Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ttrousdell's Project Thread (E30 M3 & S38 swap content)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love that 02. Really wanting one that isnt a race car now haha.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

A roundie is definitely going to be my next car, if I ever get the two cars I have now done. Lol.
      How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

Its been a while since an update and alot has happened with life. I moved off Long Island to Northeastern Pennsylvania. I took a little break from the car projects for a while to get the house in order. Over the last few months I have been back at it.

Im sad to say but I sold the tii. I replaced the gas tank, fuel lines, and filters. The car was back up and running but far from reliable. It had rust, needed at the very least a regasket of the engine and basically everything rubber was shot. I fought myself on the idea of selling it but eventually I did. It was more of a project then I wanted at this point in life. It went to a BMW CCA member in MD where it should be restored.

I then focused on my 325is. Hood pins and lifting the hood off the car was getting old quick and I wanted to convert the car back to a functioning hood. I found a local guy selling an OEM rad support and threw it in.

Other than that I have just been driving the hell out of it. My buddies 71' 2002.

get out and drive

Z3 M that used to be red.

I live in an area with a ton of dirt roads. After watching some old group B rally videos I thought why not buy a beater to throw around on these roads. I started browsing Craigslist and this Gem poped up. He said it had low compression in cylinder #2. I took a chance and we agreed on $500.

Beat the balls out of it with little power for a week before I got the new HG Kit.

F**kin Mint

Cleaned up the block and getting ready to put the head back on.

Still feels down on power. I messed with the distributor position so needs some fine adjustment but still enough to have fun again. Just before I cracked the exhaust in half and sent the rear shock into the trunk.

Also been giving the M3 some love in preparation for TedFest Toronto. Will be a 800 mile road trip and some maintenance was definitely in order.
        • Oil and filter change
        • Mishimoto radiator, coolant lines, Fan shroud
        • Stainless Clutch Line
        • AKG Shifter
        • Revshift Motor and tranny mounts
        • Supersprint exhaust

Progress. Everything takes more time than you think.

Shifter In

Took a weekend to get that stuff done but man do I like the sound and feel of this car much more.

Some mics pics of the car in the last month

Car show yesterday near Honesdale, PA. Owner of the red Mercedes has been a euro car enthusiast for 40 years. Always nice to meet interesting people thought this hobby.

Last edited by ttrousdell; 07-16-2018, 01:50 PM.

The Build:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

I wanna be cool like you when I grow up!
          Click here to leave me feedback on our transactions. :p

Comment

Looking great Tom! How's that shifter feel in comparison?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by poopin04 View Post
              I wanna be cool like you when I grow up!
              ;D thank you Darrel
              Originally posted by Bejoe16 View Post
              Looking great Tom! How's that shifter feel in comparison?
              Thanks Joe. I personally love the shifter. Very well made and tight. I like that its closer to the steering wheel so my hand doesn't have to travel as far and I can shift faster.

Few more good photos.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	7192656

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	7192657

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	7192658

Name:	17.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	7192659

Name:	20.jpg
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	7192660

Thanks for viewing.

The Build:

Comment

Great thread, great cars, Love the S14 swapped E30, love it.
                Would read again.

Looking forward to meeting up with you sometime in the near future.
                Jimmy P.
                87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                98 318Ti Morea Green
                04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

It was going on 2 years I thought this thread was dead. Sorry to see the roundie go. Nice house.
                  How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

This thread delivers! I am building a m52b30 325iS as my "drive the hell out of car" and have a Zinno M3 that's slowly undergoing a classy resto- aka similar choice in vehicles.

I grew up just an hour south of you in Montgomery county, have a bunch of friends up your way (albeit I live in the midwest currently).

Great work, man, keep it up.
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

wow, what a whilrwind of ideas, swaps, cars, etc. this has been a very diverse build to read through. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Just read through 26 pages. Great stuff! Too bad the 2002 didn't work out... I'm sure you'll have another one in your possession sooner than later!
                        JP
                        WTB: Z3 1.9 lever, plastic bumpers, 19# injectors, Anthracite Cloth Sport Seats

Current
                        88 325 super eta
                        00 528i/5 (daily)
                        02 530iA sport

Former
                        04 525iA sport
                        87 325is
                        91 325i
                        97 528i

Comment

Just read this whole thing from front to back again. Can't believe you sold the black car. One of my earliest r3v memories was reading you changing M20 to M20 and then it just progressed further from there. Hopefully it went to a good home.
                          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Always happy to find some more local e30 guys around this area- we are spread out too thin up here in NEPA! Next time your down and around Wilkes-Barre, hit me up!
                            555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                            '95 BMW e34 525i
                            '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
                            '92 Range Rover Classic
                            '90 Range Rover Classic
                            '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
                            '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
                            '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
                            '67 Pontiac LeMans
                            '24 Model T Depot Hack
                            ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Does this car have an Instagram
                              Love the s14 e30

-
                              Project
                              Parts for Sale
                              Feedback
                              YouTube Channel

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                                Great thread, great cars, Love the S14 swapped E30, love it.
                                Would read again. Looking forward to meeting up with you sometime in the near future.
                                Was nice to meet you Jimmy. Hoping we can meet up again when it gets warmer.

