No announcement yet.

1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh one more fun fact that I found out about the PO today. Among many things I guess he wasnt fond of his safety. I am actually now thanking my lucky stars that it didnt cause a major catastrophe when I was driving the car the 117miles on the day I purchased it.

So I was taking apart both rear brakes so I could remove parking brake cables when I started on the drivers rear brake.

I go to remove the two allen bolts that connect the caliper to the carrier and I cant find the bottom one. I thought is it deeper then usual and I am just not putting the socket in far enough? NOPE! There was no bottom bolt, completely missing. So I go to remove the top one next, and while its in there, it was already completely out, the only thing holding it in was the cap.

So basically zero bolts holding the caliper to the carrier on the right rear, I popped the clip and it pulled right out.
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
      Tried that didnt work. Looks like I will have to drill them out.
      I would suck with the weld option, plus heat. Just keep at it. My 318is had those same bolts frozen. PB blaster for 2 days, heat soak and vise grips finally got them out
      I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
      DB vert plastic bumpers
      OEM Keys
      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
      91 ic Calypso 3.1
      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
      TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
      e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
        I would suck with the weld option, plus heat. Just keep at it. My 318is had those same bolts frozen. PB blaster for 2 days, heat soak and vise grips finally got them out
        Wanna stop by and help lol!!!

Comment

So the subframe is out!!

After a few ours of drilling, banging and almost killing myself its done!

First bolt came out normally. These second one I was able to get out with a bolt extractor. The next two not so lucky, I had to drill through them and pop them out.

Found a new little rust spot, not too bad, need to cut that and get new piece welded in, other then that its in pretty good shape down there.

I had to cut the Ebrake, cables, I tried to get them out they just were stuck so bad. I ordered some new cables I will get them out now that the subframe is out of the way. I know lazy, but I was really tired and I just wanted this thing down already!!

Comment

Oh and I finished painting the diff cover for the new 3.46 and pushed in a brand new Z3M bushing to replace the old one.

The old one seemed in good condition, but while I had the Diff out I figured might was well change and upgrade it now.

Comment

Put Wurth coating on the bottom of the new tank today to give it more of that OEM rust coated look. I love this Wurth stuff!! I plan on coating the bottom of the car and wheel wells with it as well to make the bottom of the car shine like new as well as give it a bit more rust proofing. I need to power wash and degrease it first, but no time like the present with the tank, drive shaft and rear subframe about to be removed.

I finally pulled the new 3.46 diff out to get it prepped for install. I am going to replace the gasket and put in new fluid.I was also going to repaint it but really the body of the Diff is in really good shape! So I will probably just repaint the diff cover which isnt bad but not as clean as the rest of the stuff.

These babies came in too! Converting to studs.

I have a 3.46 LSD in my s54 swap - I think it’s perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

taking the vert out shortly for our last drive this season.. was about to PM you to offer help..
                Glad to see you got it figured out

Diff studs are for the axles? Curious why? Or are they for he wheels haha

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Sleeves on the parking brake cables rust in place. Just PB blast and heat several times, then twist out. Be careful not to damage the cable pipes

HOWTOs:
                  DB vert plastic bumpers
                  OEM Keys
                  MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                  91 ic Calypso 3.1
                  86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Sleeves on the parking brake cables rust in place. Just PB blast and heat several times, then twist out. Be careful not to damage the cable pipes
                    Yea that’s what I plan on doing with them, may be easier now that the subframe is out of the way.

I will take your help when it’s time to pull the engine!

Comment

I will take your help when it’s time to pull the engine!
                      Deal

HOWTOs:
                      DB vert plastic bumpers
                      OEM Keys
                      MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                      91 ic Calypso 3.1
                      86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

taking the vert out shortly for our last drive this season.. was about to PM you to offer help..
                        Glad to see you got it figured out

Diff studs are for the axles? Curious why? Or are they for he wheels haha
                        For the wheels lol

Comment

Finally feel like I am getting somewhere with the car. So as you saw subframe is out, started taking it apart. One thing I wish I did was remove the rear hub nut while it was on the car, oh well need to use the trusty vice to hold it now.

Out with the old and look at the new!!

The 4.10 LSD is for sale, it isnt pretty but its an LSD. I have an ad in the classified section.

Next I got to dropping my dented tank, which I found a few more dents on. It wasnt as hard as I thought it was, especially with the subframe out of the car, I had so much room to work now!

I think the Chipmunk was living on top of the tank, thats a lot of acorns.

I also thing they were gnawing at this to tube which I believe is part of the Evap system. It goes into the body work and look so impossible to change. I think it had a little slack when the tank was up, I am thinking of cutting the end and connecting it with a fresh end.

Thoughts? Is there a way to extend it?

It was such a beautiful day yesterday to work on the car need a few more like this before its too cold. M3 lurking in the background.
                          Last edited by Staszek; 10-22-2017, 03:10 PM.

Comment

That’s probably just he charcoal canister return hose. Trace it back, and make sure whatever fitting it was attached to on the tank is still there. Or kill it once you go form it is the canister return hose since you’re swapping in a diff motor anyway. I personally try to keep all the emissions stuff in place and functioning, but that’s me.

Are you adding rear camber/toe adjust plates to the rear subframe? Kit available from e30tech

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

That’s probably just he charcoal canister return hose. Trace it back, and make sure whatever fitting it was attached to on the tank is still there. Or kill it once you go form it is the canister return hose since you’re swapping in a diff motor anyway. I personally try to keep all the emissions stuff in place and functioning, but that’s me.

Are you adding rear camber/toe adjust plates to the rear subframe? Kit available from e30tech
                              They are already built in on the Garagistic subframes :)

Yea I like emissions in tact. I will trace it back.

Some more new goodies. Upgraded to the E30 M3 rear sway at 14.5mm. I have the E30 Vert 21mm one for the front.

Weird thing was this is OEM BMW but also has Eibach markings on it. Didnt know they made suspension parts for the E30 as an OEM.

[/url]

Comment

Finally pulled the new springs out of the box too. While I want the car lower I am not one of those people who want it slammed and dont like removing spring pads.

I was able to get a 5mm thinner version of the stock pads.

Comment

Working...
                                X