Save it or trash it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Save it or trash it?

My original trans has no second gear and itll only shift into 3rd at idle. These transmission are getting quite rare around me. There are literally none for sale. Is there any way to save this transmission? I dont see any rebuild kits anywhere online.
    Originally posted by Lof8
    Seriously. Every black wheel, regardless of spoke design, looks the same from more than 3 feet away.

I think CAtuned offers rebuilds, but they aren't cheap. $1600+

Best bet is to find someone who's parting a car. :^(

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
      I think CAtuned offers rebuilds, but they aren't cheap. $1600+

Best bet is to find someone who's parting a car. :^(
      yeah thats not an option... id rather start an M60 swap than pay that much for a trans rebuild i know people that can rebuild it. just finding the parts doesnt seem so easy.
      Originally posted by Lof8
      Seriously. Every black wheel, regardless of spoke design, looks the same from more than 3 feet away.

Comment

G260s are heading towards hard to find/ expensive to rebuild land. Like 245's.

This summer, a couple of Pro3 racers got 'fresh' ones from BMW that didn't last very long at all.

And rebuilding one's a pain. Rumor is, the current style synchro is not holding up.

Just what I'm hearing.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
          G260s are heading towards hard to find/ expensive to rebuild land. Like 245's.

This summer, a couple of Pro3 racers got 'fresh' ones from BMW that didn't last very long at all.

And rebuilding one's a pain. Rumor is, the current style synchro is not holding up.

Just what I'm hearing.

t

The syncronizer of g260 from bmw is unchanged and shared with G265.

super simple item; what was ordered from bmw was identical what came out of the 1984 gearbox.

the cost of rebuilding a G260 properly (not r3vtardedly) and fitting actual new parts i.e bearings, syncronizers etc etc is alot more than just fitting a euro 320D 2005-6 6mt into an e30.

Bearings and syncros are still avail from bmw; just take a long time to show up from germany.

from simply looking the prices of complete units offered by those "rebuilding" G260 units I can 100% say that the bearings, syncros going inside are not all brand new.

at $1600 No way they can even buy all new proper replacement internal parts for the price they are charging; as well as make profit from labor.

Honestly the best solution is to copy my actions in 2010 and install the euro 320D 6mt gearbox; it bolts to the m20
          OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Have you ordered BMW synchros in the last 8 months?
            The story goes that they have changed just recently.

The particular gearboxes in question came from BMW-
            now, having lived through the Mobile tradition horseshit,
            I wouldn't be shocked if a 3rd party did the rebuilding...
            but as an old gearbox lasts for seasons, a freshened one should
            last more than one.

And no, we have to run 260s in the Pro3 cars. Dem's de rules.
            And God help those who poke at them!

heh

t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Save it or trash it?

Have you ordered BMW synchros in the last 8 months?
              The story goes that they have changed just recently.

The particular gearboxes in question came from BMW-
              now, having lived through the Mobile tradition horseshit,
              I wouldn't be shocked if a 3rd party did the rebuilding...
              but as an old gearbox lasts for seasons, a freshened one should
              last more than one.

And no, we have to run 260s in the Pro3 cars. Dem's de rules.
              And God help those who poke at them!

heh

t
              My local bmw dealership may still have some of the older Syncros in stock from my prior orders- if they have changed.

No such demand to be buying these often; nobody out there who needs one really wants to spend on new everything.

If the budget was there the ability to properly install correct items is here.

Even if the items have changed recently nla legacy parts can be found.

From my experience building a lot of high end differentials pricy gearboxes the customers for gearbox are even fewer.
              Last edited by Wanganstyle; 10-11-2017, 02:56 PM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

yeah, it's a Pro3 problem, near as I can figure.
                And we BEAT on the 260, flat shifting, AKG shifters, all of it.

And it's just a couple of cars, so far, that have told stories of premature failure.

But the ready supply of 260s is drying up locally, it seems.

t

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                  r3vtarded
                  Seriously bro, why do you even post here? You've used that word a nauseating amount of times in your holier-than-thou, know-it-all, condescending posts whether talking about or directly to people on this forum.

Simply put, your schtick is tired.
                  Originally posted by kronus
                  would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I'm sure the OP is long gone, but the E36/E46 gearbox is cheap, plentiful and stout.

I am too lazy to dig- how hard is it to get a driveshaft for one of those to work with an M20 in an E30?

t

Comment

Save it or trash it?

I'm sure the OP is long gone, but the E36/E46 gearbox is cheap, plentiful and stout.

I am too lazy to dig- how hard is it to get a driveshaft for one of those to work with an M20 in an E30?

t

Nobody who knows they are not a r3vtard has ever complained about the term ;p

As far as driveshafts the same used for a 24v swap setup would carry over

Trans+ driveshaft

So if it was a 36m/328 with zf sg320 the 5 speed shaft would carry over

325/323 with getrag g250 the 36 driveshaft would carry over to the e30

Realistically if the box is avail and needed then the driveshaft quite possibly could be needed also

30m and eta big flange drive shaft do direct interchange with zf5 36m driveshaft.

Frankenstein in the ex lemons/gts1 e30 with 24v uses 36m box and 328 e36 driveshaft with e30 center bearing

Comment

I rebuilt a g260 last year. The synchro’s are 180 bucks a pop and the bearings are like 220. Seas were another 100 bucks or something like that and yea they a real pain in the ass because the detents that go on the gears/synchro’s for 1st and revers as well as 3rd and 4th i believe come apart very very easily while trying to put the main shaft in the rear case so you have to make sure you hold the shift forks so they stay together for both those gears while wiggling the main shaft into the case and fitting the lay shaft in with it all at the same time. Simply put you need about 3 sets of hands in a confined space and its hell on the fingers. Would not recommend if you aren’t a seasoned mechanic with all the proper tools.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                          I rebuilt a g260 last year. The synchro’s are 180 bucks a pop and the bearings are like 220. Seas were another 100 bucks or something like that and yea they a real pain in the ass because the detents that go on the gears/synchro’s for 1st and revers as well as 3rd and 4th i believe come apart very very easily while trying to put the main shaft in the rear case so you have to make sure you hold the shift forks so they stay together for both those gears while wiggling the main shaft into the case and fitting the lay shaft in with it all at the same time. Simply put you need about 3 sets of hands in a confined space and its hell on the fingers. Would not recommend if you aren’t a seasoned mechanic with all the proper tools.
                          haha its a fun game. lots of swearing and beer involved; need like 4 hands for that BS

its also stupid expensive; i'm always prepared for expensive because Bring My Wallet but damm..... was like extra stupid expensive for the weird little parts.

Comment

Working...
                          X