Name:	12.jpg
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	7194069

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                                It was going on 2 years I thought this thread was dead. Sorry to see the roundie go. Nice house.
                                There will always be an e30 in my life and this thread will never die. Thanks. Its been a great house and ive been enjoying country livin'

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                                This thread delivers! I am building a m52b30 325iS as my "drive the hell out of car" and have a Zinno M3 that's slowly undergoing a classy resto- aka similar choice in vehicles.
                                I grew up just an hour south of you in Montgomery county, have a bunch of friends up your way (albeit I live in the midwest currently).
                                Great work, man, keep it up.
                                Ive been viewing your thread and Im a fan. Nice score on that M3. Montgomery PA is about 2 hours south. Im up in the northern corner

Originally posted by AC_Schnitzel View Post
                                Just read through 26 pages. Great stuff! Too bad the 2002 didn't work out... I'm sure you'll have another one in your possession sooner than later!
                                Yea I would have loved to keep it and restore but it had rust issues and really needed to be stripped and put on a rotisserie to meet my standards. I also didn't have the time for it. I do love 2002s so its possible ill get one again later in life.

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                                Just read this whole thing from front to back again. Can't believe you sold the black car. One of my earliest r3v memories was reading you changing M20 to M20 and then it just progressed further from there. Hopefully it went to a good home.
                                Over 8 years with that car and 5 different engines. I definitely had my fun with it. I sold it to an enthusiast in Chicago. He has an e30 M3 with an s52 so he is going to swap the S14 into his M3 and put the S52 in my old car and track it.

Originally posted by Klug View Post
                                Always happy to find some more local e30 guys around this area- we are spread out too thin up here in NEPA! Next time your down and around Wilkes-Barre, hit me up!
                                Once it gets warmer we should plan a meet. Not so many vintage BMWs up here unfortunately.
                                Originally posted by iwantspeed View Post
                                Does this car have an Instagram
                                Love the s14 e30
                                ttrous789
                                Thanks man.

At about the time I sold my S14 325is I began to look for a good daily e30 since it would have been too much work to convert the S14 car to fit that role. I also missed having an engine that cost little to maintain. It had to have a M20B25 or M42, Be pretty original and decently clean, little rust, manual preferred and not cost 20k. I have to say the e30 market is nothing like it was 8 years ago when I went to buy my first e30. Good luck to anyone looking for an E30 in the northeast. They are all rusted or overpriced.
                                After seeing several cars in my area that didnt meet my standards I began to browse west coast Craigslists for something with a solid body. I quickly found a nice 88 325is and flew to LA. Well it had a shit Tijuana paint job and the bondo on the rear quarter was just starting to crack relieving evidence of a prior accident. Highly discouraged I flew back to NY
                                I gave up on the daily e30 search for a few months then this popped up on the R3v facebook. It checked all the boxes and I anxiously booked a flight to see it.

Name:	13.jpg
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	7194070

The first owner had the car for 29 years but after it broke a rocker the car sat neglected. The guy I bought it from, a mechanic, purchased the car and did the head job and now offered it for sale. The car had been an Alabama car its whole life so the body is very solid. The car has moon miles (350k+) but the drive train seems solid. Yes there are issues but with a little money and TLC it will fit the role of a nice daily.

I am hoping to make the car an OEM+ build. No cutting, welding, major fabricating this time.

Parts ordered or to be installed in the near future
                                • H&R springs and shocks, cup suspension
                                • H&R Sway bars
                                • New sway bar links
                                • Soft Poly 80A Bushings all around
                                • New Brake Rotors, Hawk Pads, Stainless lines
                                • Little interior and exterior bits to clean her up

Future Plans
                                • Miller MAF conversion
                                • Supersprint Exhaust
                                • JB Lightweight Flywheel.
                                • Body work, Paint

I still have the 15x8 BBS RS wheels from the old build so those will be the summer shoes. She will be a looker again.

Name:	15.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	7194071

Name:	17 (2).jpg
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	7194072
                                Last edited by ttrousdell; 02-20-2018, 08:12 AM.

The Build:

Comment

Working...
                                X