves out more from the A-pillar than a regular 3-series one (don't know how better to describe this). It's a very minor thing that I don't even think about, but it would be nice to have the perfect OEM look.

Frankly, I've never even considered doing an M3/is glass swap. I'd like to see how your finished product turned out. How much did it cost for the exterior moldings and M3 windshield? Is the pinchweld on the inside completely visible? Did the installer use a foam dam between the glass and body for a clean sight line?

Can you post some detailed pics?
          McCain's military draft: Are you willing to bet your life?

Comment

back from the dead,

im about to do a headliner so my glass is comin out. has anyone tried the string trick on reinstall?

where you put some string in the groove and get the rubber started along the outside of the glass then use the string to get the gasket over the rest of the glass. i saw it on trucks a few years ago.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
            Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Where are you all getting your non junkyard windshields from?

Comment

Originally posted by TurboFox93 View Post
                Where are you all getting your non junkyard windshields from?
                Just call around town and price them from the glass shops.

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

PPG(PGW now) glass is usually the best. Have a look through it first though, I had one that was wavy as hell. or save a few bucks on a Safelite.
                  [IMG]http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/

Comment

try to find a shady discount glass shop and tell them that you just want the glass. i paid $94 with a card, but they would have taken $80 in cash.
                    sigpic
                    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Was that $94 for PPG/PGW?

Comment

If you was closer, i'd let you take mine for $50. Its a new PPG only was in car for 5000 miles or so. Just has been sitting up in the attic.

1992 BMW 325iC
                        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Old thread, but a few bits following my install last weekend; 1) lubricate the heck out of the channel and strip to reinstall 2) while a tool isn't necessary, it will probably save :45min on the job...and considerable thumb-pain 3) if you're simply using plastic spreaders / rounded screwdrivers on the reinsertion - quite do able - consider following every few inches with rubber mallet thumps, which will guarantee an easy seat. 'Jealous of those of you near boneyards w/e30s; I had to relay on eBay for my locally delivered PGW at $120

Comment

My windshield just cracked.. It had a little chip and now there is a 3 foot crack..

Guess I will be doing this.
                            Winner winner chicken dinner?

My Seller Feedback Thread

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
                              back from the dead,

im about to do a headliner so my glass is comin out. has anyone tried the string trick on reinstall?

where you put some string in the groove and get the rubber started along the outside of the glass then use the string to get the gasket over the rest of the glass. i saw it on trucks a few years ago.
                              It is called "roping it in". I have done it successfully several times on older square body Chevy trucks. Lube the hell out of the gasket with diluted dish soap and water and lay a thin rope in the perimeter of the groove with several inches hanging out at the bottom corner. You need to start at one lower corner and go up and over and back down to the other corner. Do not put rope in the bottom as the gasket is already set. Set the windshield in the lower groove and gently pull on the rope at a 45 to 90 degree angle to the gasket. The rope coming out of the groove lifts the edge of the gasket over the windshield. No scratches or cracked glass.

Comment

What would you guys consider the best non oem glass for e30s?

Comment

Working...
                                X