95maxrider's Rally-x '88 E28 build- caged, head swap and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by irish44j View Post
    If you mean an aftermarket tach, most have a switch somewhere on them that specifies 4cyl, 6cyl, 8cyl.....You need to select the one that says 6cyl, obviously. It's also fully possible, if you have the aftermarket tach set right, that your stock one is no good. BMW gauges are FTMFL.....

I have a cheap Sunpro tach and works fine with my car. My M42 tach gets its signal from the DME/ECU since I have no dizzy. I think you have a distributor, though, so the tach should be wired to the positive and negative leads of your coil, IIRC.

naming stickers, eh? you gonna put the merry-land flag on it? ;)
    Nice ninja edit ;)

The weird thing is there is no 4/6/8 switch or pill for the tach, so I'm at a bit of a loss. Which Sunpro did you go with? I considered the OEM being wrong, but since it reads a proper 5300 redline (you know, when I'm bouncing off of it), I think it's fine. The Sunpro's movement also isn't very smooth, so I'm thinking it's somehow the problem. Maybe I just got a dud?

Yup, I'll be repping MD and Bobby will rep DE. It should be good for a

Another problem has surfaced recently and I'm not sure what to make of it. The car has been driven about 5 times since the last event, and about a month ago when I took it out to play in the snow, I noticed something strange going on with the clutch engagement. When engaging first gear from a stop, there is a point high up in the clutch travel when the clutch is just about engaged that the car lurches forward, like I'm letting out the clutch too fast. It does this now 100% of the time, but I only notice it when going into first. It's rather annoying, and has me worried about a glazed disc or something along those lines. Patrick's first idea was to bleed the clutch line, so I'm gonna try that when I get a chance. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before?

I just realized that you and Patrick are the only people who have replied to this thread :( Maybe I should stay on the org.....

________________________1988 528e Rally-xmobile___________________
    2014 WDCR Rally-X MR Season Champion, 2014 NE Div. Challenge MR Winner

Comment

I have the Super Tach II....the cheapie.

Modern tech from a classic tach... Using today's technology and accuracy. This line of tachometers have an easy to read dial face, which displays 0-8000 RPM inside a chrome bezel. Features internal dial lighting and an adjustable redline pointer. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 cylinder OEM electronic or breakerpoint ignitions and most aftermarket systems, these pedestal-mount tachometers are available with a black or white face and come with mounting hardware. Features: Internal dial lighting Accurate air core meters 0-8,000 RPM scale 250° dial sweep Adjustable red line pointers Works on 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines Functions with breaker-point, electronic and most aftermarket ignition systems (not magnetos) Includes mounting hardware Hook-up hardware kit

IIRC it has a switch inside the rear cover that has a 4 6 and 8 on it.
      Stage rally/rallycross e30 build/competition journal
      Track/street e21 build
      visit Condor Speed Shop
      visit Motorsport Hardware

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I have the Super Tach II....the cheapie.

Modern tech from a classic tach... Using today's technology and accuracy. This line of tachometers have an easy to read dial face, which displays 0-8000 RPM inside a chrome bezel. Features internal dial lighting and an adjustable redline pointer. Compatible with 4, 6, or 8 cylinder OEM electronic or breakerpoint ignitions and most aftermarket systems, these pedestal-mount tachometers are available with a black or white face and come with mounting hardware. Features: Internal dial lighting Accurate air core meters 0-8,000 RPM scale 250° dial sweep Adjustable red line pointers Works on 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engines Functions with breaker-point, electronic and most aftermarket ignition systems (not magnetos) Includes mounting hardware Hook-up hardware kit

IIRC it has a switch inside the rear cover that has a 4 6 and 8 on it.
        Lol.

Well I'm not sure how in the world we missed the switch when installing it, but we did. I flipped it to 6 (from 8) and it seems to work perfectly now. Phew!

We disassembled stuff on the intake manifold and went to town with some brake cleaner and my new wire wheel attachments for my drill/impact. We're not done yet though!

Might as well do a pic dump....

It's kind of dirty...

After!

Clean on the right, dirty on the left

Tint

Comment

lulz on the tach......

also, you gotta do something about that front plate....SMH, lol. Hell, just bolt it to the front of the hood, would look better than on the dash. And not be a projectile :)

how much did the tint run you? I keep thinking of doing mine, and keep using the money for other things, lol.
          Track/street e21 build
          visit Condor Speed Shop

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"] 1985 318i/M50 Rally Car - 1988 Porsche 924S - 2005 Sequoia tow pig - 2018 GTI

Comment

I just got a set of winterforces for my rear as well. They seem much beefier that the continentals ever were.

I like how you call it torquey. Just imagine if it had an m30....
            ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
            Originally posted by blunttech
            I need you to exfoliate my ballsack
            Build Thread?

Comment

no, he means that the car has a tendency to torque all of its fluids out of the engine and onto the dirt in the grid ;)
              Track/street e21 build
              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

Nice job cleaning up those used parts. The fuel rail looks particularly good.
                Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Originally posted by Click View Post
                  I just got a set of winterforces for my rear as well. They seem much beefier that the continentals ever were.

I like how you call it torquey. Just imagine if it had an m30....
                  I can only dream of an M30...I meant it was torquey, compared to the pathetic HP numbers....

I cleaned up the TB some more last night and it's looking great. Now I just need to finish the left side of the IM.

Comment

lawls, another org OG coming over for rallycross! Enjoy your stay ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                      Howdy! It's been a while since I've seen your name!

Comment

These rally cross builds are seriously making me want to find a beater E30 and get in on the action!
                        91 318is M50 swapped
                        05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

I just found this thread. Wow someone was a real Bondo master creating all of that out of Bondo. Nice work on the fix.

And HOLY OVERBUILT skid plate bracing. That has got to be the strongest part of the car now. Probably lowers the center of gravity a bit and makes the front a hell of a lot stiffer.

Comment

Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                            We are an infestation.
                            Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

Comment

Originally posted by kts View Post
                              I just found this thread. Wow someone was a real Bondo master creating all of that out of Bondo. Nice work on the fix.

And HOLY OVERBUILT skid plate bracing. That has got to be the strongest part of the car now. Probably lowers the center of gravity a bit and makes the front a hell of a lot stiffer.
                              I'm going to try to stage right behind Nick, so he can clear out all the ruts for me :)
                              Track/street e21 build
                              visit Condor Speed Shop

Comment

I'm going to try to stage right behind Nick, so he can clear out all the ruts for me :)
                                This is a very wise plan I think.

Hell, maybe I'll take my E30 out there if he goes first and clears a trail for us.

Comment

Working...
                                X