No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am wondering if anyone has any information on aftermarket ICVs? The one I got was simply a band-aid (eBay purchased one) till I could find something better/OEM.

It looks like this is harder than you'd think though. All the ones I have found are either on back order, really expensive or NLA.

Does anyone know of a reputable aftermarket ICV or any suggestion as this part has been plaguing my life these days. The slightly bouncing idle is driving me nuts.

I know it's the ICV because when i got the new one it wasn't within spec with the resistance between each pin.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

Got Dayum!

This might seem like a small update, but for me it's substantial.

After all my work, all my replacements in search of a steady idle and a well running m20, I have come to find the issue!! And fuuuuuu... couldn't have been more of a relief.

Below you'll see a Y-pipe leading off my brake booster. Disregard that it's not connected to my intake, I was trying to figure if it was the issue and snapped a pic. The important part in the 1-2mm gap between the plastic housing and where the hose connects. I know the exact moment I created this gap and why. [emoji35]

Now below, you'll see the same part installed correctly, without any gaps in the plunger piece that connects to the Y.

This has completely remedied all my issues... dafuq?!? I'm happy, but also irritated.

A lot of effort has gone into trying to solve this issue. Glad it's done.

That being said, my car idles at probably 750~ and is so much faster than it ever has been.

Now to get into the fun stuff!

Comment

Today I had an epiphany. My car has been taking some time to start, like it's not holding pressure. Since I've replaced every fuel line so far, I figured that little hose connected to the fuel pump was probably the issue. Sure enough it was!

With confidence in my pocket I decided to redo the wiring for the pump as well. My friend and i hacked the wiring a while ago, but with access to a soldering iron I made it much nicer.

On the left you'll see the old wiring.

And this is what I ended up with. I would say it's much better.

Also here is a picture of my car.

Comment

Can someone tell me what the Asian face is on everyone's (a lot of people's) avatar?

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
            Two little things. Bought some missing push clips for the kick panel under the steering wheel. Little detail, but looks much better.

where did you get these from? dealership??

Can someone tell me what the Asian face is on everyone's (a lot of people's) avatar?
            First Rule about FredK is we dont talk about FredK
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              where did you get these from? dealership??
              this took me a min to find.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
              First Rule about FredK is we dont talk about FredK
              FredK? The member here? You're tellin' me an entire forum has an avatar of one guy that joined back in 2003?

Comment

FredK? The member here? You're tellin' me an entire forum has an avatar of one guy that joined back in 2003?

See Rule 1...

And thank you
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

My 1988 e30 325ix - Manual

Yesterday night i received a part that was much needed. In the morning my fuel pump was having issues holding a steady current. After reading through the Bentley and running the tests they recommend I determined my Voltage Regulator in the alternator was the issue.

Here is the old vs. the new. You can tell it was toast.

And a picture of the inside of the alternator. I have a feeling it needs to be cleaned or something to refresh it.

I also took some time to shine up the engine bay a little. Turned out OK, but I'm realizing the whole thing needs to be cleaned up more. It's just such a pain in the ass to do.
                  Last edited by jeenyus; 04-06-2018, 12:53 PM.

Comment

You mean voltage regulator
                    Love the project!
                    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
                      You mean voltage regulator
                      Love the project!

Good catch! Fixed it.

Comment

So shortly after replacing the voltage regulator, the placebo effect wore off and I realized it's my alternator that is due for a fixing.

I gotta take it to a shop and have them rebuild it. They said I could get it back same day, so I'm hopeful that will work out tomorrow.

I did get the chance to clean it too; which is something I've been meaning to do cause it's so ugly.

Before:

After:

I know probably everyone on this forum would do the same thing. I actually think I'm going to go back and clean it up even more before taking it to the repair shop.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the repair shop will clean the alternator when they disassemble is.
                          At least that's what my local one did when I gave them one that needed a refresh.
                          1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                          1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
                            I'm pretty sure the repair shop will clean the alternator when they disassemble is.
                            At least that's what my local one did when I gave them one that needed a refresh.

Oh, isn't that great! Haha [emoji28]

Comment

Let's try this again...

Before:

After:

Rebuilt by a local guy at a shop called "Snap Rebuilders". It was a great experience. He gave me a discount so the rebuild only cost me 80$ out the door. It looks great! It runs great! And it was same day turn around!

Comment

That does look very nice and great price aswell.

+ I told ya so ;)
                                1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                                1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Working...
                                X