No announcement yet.

Ireland Engineering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FWIW, I've mostly had good luck with IE. there are definitely things that I haven't been impressed with and I won't sugar coat it. However, overall, there's probably a reason they're still around.

Some of the parts I've bought from IE are now almost 10 years old and still going strong (bushings, brake lines, I can't even remember everything). I also really like their HD rockers (glad they fixed the casting issues).
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Thanks guys

Originally posted by Acehye559 View Post
      Will be ordering a couple bushings and front sway bar. Discounts for r3v members?
      No discount, I believe in advertising the lowest possible price is more honest than playing 'sales/free shipping' head games. For a lot of parts we make, prices have not increased in over a decade (I know because I do the markups).

The only sale is the annual black-friday sale which is possible due to the higher volume of orders (within a short period of time) makes up for the lower profit margin. This theory also applies to the occasional enthusiast-organized 'group-buys'.
      ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Item: red spark plug wires with impulse sensor
        Shipping: ups shipped Friday received the following Monday.
        Would totally buy from again

-
        Project
        Parts for Sale
        Feedback
        YouTube Channel

Comment

IE has fair prices for the parts they sell, quality can be reflected in those parts as well. Respect to them for making parts for our older cars, they were the first company I bought "performance" parts from for my car.

Here are some notes on their parts that I have purchased for my E30:

1. Adjustable fuel pressure regulator gauge died after a year, swapped it out for a generic one.

2. 25mm front sway bar moves to one side of the car more than the other — I checked out the specE30 forums and this is a common problem with them as well.

3. Purchased blue spark plug wire set when I first purchased my car about 2 years ago — last month the #1 spark plug wire ripped from the boot. No big deal, possibly a wear and tear issue, however, I had been running those DEI heat wraps on all six wires. Purchased new ones from pelicanparts, haven't had problems yet.

4. "IE short shift kit" sheared/broke on track at willow springs. Had this for about 2 years on the car. It broke at the hole in the shifter where the rubber dampening is inserted upon construction. No warranty for that, so I upgraded to a real short shifter (AKG).

that's the original Jaffster knob on there fyi

Again, fair prices for the mostly cheap E30 crowd.
          Last edited by robgoesvroom; 05-25-2012, 07:34 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

Good guys all around, buy from them all the time. As with any business had a few issues, but owning a business know all to well, just a mistake. Important thing is their quick response and their remedy.
            sigpic
            New website releasing soon www.gutenparts.com Guten Parts + Service | Facebook | Twitter

Levent
            %20levent@gutenparts.com

Comment

Good experiences
              Oil Cooler cap for M/S50/52s good job. I even buy filters from you still.
              I've bought a few things here and there, even talked with you guys. Good service overall...

Bad Product Review though:
              Polyurethane Engine mounts (yellow ones)
              Melted Exhaust side one useless.
              Replaced with solid one, but left driver's side because of problems fitting second solid engine mount. I tore the top off that Poly mount in no time. Had to modify second solid mount to install easier.

Solution guys - watch out for material temp and put a godamm rod through the whole mount. The molded in upside down hex bolt solution for stud is just terrible and borderline half assed. Did your engineer not foresee that being lifted right out? Anyways. It cost me half a track day... and i new it was gonna happen, yet tracked and checked after every session. Both sides deformed from heat as well... just a bad product in your line. Please pass on my concerns to the chef.
              No more e30s for me.
              88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
              88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
              91 BMW 325i [sold]
              86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

etxxz, great review. i can't see anything but good coiming out of feedback from track use., I mean, what else could one ask for ?

race track tested and hopefully re-evaluated version to follow. win win.

Comment

Bought the IE strut bar. It shipped quickly, fit well, and works as designed.
                  Originally posted by blunttech
                  Always Always go for the reach around if there is an option

Comment

Went down and pick up some parts with my friend
                    while down there i pickup a poly steering coupler, I've had a few issues with there shipping department never getting my address right but the owner(i think) took the time to make it right in his computer system, he also answered all of my stupid questions and seems to be a really nice guy that makes some great stuff i cant wait to put this steering guibo in
                    88 325is Five Speed
                    Lachssilber

Comment

I spoke with SkiFree at SoCal Vintage - really nice guy, informed and enthusiastic. Will buy from IE.
                      I Timothy 2:1-2

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
                        Bad Product Review though:
                        Polyurethane Engine mounts (yellow ones)
                        Melted Exhaust side one useless.
                        Replaced with solid one, but left driver's side because of problems fitting second solid engine mount. I tore the top off that Poly mount in no time. Had to modify second solid mount to install easier.

Solution guys - watch out for material temp and put a godamm rod through the whole mount. The molded in upside down hex bolt solution for stud is just terrible and borderline half assed. Did your engineer not foresee that being lifted right out? Anyways. It cost me half a track day... and i new it was gonna happen, yet tracked and checked after every session. Both sides deformed from heat as well... just a bad product in your line. Please pass on my concerns to the chef.
                        etxxz - etxxz - Thanks for the feedback, you weren't the first unfortunately. I think that a bolt-through mount is even more of a half-assed way to do it. It simply becomes a very skinny solid mount. The only thing it has going for it is that it is very cheap to produce (whoever is making the mounts this way is making a killing).

The yellow engine mounts have been frustrating to deal with since I started. With the new version of the mounts, we didn't want the bolt itself sunk deep into the urethane. What we do now is elongate both end-plates and bend them into the urethane (opposing each-other at 90'). In the urethane these "claws" penetrate past each other at 90' from each other and effectively hold themselves in place. This solution gives us what I feel is the best of all-worlds.

Outside of our shop testing/racing, Anthony was running the new mounts when he took the SpecE30 Nat. Championship this year. They survived a LeMons 24hour race, and they lived through the 25 Hours of Thunderhill race. IE was the first to make Urethane motor mounts for the E30, and while that's changed I believe they are the best performing mounts on the market (albeit I'm somewhat bias).

Heat is always going to be a potential issue with any motor mount outside of a solid metal mount. I've also seen A LOT of mounts (ours and others) fail simply due to over tightening, they only need 25 ft/lb's with a new lock nut.
                        ADAMS Autosport

Comment

Got some gifts for the M3 for Christmas, I have used IE before and have always loved there products and great customer service.

Comment

How long is does it usually take to process an international order? I put an order down last week and still haven't heard anything back yet.
                            sigpic

Comment

Usually less than a week, however as mentioned on the homepage of the website we're still on the tail end of moving shops and have a pent-up back log of orders.

PM me your name and order number and we'll go from there.
                              ADAMS Autosport

Comment

I like Ireland Engineering and their products.

a) Good quality and price range
                                b) If there's ever a problem they take care of it.
                                c) I understand that some aftermarket parts do not fit as good as oem.
                                d) all of the above.

Over 10 years ago I had issues with their rear sway bar, it was too wide for it to fit between frame rails., please see pics.

After a few phone calls and crappy pictures I decided to drive down there with bar rigged so they could see what the problem was. Well, after taking a look and checking their shelfs they realized that a small batch of bars were bent the wrong way, those were discarded and new ones redone.

Thanks Jeff and crew for quick turn around, 134K miles later it still holds on strong. Just saying, a little customer involvement can make things go a long way, whining, well ... there's cheese for that.

Last edited by fporro; 04-16-2014, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X