885 head oil gallery/manifold studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

885 head oil gallery/manifold studs

Do you guys know how many and which intake manifold studs are going straight into the oil gallery on 885 heads? Are there any EX manifold studs going into oil? I was replacing my IN studs and 3 of them started to drip old oil. I was going to use copper anti-seize on studs but looks like ones that go into oil need some sort of thread sealant. Thanks

Sounds like someone put to long of a stud in there and blow through the casting.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

I don't believe any studs go into oil galleries. If they do and I'm not aware (or you choose to use the damaged head anyways) don't use anything that will contaminate your oil supply. That means no anti seize (metal flakes could contaminate oil supply)
      Budget E30 Parts - Used and Reconditioned parts for your BMW

Comment

Originally posted by andre3127 View Post
        i don't believe any studs go into oil galleries. If they do and i'm not aware (or you choose to use the damaged head anyways) don't use anything that will contaminate your oil supply. That means no anti seize (metal flakes could contaminate oil supply)
        +1
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

I cleaned up this head and it doesn't look like there is a visible path to the oil gallery. Wonder if it was introduced there during the assembly or just sipped through many years of the valve cover leak. Going to install m8x1.25 air barb into each hole and pull some vacuum to see if it holds. Probably good idea to pressure test the head too. Did some googling...looks like 2002, e30 and e36 owners report similar findings but have yet to find something on the cause. PM's bimmerheads since he deals with old hads a lot to see what is his take on this

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
            I cleaned up this head and it doesn't look like there is a visible path to the oil gallery. Wonder if it was introduced there during the assembly or just sipped through many years of the valve cover leak. Going to install m8x1.25 air barb into each hole and pull some vacuum to see if it holds. Probably good idea to pressure test the head too. Did some googling...looks like 2002, e30 and e36 owners report similar findings but have yet to find something on the cause. PM's bimmerheads since he deals with old hads a lot to see what is his take on this
            I tested stud holes with 90kpa (max my hand vac can do) of vacuum, no leaks. If anyone else finds oil there, don't panic and assume you head is cracked. Looks like oil can get in there from surrounding leaks

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X