No announcement yet.

1990 325is restomod project aka "Klaus"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here is the most recent update from today.

Car is in the garage, hood is off, sans little friends.

I know you are loving the blue intake and head cover :) dont be jealous, the PO loved blue, he also painted the calipers blue too.

Now the process of disconnecting everything. First I started draining the coolant from the radiator. The PO used regular green coolant. It looked nice and clean.....at first.
    [/url]
    That doesnt look right, that was what came out at the end of the radiator drain.

Radiator out

Disconnected, PS lines, coolant lines, throttle cables, misc connectors, intake/MAF, and engine ground.

Taking a break for the night. Tomorrow I will get to the headers, and trans mount.

Also I have to get the AC line off, this thing is super tight any suggestions?
    Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Oh I also bought some goodies. Brand new E36 AC Compressor (already have the can bus setup to make it work with the S54 ECU), and a new Behr Z3, 3 core radiator.

Comment

Got a few more things done today. I still cant crack the AC line off the compressor. How have others gotten that thing off! Its like welded on.

First I found another home for nature, little wasp next living between the headlights. It was dead and I knew it was there, the guy who did my rust repair said he saw it when he was checking around the car for extra rust. This is the first time I have seen it.

Next onto the headers and section one of the exhaust. They were surprisingly easier to take off then I thought. With all the rust on the bolts I expected them to be a pain. I did blast them all last night with PB, probably helped. Some of the bolts were really hard to get to though, but came out clean.

Also removed all the grills and the headlights, now I have no face:).

That's it for now. Looks like i have to disconnect the two AC lines, the oil cooler lines and the trans mount and the engine should be ready to pull.

Comment

So disconnected a few more things, finally got the AC line off. Removed the compressor, that will go up for sale as well as a few other things that were working well on the motor.

AC condenser and AUX fan is out.

About to send the S54 out to get a refresh. I also bought some new accessories, E36 a/c compressor, new PS Pump, some new pulleys, also getting a new starter.
          Beisan Systems Seals Repair Kit
          Beisan Systems Solenoid Pack
          Beisan Systems Sealing Plate Repair Kit
          Beisan Systems Oil Pump Disk
          Beisan Systems Exhaust Upper Chain Guide
          BMW S54B32 Valve Cover Gasket
          BMW S54B32 Spark Plug Seals
          BMW S54B32 Valve Cover Grommets
          BMW S54B32 VANOS Cover Stud Grommet
          BMW S54B32 Oil Drain Crush Washer
          BMW S54B32 Oil Accumulator Crush Washer
          BMW S54B32 VANOS Gasket
          BMW S54B32 VANOS Filter
          BMW S54B32 Camshaft Sprocket Bolts
          BMW S54B32 Chain Guide Mounting Bolt Washer
          BMW S54B32 Chain Tensioner Washer
          BMW S62B50 Diaphragm Spring and Pressure Plate
          BMW S54B32 VANOS Rebuild
          BMW S54B32 Valve Adjustment
          BMW S54B32 Rod Bearings (Upper)
          BMW S54B32 Rod Bearings (Lower)
          ARP Rod Bolts - S54B32 M11
          BMW S54B32 Oil Pan Gasket
          BMW S54B32 Oil Pan Cone Gasket
          BMW S54B32 Oil Service Kit
          BMW S54B32 10W60

Comment

That $54 rebuild list is looking mighty fine!
            1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
            1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              That $54 rebuild list is looking mighty fine!
              Yea not cheap lol. But I decided to take more time and get it all done while the engine is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                Yea not cheap lol. But I decided to take more time and get it all done while the engine is out.
                Smart move. Dont want to be dealing with BS after you get it in.

Obviously you have a lot of work ahead of you. The key is to make progress, whether its big or small. Progress is progess
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                  Smart move. Dont want to be dealing with BS after you get it in.

Obviously you have a lot of work ahead of you. The key is to make progress, whether its big or small. Progress is progess
                  Decided to push myself and make the time. Goal is can I get this thing running by the end of the summer!

Comment

Where did you have the center consoles and door cards wrapped? Cool thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Thunderzol View Post
                      Where did you have the center consoles and door cards wrapped? Cool thread!

This guy, he made them all. I think he still does it you need to reach off him.

Comment

Pulling the engine over the fourth weekend, but until then a goodie came in today!

Fresh new S54 Z3 engine harness!

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                          Pulling the engine over the fourth weekend, but until then a goodie came in today!

Fresh new S54 Z3 engine harness!
                          I dont even want to know how much that cost! ... thats so badass though. Im happy for you, this is going to rock
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                            I dont even want to know how much that cost! ... thats so badass though. Im happy for you, this is going to rock
                            Not cheap, but I got lucky they raised the prices on them recently to over $600, but I got mine for lets just say less then that :). Still not cheap but the harness that came with the engine got a but messed up when they took it out and would have needed a bit of repair. I figured why not go for the longer one so I could mount the ECU in the glove box.

Comment

Even at $600 maybe it’s worth it for the piece of mind knowing there’s no funny business in the harness.

Have a fun 4th make sure you have some fireworks to fire out of that empty engine bay haha
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

wow, this has come a long way since i've seen it last. straight money-pit; which is so enjoyable to see put together. Good work on the rear subframe.

Comment

Working...
                                X