Need Dealer Hookup for E36 Key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Dealer Hookup for E36 Key

I bought a 94 325i from a bank in Lebanon, TN that had the car because the owners of a foreclosed home had abandoned it. I have a bill of sale but the dealer always requires a title or registration to get a key cut for these fuckers.

I don't want to spend $100+ on a title just so I can get a damn key cut. I need one key to start this bastard so I can decide what it needs and whether it's worth even getting a title for.

Anyone on here work at a dealership that I can slip some $$ to get a key cut for this thing?

People can lose their jobs for that... Its pretty serious. Your probably going to need a title, besides you can't register or sell it without a title...

Comment

What Winston said +1.

You might have better luck trying to get someone at the bank to get a key cut for you, since the bank is the legal owner (the way I understand it....?).

If you just want to start the car, you can probably unplug the key switch somewhere under the dash and either use another ignition switch or hot-wire the ignition to start the car. The steering wheel will still be locked using this method.......

Have you even tried to get the key from a dealer using the bill of sale?? Explain to them that you bought it without a key, and you don't want to transfer the title if the car is a total POS and you need to start the car to find that out. They might be able to do it for you if you get a reasonable parts manager to help you out.

I know BMA can get keys as well, might be worth a call to Patrick or Yves explaining your situation and see what they say. They told me that BMW no longer gives them a discount on keys, so expect to pay full price- but it might be worth a call.

Think outside the box.............

Bret.

Comment

Not only are dealers strict with keys but bmw is as well, they don't accept bill of sales as proof of ownership.

Bill of sales mean nothing to bmw or dealers and can be easily produced on any computer.

How much is the car? You might just have to take a chance.

Comment

hotwire it then you don't have to pay for a key
          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

I'm not sure if 94's have them (probably not) but if that car has EWS you can't hotwire it without the key.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
              I'm not sure if 94's have them (probably not) but if that car has EWS you can't hotwire it without the key.
              95 and up have ews...

Comment

Didn't all e36's have laser cut keys?? I know that my '96 did.. and the only way to get a replacement was to call BMW in Germany and have them get one of the spares out of their safe.

Comment

big safe huh?
                  ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

theres no spares in a safe, at least I hope not. When I had the volvo dealer do it for my 850, they just wrote down the vin from my title, and someone at Volvo of North America (in canada noless) undoubtedly looked my vin up, matched it to a code, typed the code in the computer controlled key maker doohicky, and 36$ later I had a key.

Comment

I only paid $600 for the car so I may just hotwire it with a cheap ignition from Auto Zone.

Is there any trick to unlocking the damn steering wheel so I can atleast move this car into my driveway?

Comment

Do you have a few hours? Then you can unlock the steering wheel. You'll have to remove the steering lock / lock cylinder from the steering column.

If you just want to start it, undo the lower steering cover, remove the two hidden grub screws (part #4) holding the ignition switch (#3) to the lock cylinder and pull the switch off the cylinder. You can then use a screwdriver to start the car.

Would-be thieves take note, you can't move the car because the steering will still be locked.

In order to remove the steering lock, you must remove the airbag (2 Torx screws), the upper and lower cover, and the steering wheel (mark original position). Remove the control stalk console (#8). Then remove the two tamper-proof screws (number 11 in the diagram) using a chisel, or by slotting with a Dremel and screwing it out with a stubby flathead. This is a BITCH. MAJOR bitch.

Remove the steering lock from the car. Reinstall the control stalk console and the steering wheel (make sure the airbag pin on the steering wheel aligns with the airbag ring). You should now be able to start and drive the car.

I had to replace my steering lock and key cylinder when it failed on my 328. It is virtually identical on the 325.

I'm sure there's a way to pound a screwdriver into the key cylinder and turn the cylinder with a pipe wrench or something, but I'm not certain. I only fix cars, not steal them! :mrgreen:
                        Attached Files

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Don't you have to unlock the steering wheel to remove it? You do on the E30...
                          John in MD - 1991 318is
                          190k miles and still rolling!

Comment

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.

Originally posted by whysimon
                            WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Working...
                            X