Diagnosing inop reverse light issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diagnosing inop reverse light issue

I've been working on trying to get my reverse lights to work and I need a little help. When I got the car, the small harness that goes from the reverse light switch up through the tunnel to the boot was missing, so I bought that. I also found out that the PO had cut the wires off the main branch of the harness that that small harness connects to, so I snatched that up as well. When I spliced the wires together, connected the small harness to that, then connected the terminals to the reverse light switch, nothing happens when putting it in reverse.

I think that the switch is bad. I used a jumper wire and jumped the two terminals like someone had suggested but still got nothing when turning the car on. What do you guys think, bad switch?

Originally posted by Sevorith View Post
    I've been working on trying to get my reverse lights to work and I need a little help. When I got the car, the small harness that goes from the reverse light switch up through the tunnel to the boot was missing, so I bought that. I also found out that the PO had cut the wires off the main branch of the harness that that small harness connects to, so I snatched that up as well. When I spliced the wires together, connected the small harness to that, then connected the terminals to the reverse light switch, nothing happens when putting it in reverse.

I think that the switch is bad. I used a jumper wire and jumped the two terminals like someone had suggested but still got nothing when turning the car on. What do you guys think, bad switch?
    Check the fuse
    1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
    1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
    1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
    1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
    2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
    2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
    2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
    2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

Comment

Do you know if the fuse governs any other electronics?

Comment

Originally posted by Sevorith View Post
        Do you know if the fuse governs any other electronics?
        If I remember correctly it is the same fuse that supplies power to the gauge pod, (fuse #10) maybe.
        A bentley manual is much help or search the forums.
        1988 325 non-letter Seta "Bronzit"
        1991 325ic "Laguna Green" (Sold)
        1993 325i "Laguna Green/Silver" (Sold)
        1998 528i "Artic Silver" m-sport(totalled by drunk driver)
        2000 528i Titansilber/gray m-sport
        2000 528i Titansilber/black m-sport(sold)
        2001 525i Anthracite m-sport(sold)
        2013 750i Black/Black m-sport "Beast"

Comment

I checked the fuses, all looks good.

Comment

Have you checked the bulbs, I know it sounds simple and you know you have power at the reverse switch when it's in reverse? Then I would say the switch is bad. They are cheap.
            https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Do the power check at the bulb. If no power then check fuses and then check if you get continuity across the switch with it installed and gears in reverse. If you installed the switch with a crush washer it will prevent the switch from getting in far enough to engage.

Comment

I've made good progress with this but I have hit a bit of a road block.

So the green/white wire that runs to the fusebox was cut under the dash, which is why I wasn't getting power. The weird thing is that the green/white wire coming from the transmission back up under the dash goes into the C302 connector at pin F, which is apparently supposed to be unused. I don't know if the PO plugged this wire in there or what, but I'm having trouble finding the connector that mates to that pin. I'm half inclined to just cut the wire out of the connector and splice it to the green/white wire that was cut.

Comment

Working...
                X