Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting springs?

Not as lame or ricer as it sounds.

I am replacing my struts right now and I am going to take my springs in to get blasted to get some of the corrosion buildup off them. Is there anything I should use to paint them just to protect from further corrosion? Or will normal rattle can enamel work out?
    Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

You could use some POR-15 on them. Or any other rust resistant nice thick paint. I personally would just get some aftermarket springs while you have it apart...
    :: PNW Crew ::
    '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

I would definitely use POR15 if you wanna stop rust. Powdercoating would work well, but I imagine it may f'up your spring rates.

Once you get do all that work to get your front struts in and out, you are going to be pretty pissed you didn't put springs in. I would just buy a set.
      Originally posted by Teaguer
      Filling an Eta's tank with super unleaded will reach the cars maximum attainable performance level .

Aa a bonus filling the tank will also double any Eta's resale value .

Comment

Just rattle can them with some Rustoleum or something. Not worth it to spend any more on it IMO.

I wouldn't think POR15 would work as it might be too thick/hard and crack when the spring is compressed.

Comment

I would think that most any paint would crack off. You would probably need to sand then a little to get the paint to stick.
          Originally posted by KingB
          Scratch my back and I buy a prostitute for you, to rub your balls. HAHA now thats some funny shit.

Comment

Yeah thats what I was mainly worried about, painting them or something then just having it all crack off.

I don't need/want new springs. They are on my m3 and my m3 is low enough for me. If I ever do anything I will throw down for a nice coil over or something.
            Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

There must be a way, some bike springs are painted and don't crack ;)

Comment

Try that rubberized bumper paint.

Comment

If you do paint them AND since it is an M3 i would make sure you can still see the part numbers , if they are still present so that if you opt for better springs at a later date you might be able to recoup some money on the sale of the old ones. Springs with no part numbers are practically impossible to sell.
                  :pimp:

Comment

Powdercoating will work, but I don't know if you want to spend the money to get them done.

The cheap way to go would just be to spray paint them and call it a day. The more expensive proper way would to have them powdercoated.

Comment

Working...
                    X