Intermittent Temp gauge + bleeding issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intermittent Temp gauge + bleeding issue

Swapped a S50 into my car paired with a M42 radiator. My temp gauge worked before the swap just fine. Got the engine going and it looked like the gauge wasn't moving even though the car was getting plenty hot. Swapped out temp sensors (even though I had an E30 temp sensor in there to begin with), and it began to work.
    I tried to bleed my coolant to no avail because I ran out of time. Let the car sit overnight and then I tried to bleed my coolant again but my temp gauge wasn't working again! I checked that I had continuity from the sensor plug all the way to C101 so it's not my wiring harness. Could there be an air bubble so big that it's preventing my temp gauge from working? I have been having bleeding issues after all.

Yes I've smacked the dash ;)
    Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

Raise the front of the car super high up.

Have the heater on full blast

You can buy an infrared gun and point it at the radiator and see where it's at.

-
    Project
    Parts for Sale
    Feedback
    YouTube Channel

Comment

Another trick that seems to help with the m42/e36 radiator expansion tank is to fill the radiator first from the top hose, then continue to add more fluid to the tank. I've had good luck trying to bleed the cooling system this way, since the fill tank sits a good bit lower than the m20's setup.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
        Another trick that seems to help with the m42/e36 radiator expansion tank is to fill the radiator first from the top hose, then continue to add more fluid to the tank. I've had good luck trying to bleed the cooling system this way, since the fill tank sits a good bit lower than the m20's setup.
        No such luck this way.

I'm wondering what it could be, it's a certain air pocket.

I don't have any heat anymore, and I can't get the vents to blast out remotely warm air even when giving it high revs at operating temp.

Both radiator hoses are hot and feel like they have water pumping through them.

I shut the engine off when the radiator reaches 208*F via temperature gun.

Could my thermostat be stuck closed? Zero heat and both radiator hoses get very hot.

Currently on my 5th day of bleeding this thing
        Originally posted by TSI
        OEM+

Comment

Both my inlet and outlet heater hoses are hot but still don't have heat.
          Originally posted by TSI
          OEM+

Comment

are you 100% sure you don't have the heater hoses backwards?
            '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
            Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by Sh3rpak!ng View Post
              are you 100% sure you don't have the heater hoses backwards?
              Spider hose on top, cylinder head hose on bottom
              Originally posted by TSI
              OEM+

Comment

Heater valve failed, making it impossible to bleed.
                Originally posted by TSI
                OEM+

Comment

Working...
                X