X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    At least hes a true car guy
    That's been my thoughts the whole time, but i was leaving that one alone.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Damn, y'all cold. Delia's car needed work but $3-5k would be on the soft side.

It's actually doing quite well re: timing belt change because it was replaced in 2011 and prior to that in 1998. It's only 7 years old this time; that's better than 13 years last time!

If you don't acknowledge how important proper timing belt maintenance is on these cars you're either rather stupid or trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes. "It'll be fine."

I have pictures of what "fine" looks like. It looks like six broken rockers, although without the broken rockers I wouldn't have known how badly the cylinders were scarred.
      1990 325i/4/5, 1992 240SX, 1995 RRC, 1998 M3/4/5

Comment

I highly doubt the timing belt intervals were 10 years and 13 years, what seems more likely is that those are the ones she actually had records of...

The whole "it'll be fine, trust me Im Delia" was the part that really irritated me

anyways we have a LS car, a supercharged S52, basic 325ix and then a Hartge car still up... they are doing well overall it seems
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

$17k for Frankenbimmer Touring. Sweet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

I highly doubt the timing belt intervals were 10 years and 13 years, what seems more likely is that those are the ones she actually had records of...

The whole "it'll be fine, trust me Im Delia" was the part that really irritated me

Agree, that was ridiculous.
            Even more strange is that she is/was a mechanic. Why not just do it and avoid all the questions? The parts are not expensive.
            1991 318iC
            1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

You know the new owner is going to show up to some E30 show and be like “this was owned Delia Wolfe”, and everyone else will be all “who?”

Someone commented that they never see E30’s on those wheels.. that tells you all you need to know about the BAT world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Delia_whatever listing
                Dude....I've never had so much fun reading a BAT listing. 2mAn thanks for spreading the truth and warning buyers...I mean "torpedoing the auction". wtf. This whole thing only further convinces me that BAT has paid commenters that step in to keep the auction on track. I'm positive that some of those folks swarm into the end of every auction and hype things up and cheer on bidders.
                Last edited by rjmcdermott81; 08-17-2018, 08:02 PM.
                Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                COTM Aug 2019

Comment

where's the Delia listing anyway?
                  If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                    where's the Delia listing anyway?

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1988 BMW 325is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #11,681.

My last comment after being accused of trying to torpedo her auction...

A logical comment that came after the auction was over
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

Ditto

At the end, the seller wasn't thinking straight.:p

Seriously in dry climates like Arizona, belts can become brittle and worn much more quickly, so even the 4-5 year rule doesn't necessarily apply.

But if the car isn't driven...and sits for long periods of time, the belts take on the bends and shapes of the pulleys while the car is parked. Both circumstances increase the likelihood of belt failure.

Sure you can extend the period for a while maybe 10% as I was told by my mechanic but at what risk????

These people in that auction simply didn't care and yeah, the way I saw it, the seller didn't want to spend $1000 - $1500 in preventive maintenance.

At one point, the seller extrapolated that the car could go another 10,000 miles on a 7 year old belt before people started indicating otherwise. Sorry but that's just reckless.
                      Last edited by Javier h; 08-19-2018, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                        At the end, the seller wasn't thinking straight.:p
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

Spit out my morning coffee :rofl:
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

The belt issue was a dead horse. It was made clear it would need to get done soon after purchase as the seller obviously didn't feel the need to do it. People typically just want to off load their cars and not put anymore time/money into them and that's fine as long as everything is disclosed. Since she had many fans on BAT, her word was all they needed. That was entertaining though. It read like some opera play.
                            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                              People typically just want to maximize profit on their cars at the expense of the buyer and not put anymore time/money into them and that's fine as long as everything is disclosed, which it isn't in an online setting.
                              The attempt to convince folks that the basic maintenance wasn't due was the real issue here. Not doing it and saying it should be done is great, but it also looks like you neglect your car, whereas if you justify why you do neglect your car many people will assume you are correct because of facts.

Comment

That in no way shape or form was an 11k car. People are smoking crack anymore.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Working...
                                X