Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poll: Changing color of instrument cluster housing

Hey guys,

If someone is following my project thread, I am now rebuilding my instrument colors. I had added trim rings and colored the needles red but with the SI board going bad, I wanted to take this opportunity. I will replace every bulb with LEDs. I found a match for every single one from bulbs I had or ordered to test from Superbrightleds.com. I can provide this info after I have them all installed and confirmed working. I should receive them tomorrow.

I have create pigtail extensions from an old cluster to do my testing on top of the dashboard. Here is a picture of the cables and the work fine:

Here is the picture of the stock gray cluster with the red needles. The picture fades the red and the fuel and temp gauges are pending. In the temp, I have an e32 needles that I was playing with.

Here is the black one. I use left over Colorbond spray paint which uses the BMW black for interior pieces. I have been using this for other interior pieces with great success.

Gray(Stock)
    25.00%
    Black
    75.00%
    Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

idk if i would call stock grey, more like faded black. But it looks good restored to black
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

If you do go with the Black, maybe try some matte chromed trim rings
      Muy Bueno

Comment

Stock is not grey, stock is black. You're just seeing aged plastic. The original cluster plastic very closely matched the black on the tachometer and speedometer.

I like your paint job though, big improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
          Stock is not grey, stock is black. You're just seeing aged plastic. The original cluster plastic very closely matched the black on the tachometer and speedometer.

I like your paint job though, big improvement.
          Had no idea. I guess will go with black then foir th e stock look. All I have seen in person have been this faded black color.

Now wondering abouy changing the rings to black. Saw some for sale, matte or gloss and making me think about it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is the black cluster with 2 rings installed. Now deciding to go with these rings or get some stain black ones. Matte black is available but prefer satin to have it pop.

Comment

Unless they faded right there at the factory, I'm pretty sure they was the dark gray that yours is/was. All the factory pictures in the brochures show the dark gray and no where even comes close to the black gauges.

Anyways I went with a different route in mine. I did a black flocking and black chrome rings. But past e30s I did have various combos. Very light gray with chrome rings, medium gray with chrome rings, black with satin rings, black with red rings.

1992 BMW 325iC
              1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
              1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                Unless they faded right there at the factory, I'm pretty sure they was the dark gray that yours is/was. All the factory pictures in the brochures show the dark gray and no where even comes close to the black gauges.

Anyways I went with a different route in mine. I did a black flocking and black chrome rings. But past e30s I did have various combos. Very light gray with chrome rings, medium gray with chrome rings, black with satin rings, black with red rings.
                Thats what I thought and never really paid attention to other clusters in person. Also being so old, it could have faded but still a gray tone.

I am going to go with black satin rings and will sell the matte aluminium ones.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

In the end, decided to go with the black refreshed cluster and then went with some satin black clusters rings. While the aluminum had a nice contrast, it didnt match the stainless steel color of the shifter/ebrake and I rather a more less subtle contrast to match closer to stock. The satin rings just do it right. I have all the LEDS in and working and hope to post a picture of it when it is all installed.

Here is a before and after:

After:

Comment

Working...
                  X