• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like it with the trim rings better.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yes, they need to be transferred over, but still need to paint it. I also just found the option to go with some satin or black trim rings which removes any of the metal color from the cluster. My interior doesn really have any metal color other than the shifter and e-brake handle. They are stainless, so the shade of metal does not match either. I might sport the aluminum ones for a little bit before deciding on the black ones. With the front plastic cover off, it makes it easier to swap.
      Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
      BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
        I like it with the trim rings better.
        x2.

I put them in my first e30. They even make night viewing of the gauges better, well, did for the stock bulbs. Not sure if the LED will make a difference.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:
        Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

In the end, decided to go with the black refreshed cluster and then went with some satin black clusters rings. While the aluminum had a nice contrast, it didnt match the stainless steel color of the shifter/ebrake and I rather a more less subtle contrast to match closer to stock. The satin rings just do it right. I have all the LEDS in and working and hope to post a picture of it when it is all installed.

Here is a before and after:

After:

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
            In the end, decided to go with the black refreshed cluster and then went with some satin black clusters rings. While the aluminum had a nice contrast, it didnt match the stainless steel color of the shifter/ebrake and I rather a more less subtle contrast to match closer to stock. The satin rings just do it right. I have all the LEDS in and working and hope to post a picture of it when it is all installed.

Here is a before and after:

After:
            Looks good!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
            '91 318i (Alpine) - daily
            '88 325ix (Zinno) - drive here and there!

Comment

That looks really really nice. More a classic look than shiny rings
              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Here is a picture of the cluster with the light on at night. Used phone this time. The glow in the MGP gauge is nice at night due to the strength of the bulbs but more subtle in person.

Here is picture of all the lights showing the LED colors. The turn signal greens are blinding, that is for sure. I still need the gas to go down to the reserve to kick in the amber low fuel light. Other than that, all is working as it should. I do recommend this update. The camera is not the best to get the lower lights nice and I wasn't going to play with filters to get it nice. I can show it to anyone in person if they like...lol.

Comment

Small update. I installed a Mtech1 steering wheel. My dad had a 87 635csi in the mid 90s and my sister wrecked it. But right before that happened, he had bought a brand new steering wheel. I am guessing about $200 at the time. He has had it in storage for over 15 years since we parted the car in his work warehouse not covered. It was covered in dust and wood shavings as it is a freight forwarding company. The heat was also not good for it. I asked to borrow it until I get an mtech2 version as he forgot about it. I told him it needs to go into his e28 535i when I am done with it. It was so bad that I had to give it a good cleaning as it was very tacky. Took horn pads apart to give the rubber a cleaning and then applied Leatherique oil and clean to revive the leather. It is night and day but I need to give it another pass in a few weeks as some areas have a dry patch. Here is the pic of it installed. I had to use two 5/8 lock washers from home depot in the meantime until I can get the proper spacer from BMW as combined, they meet the same 14mm as the BMW spacer. I have the PN but I want to try on getting a thinner spacer. I want the gap between the wheel and column to be smaller. The stalks on the side are so much closer and cool but still need to get use to it or can always try to get non-airbag switches as worst case.

Comment

Little update. I bought a LED bulb for my 3rd brake light like I have on my e39. I also installed the George Graves voltmeter SI light replacement that I bought over 2 years ago. It works like a charm, and tells me my voltage and I can see my issue that unless I rev the car to 3k RPM, the alternator does not kick in via the excite wire. My research states its an internal fault or voltage regulator. I just got my Bosch VR and will install it later this week. But another thing that looks to be fixed is my Brake Lining light. It always flickers and after research 5 years ago, and with the cluster out, I took a crack at it, no pun intended. There is a resistor on the back of the main cluster board that over time due to heat, will have the solder points crack. Sure enough they were and resistor was rocking on the pins/solder. Added a little solder and now its solid. Now when car is powered on, the light is quiet as a mouse. I still need to drive it to see how it works with movement and vibration but confident it should be fine.

Here is a pic of the LED bulb from SuperBrightLEDS.com.

Comment

I haven't messed with trying to access the bulb in my 3rd brake light. How bad is it to get to? Also, I can't see your images using Chrome. They are just not there. Anyone else having that issue pls?

Comment

Originally posted by jdt10768 View Post
                        I haven't messed with trying to access the bulb in my 3rd brake light. How bad is it to get to? Also, I can't see your images using Chrome. They are just not there. Anyone else having that issue pls?
                        Easy, open the trunk, look under the rear window/tray and bulb holder is there, twist and pull out.

I use Chrome to post and work so no issues on my end. If you are checking from work, proxy servers might block photobucket pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
                          Easy, open the trunk, look under the rear window/tray and bulb holder is there, twist and pull out.

I use Chrome to post and work so no issues on my end. If you are checking from work, proxy servers might block photobucket pictures.
                          Yup, proxy server. I had turned it off for some reason! Thanks

Comment

this one correct?
                            LED replacement bulbs can fit vehicle tail lights, brake lights, reverse lights, turn signals or side marker lights. This 1156 single-contact bulb has 18 LEDs (5050 SMD) that create a 360° viewing angle for better, allover light emission with reduced hot spots. Amber lights feature high-intensity LEDs that are ideal for high brightness LED applications. Tower-style design with a BA15S 15-mm bayonet base for easy plug-and-play installation—just twist to lock in place. The energy-efficient bulb operates with in a wide 10-30V DC range and is designed to last 30,000 hours on your car, truck, SUV, or van—25 times longer than incandescent bulbs. Available in cool and warm white, amber and red. Not sold in pairs. Price per bulb.

Comment

Did you replace the amber plastic that disperses the light behind the cluster, or are the LEDs just really bright?
                              RHD OBD2 M50b25 turbo build thread:
                              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=384800

Comment

Originally posted by ba114 View Post
                                Did you replace the amber plastic that disperses the light behind the cluster, or are the LEDs just really bright?
                                I had one good one and used another good one from the spare cluster. It works with out it but the amber hue was not the same. Our light is more of a orange red mix.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X