Z3M radiator with M20 clutch fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z3M radiator with M20 clutch fan

So while in the middle of my TB job- I realized that my radiator has seen better days since '89.

I did some reasearch and found out that the Z3M radiator (17112227281) will be a good upgrade and fits with no modification.

My question is- since I have not received the radiator yet, will the stock fan clutch fit behind this radiator? If not- I have a new aux pusher fan that I just bought a few months ago- if mounting that, would that be sufficient cooling on the m20?

This is what I purchased http://www.ecstuning.com/ES2091918/

Just curious as I'm not sure if I should just invest in getting a SPAL 16'' Pusher or Puller.

Any insight would be great!
    555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
    '95 BMW e34 525i
    '92 BMW e30 325i S52 Vert (Quade the Vert)
    '92 Range Rover Classic
    '90 Range Rover Classic
    '89 BMW e30 325i Coupe (The DIRTY30)
    '81 VW MK1 Rabbit Caddy Diesel
    '76 Honda CB550K Cafe/Brat
    '67 Pontiac LeMans
    '24 Model T Depot Hack
    ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

will the stock fan clutch fit behind this radiator?
    I too would like to know. I raised this question in another thread but never got an answer.

Comment

Lots of guys run no mechanical fan with the stock radiator, so with the upgrade, you should be fine with just the axillary fan.

On my M50 E34, I have a standard size Mishimoto radiator with only the axillary fan and have no problems, even in 90° weather.

Comment

On my e36 M3 I had the z3m rad. No fan would fit. Had to get a slim electric puller, it worked very well.

I've got the z3m rad in my M30 e34 now. It's uhhhmazing. Best OEM upgrade. Even with no fan shroud, it's cooling better than the new, OE 735i rad the car had in it when I wrecked it.
        1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Got my Z3M radiator in this week, man it is a direct fit! Now, the OEM fan clutch WILL FIT, however the fan shroud WILL NOT. So at the end of the day- the answer is YES- you can still use your fan clutch and be fine.

I ended up just getting a SPAL 16'' Puller and wiring it up to my Aux fan and 82*C thermo switch, works like a champ. Needed to mount it to the left of the back of the radiator since the water pump will hit any electric fan you try to make fit. It's a tight fit next to the V-Belt for the water pump and alternator but it works.

555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
          '95 BMW e34 525i
          '92 Range Rover Classic
          '90 Range Rover Classic
          '67 Pontiac LeMans
          '24 Model T Depot Hack
          ....And a bunch of Motobecane, Puch, Garelli, Batavus and Honda 49cc-78cc Mopeds...

Comment

Got my Z3M radiator in this week, man it is a direct fit! Now, the OEM fan clutch WILL FIT, however the fan shroud WILL NOT. So you can still use your fan clutch and be fine.
            Thanks for following up!

Comment

Just following up since someone PM'ed me questioning me what SPAL puller I used.

From the DIY with M20 and Z3M radiator:
              SPAL 30102120 16'' Straight Blade High Performance Fan http://a.co/fHVrg36

This one, even though it is considered "Low Profile" is actually thicker than the one mentioned above and it will NOT fit. Just a heads up:
              SPAL 30100400 16'' Straight Blade Low Profile Fan http://a.co/0GQcf6y
              555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
              '95 BMW e34 525i
              '92 Range Rover Classic
              '90 Range Rover Classic
              '67 Pontiac LeMans
              '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
                Just following up since someone PM'ed me questioning me what SPAL puller I used.

From the DIY with M20 and Z3M radiator:
                SPAL 30102120 16'' Straight Blade High Performance Fan http://a.co/fHVrg36

This one, even though it is considered "Low Profile" is actually thicker than the one mentioned above and it will NOT fit. Just a heads up:
                SPAL 30100400 16'' Straight Blade Low Profile Fan http://a.co/0GQcf6y
                The curved blade flows more air than the straight blade fan but could be noisier
                318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

it's the other way around - curved blade fans are quieter, but flow less air.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

In this specific case, with the two Spal fans of identical dimensions 30102049 (curved blade) and 30102120 (straight blade), the one with the curved fan blades flows more when used as a puller.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Very nice fitting that in
                      NASA
                      BMWCCA member
                      PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                      1997 M3 sedan
                      2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Originally posted by e30s50dan View Post
                        Very nice fitting that in
                        It's real tight....got real lucky. The only PITA that this brings is changing the V belts. Not a lot of room for loosening, tightening or removing them.
                        555Garage - Kingston, PA

'13 BMW e70 X5 35d
                        '95 BMW e34 525i
                        '92 Range Rover Classic
                        '90 Range Rover Classic
                        '67 Pontiac LeMans
                        '24 Model T Depot Hack

Comment

Originally posted by Klug View Post
                          Got my Z3M radiator in this week, man it is a direct fit! Now, the OEM fan clutch WILL FIT, however the fan shroud WILL NOT. So at the end of the day- the answer is YES- you can still use your fan clutch and be fine.
                          I had no problem fitting the Z3M radiator with the fan shroud and the OEM fan clutch.

Comment

Working...
                          X