No announcement yet.

My '93 Mauritius Blue E30 Convertible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. Not usually a fan of bags and all that, but this execution puts many others to shame.
    1989 M3
    2008 135i 6sp

Comment

This is a really nice e30.

Comment

I would have to agree with dball4 completely, this is a great exception. I really like the roundels, they seem to work well with the color and are a simple touch. Just remember that less is more, I learned that the hard way and with everything you listed for plans it seems you are on track. I'm only saying that because you went for bags and wheels first, but it's working now!
        1991 325i Calypso Coupe

Like Grandfather, Like Father, Like Son
        BMW

Comment

Looks so good! love that blue!
          -Adam

Comment

Wow it has been a while since I've updated anything. I sold the Meisters and rocked the stock wheels for quite some time while paying attention to repairing and maintaining the car in a lot of ways. I've had a lot of work done to it but all that is pretty boring and lacking any photos so I'll just gloss over it haha.

Had the car for sale for a while too, and in the interim between the last post and now, I've left my job and entered grad school. I made a deal with myself that if I didn't sell it by the time I started school, I'd just keep it. Luckily I was probably asking too much for the car and no sale! So it is here to stay ;D

So on to Work Wheels set #2. I ordered a set of Work Equip 03s from Evasive Motorsports back in September. Of course there was a bit of a waiting period while they got made, but they finally made it to me a couple of days ago.

Here is a test fit photo from my phone:

Test Fit - My E30 by Kevin Church, on Flickr

Specs:
            Front: 15x8.5 +3 A-Disk (w/ 5mm spacer) 175/55 15
            Rear: 15x9.5 +13 O-Disk 195/50 15

I need to do a full shoot of it as I've also added a couple interior goodies. I got the tires mounted last night and set it on the ground in the garage. I'm super happy with the outcome but I've got some ridiculous toe-in on the rear when air'd out and still quite a bit at drive height, so that means it's time for an adjustable rear subframe. That'll come soon enough, hopefully.

My E30 - Garage by Kevin Church, on Flickr

Better photos coming soon. I'm going to try to go out and shoot it this afternoon but no promises.
            1993 325i Cabrio Mauritius Blau
            2015 BRZ Premium Crystal Black Silica
            flickr

Comment

so nice! Which bag setup did you go with?

Comment

So dope. Makes me wonder how my 92 vert will do. Lucky you, found a manual and everything....I gotta swap mine to manual !

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Star View Post
                  so nice! Which bag setup did you go with?
                  So I had a custom setup pieced together by Open Road Tuning

AirLift 75563 Universal Front Struts
                  Air House 2 rear bags
                  5 gallon tank
                  dual Viair compressors
                  AccuAir E-Level management with VU4 manifold
                  3/8" lines

I bagged the car almost 3 years ago, and now that the AirLift 3H management is out I kind of want to upgrade to that so I can control pressure as well, but I doubt I'll do it any time soon. There's nothing wrong with the E-Level management system, it's just kind of outdated now. Also, I still have stock struts in the rear so I am looking into shorter aftermarket options at the moment. Thinking about doing the whole camaro or W124 shocks thing.

Originally posted by quanaman View Post
                  So dope. Makes me wonder how my 92 vert will do. Lucky you, found a manual and everything....I gotta swap mine to manual !
                  Well depending on mileage and previous maintenance history, could be great or could be a shit show haha. Good luck with it. I've had mine from like 92k miles to 100k now and I've had to replace so many things even with a fairly responsible maintenance history, though apparently nobody ever changed the transmission fluid until I did recently

All that being said, it was a good find for sure, but of course all E30s are going to need a significant amount of attention. Good luck with the swap too.

Here is a better photo of the car air'd out, though yet again it is from instagram lol. Once the snow melts here I'll for sure do a real shoot of it.

My E30 by Kevin Church, on Flickr
                  Last edited by KevinC; 01-07-2017, 03:20 PM.
                  1993 325i Cabrio Mauritius Blau
                  2015 BRZ Premium Crystal Black Silica
                  flickr

Comment

Good morning Kevin,

Sorry for digging this back up, but I am wondering what modification(s) you have made to reduce chassis flex. Also, would you say that the air bag suspension has reduced flex or amplified it?

I have had my vert for a couple years now and have installed a strut bar as well as a Garagistic X-brace. The combination of the two have been a great improvement for chassis flex, but I am searching for other improvements and thinking this solution could be a contender. My thought process is that it could reduce flex and provide more damping, similar to large trucks using bags vs springs (yes I know the two spring setups are entirely different, i.e. leaf vs billy/spring combo).

I appreciate any insight!

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by elrobinio View Post
                      Good morning Kevin,

Sorry for digging this back up, but I am wondering what modification(s) you have made to reduce chassis flex. Also, would you say that the air bag suspension has reduced flex or amplified it?

I have had my vert for a couple years now and have installed a strut bar as well as a Garagistic X-brace. The combination of the two have been a great improvement for chassis flex, but I am searching for other improvements and thinking this solution could be a contender. My thought process is that it could reduce flex and provide more damping, similar to large trucks using bags vs springs (yes I know the two spring setups are entirely different, i.e. leaf vs billy/spring combo).

I appreciate any insight!

Rob
                      I don't know if these guys still make this for the e30 but I remember hearing good reviews way back: http://www.strong-strut.com/
                      Build Threads:
                      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Working...
                      X